For those that go to group - do you like your Consultant?

speccyblue

Hello everyone.

I am asking the above question as when I initially joined my local SW group, I was ready to leave after a couple of weeks. I joined the group because the Consultant was a man and I thought that would be fun and different. I nearly joined another group as was so rubbish at being my Consultant.

He never replied to my email when I said that I was going to be away, he ignored me on quite a few occasions and he never did anything interesting at the meetings, just the same old tired format and talking to his "favourites". I only stayed to see if I had won the raffle lol.

I have a great temporary Consultant and she's being replaced by another lady that I like.

I find it does make a massive difference to your weight loss and enthusiasm if you like your Consultant. I feel much more likely to participate with the group and stay for a couple of hours. I feel that I am able to asked her questions and she will text and ring me if I'm having a difficult week.

So I am interested to see what people think of their Consultants, whether they are good (usually the case I have found) or not so good (rarer examples).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Yep mine is great, she's funny, down to earth, friendly, informative and treats everyone pretty much the same, even those that don't stay, she'll chat to them whilst they're Qing to be weighed
She's very encouraging and full of ideas

Personally I don't think much of mine at all, I don't find her encouraging or all that friendly. It's almost of if she just doesn't want to be there most of the time.

I will be moving groups as of next week, having moved out of the ex's house and into my own teeny weeny pad thsi coming weekend. Decided to carry on with SW, go to the new class and even stay for the whole thing - hey, it gets me away from my own company for an evening!

So, fingers crossed I get a better consultant at the new class!

I love my consultant - she's funny, supportive and very inspirational!

She always chats to you - no matter if you have been there for 2 years, or 2 weeks, she always tries to make you feel at home.

She's quite funny, and very over the top at times, but that's what I like about her. She can always make you laugh, even if you've had a bad result one week - she always sees a positive in a negative situation.

Our raffle prizes are always great, and she makes a real effort to include different and unusual prizes, rather than the usual packet of savoury rice, fruit, etc.

A lot of the time she brings in other prizes too, and plays games with us. This makes group a lot more fun, and is very motivational, in quite a subliminal way - it get's you thinking about things in a different light.

As well as the consultant, the other group members are fantastic too! I have often read about classes having 'cliques', and becoming quite awkward, but our group seems to be the total opposite! I am so happy I managed to find such a great group, with an even greater consultant and fantastic members! :D

Mine was nice but soo boring. After weigh on all she did was read out each person and whether they had lost or gained. What help is that? I would have loved recipe ideas, hints etc. Only stayed 3 weeks and then lost it all at home myself (still followed SW and LOVE it!!)

Mine is wonderful! She's the best I have ever had, and believe me ive been to a few classes in my time!!!

She's a similar age to me and she has a great personality. I've really got to know her over the months and I'd really miss her if stopped going!

Just got a new consultant and loving her! I had stopped staying with the last one. The new C is so much more organised, fridge magnets, games, weekly competitions, I even got a glittery stone in a little muslin bag for losing my first stone!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Mine is wonderful! She's the best I have ever had, and believe me ive been to a few classes in my time!!!

She's a similar age to me and she has a great personality. I've really got to know her over the months and I'd really miss her if stopped going!

The temporary consultant I have is like that, I will defo miss her when she goes, she's amazing, like a really good friend. I might go and visit her at one of her other groups she does, obviously not looking like a stalker lol.

Yep mine is great, she's funny, down to earth, friendly, informative and treats everyone pretty much the same, even those that don't stay, she'll chat to them whilst they're Qing to be weighed
She's very encouraging and full of ideas

Same here, my temp consultant is like this to.

My old consultant didn't even say hello to me at one point, he just carried on chatting to someone else whilst he took my money, so rude! Glad he's gone but he might be back as a group member, I hope not, he has a tendency to "take over". I might be looking for a new class soon, we shall see!

speccyblue said:
The temporary consultant I have is like that, I will defo miss her when she goes, she's amazing, like a really good friend. I might go and visit her at one of her other groups she does, obviously not looking like a stalker lol.

Haha careful, seriously, if she's local enough for you to make it worth your while , shed welcome you, the more in their classes the better for them(apart from the fact that she's nice and would be happy riser you each week )

My consultant is fab, really like her and find her classes really motivating. She has time for every member and whenever i've text her she's got back to me within half an hour. The only thing she doesn't do is give out body magic awards which I know some of the class would like. Can't fault her otherwise though.

I'm a shift worker and also a student so unfortunately I can't always make her class and have been to quite a few other groups the consultants there ranged from okay to downright awful. One particular thing that stood out was going to another group in the same are as my usual class. My mum had just passed away and my consultant kindly rang the one from the class I was visiting to let her know i'd be going and why.
The consultant herself was doing the weighing in and after I stepped of the scales and turned around to get my things, I heard her whisper to the people around her "her mum has just died" as if it was a piece of juicy gossip!
There was no need to tell then that and as I was in a bit of a fragile state anyway I really didn't feel like I could stay to that group.

The consultant herself was doing the weighing in and after I stepped of the scales and turned around to get my things, I heard her whisper to the people around her "her mum has just died" as if it was a piece of juicy gossip!
There was no need to tell then that and as I was in a bit of a fragile state anyway I really didn't feel like I could stay to that group.

How awful. That would've made me :mad: *hugs*

Last edited:
I liked my consultant until she gave the impression that putting on even the tiniest amount of weigh was a complete failure. I feel so under pressure to "perform" every week now, I can't bear that look she gives people when they've put on weight.

speccyblue said:
I liked my consultant until she gave the impression that putting on even the tiniest amount of weigh was a complete failure. I feel so under pressure to "perform" every week now, I can't bear that look she gives people when they've put on weight.

Oh that's awful!

I think the consultant has a huge effect on our motivation and weightloss. I have been to loads of groups and probably had 6 or 7 consultants. I have seriously lost more than a stone twice and both times the consultant has been a huge motivation to stay to group and that for me is the key to my weightloss.

The first time I lost 6 stone, a long time ago and the consultant was very motivational and bubbly and had fun groups.

The second time is is now and I love staying to group and we have a friendly group where everyone is an equal and thats fab.

i went to a group earlier this year and got the 12week countdown. the consultant seemed nice enuff. the second week she approached me, said she was a bit stuck that nite and could i help her out doing the door/taking money. so i was shown how to do it....then week after week i was expected to do it. tbh, the sw group i went to became more of a job than actually a weight loss program. knew i had to be there everyweek to help out so didn't focus on the actual weight loss part. i would have preferred she ask me - could i do this every week,rather than 'help me out 1 night'....then expected to do this all the time. plus whenever i took a week off, i was made to feel guilty because she then told me she'd panic to get someone to cover me. after 3 months i'd stuggled to lose 7pounds so i ended up leaving. the group itself at times was quite motivational but it literally was get weighed,then hear everyone's weight loss/gain then any questions then leave.

recently i was diagnosed with PCOS, the advice from my gp was 'lose weight' so i thought i'd rejoin SW again, but i went to a different group (local newspaper had an article about them) and decided to join. the Consultant i have now seems a lot more bubly and genuinely seems to care about the members and how they're doing. plus she takes in food diaries and has a look at them every week (which i think's helpful) so yeah, a lot happier with the new group and the new Consultant:)

I have had a few clashes with mine, She nearly made me leave when I had not long started, as I usually gain around star week... When I explained this, she raised her voice, saying She was sick of us girls using star week as an excuse... I lost all that I gained and more the week after, which showed her... Since then she is wary around me and sometimes ignores me totally... I continue going for the other girls who are brilliant at keeping me going... As long as she weighs me, and I get some info, I don't need her help as I have you lot on here, and my other fellow weighers... xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

jellyfish81 said:
i went to a group earlier this year and got the 12week countdown. the consultant seemed nice enuff. the second week she approached me, said she was a bit stuck that nite and could i help her out doing the door/taking money. so i was shown how to do it....then week after week i was expected to do it. tbh, the sw group i went to became more of a job than actually a weight loss program. knew i had to be there everyweek to help out so didn't focus on the actual weight loss part. i would have preferred she ask me - could i do this every week,rather than 'help me out 1 night'....then expected to do this all the time. plus whenever i took a week off, i was made to feel guilty because she then told me she'd panic to get someone to cover me. after 3 months i'd stuggled to lose 7pounds so i ended up leaving. the group itself at times was quite motivational but it literally was get weighed,then hear everyone's weight loss/gain then any questions then leave.

recently i was diagnosed with PCOS, the advice from my gp was 'lose weight' so i thought i'd rejoin SW again, but i went to a different group (local newspaper had an article about them) and decided to join. the Consultant i have now seems a lot more bubly and genuinely seems to care about the members and how they're doing. plus she takes in food diaries and has a look at them every week (which i think's helpful) so yeah, a lot happier with the new group and the new Consultant:)

At my temporary group she has a 'situations vacant' board with jobs like weighing, shop, payments, I think that's brill especially if you go on your own as you sit with another member who shows you how to do it, you then get to know people too! I wish I could carry on at that group but it's just too far ( it's near the church where I'm doing my course). Mind she is a regional supervisor or whatever it's called. Never stayed to IT but I can tell it'll be good as the effort she puts into setting up is phenomenal! There's success story boards, motivation phrases, recipe cards, old mags are left on seats. My usual group is one table with a load of stuff on it! I never know if were allowed to look or not!

I have had a few clashes with mine, She nearly made me leave when I had not long started, as I usually gain around star week... When I explained this, she raised her voice, saying She was sick of us girls using star week as an excuse... I lost all that I gained and more the week after, which showed her... Since then she is wary around me and sometimes ignores me totally... I continue going for the other girls who are brilliant at keeping me going... As long as she weighs me, and I get some info, I don't need her help as I have you lot on here, and my other fellow weighers... xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

She sounds like a right cow! That's the whole point of even having the term 'star week' so us ladies can talk about our reason for gaining. They'd hardly coin the term just so we could say "I'm on my star week but I know that doesn't affect weight loss anyway". Grr some consultants are just rude!

X

Back