For Those Who Took a Festive Break

Maka

A New Woman
Between 22-27 Dec, I gained 9lbs.

This morning, I'd lost all 9lbs. Official WI is tomorrow, so maybe I'll shed a pound or two overnight. I am incredibly relieved!

I hope this encourages all those of us that took a break over the festive period. You'll probably lose everything you've gained(and maybe even more) within the first week.

Isn't this diet fantastic!!!!

Yeah, in the first week when your body comes out of ketosis your glycogen stores refill and they contain something like 3 parts water to 1 part glycogen so you put about half a stone or so on almost straightaway. I had a break for a holiday 6 weeks into the diet last year and put on 6.2lbs, but lost all of that and more in 5 days when I restarted. Hence I'm not stressing about what I've put on over Xmas. It is what it is, and I hope it will have given my metabolism a bit of a boost. With any luck I'll have lost it all and a bit more in 2 weeks. I will have had 2 weeks off so that's only fair ;).

For the newbies just starting, you should get a pretty big loss in the first week as you lose water as you go into ketosis. It's a real boost to see the scales come down significantly in the first week but don't be fooled into thinking that you've had a good kick start to your diet and can do the rest on a non ketogenic diet because the same thing will apply in reverse. The minute you go back to eating carbs and come out of ketosis the resulting water gain will put that weight back on just as quickly. But when you are in ketosis every pound you lose after that first week will be a pound of fat. It takes a calorie deficit of about 3000 to lose a pound of fat, and this diet will give you (roughly) a 10000 calorie deficit per week which should equate to a 3.5lb loss per week, or thereabouts. Don't be worried if you don't lose that every week though. Our bodies are not machines and some weeks will be better than others. Don't compare your weight loss to other people either as we are all different, and this is your journey, not theirs. One thing is for sure though. If you stick to this diet you will lose the weight you desire. Is any food worth losing sight of that goal?

I guess I have to work hard this month. I gained a lot. Well, I haven't checked yet. Lol. :p The first week is gonna be tough. :cry:

Started this am.... Yummy strawberry shake. Cooking sausages for the kids now.....not even a bit tempted! Why oh why can't I just ditch carbs full stop?..

Good luck with your first week (back) everyone starting this week.

Thanks so much......feeling so positive about this!!!!

Yes even though we know its mostly water it gives you a great boost at the beginning

bear in mind when choosing an end target weight

I would like to be 9st 7 so im aiming for 9st , as i know once i start eating carbs again ill have that big gain

knowledge is power !!

Yeah, in the first week when your body comes out of ketosis your glycogen stores refill and they contain something like 3 parts water to 1 part glycogen so you put about half a stone or so on almost straightaway. I had a break for a holiday 6 weeks into the diet last year and put on 6.2lbs, but lost all of that and more in 5 days when I restarted. Hence I'm not stressing about what I've put on over Xmas. It is what it is, and I hope it will have given my metabolism a bit of a boost. With any luck I'll have lost it all and a bit more in 2 weeks. I will have had 2 weeks off so that's only fair ;).

For the newbies just starting, you should get a pretty big loss in the first week as you lose water as you go into ketosis. It's a real boost to see the scales come down significantly in the first week but don't be fooled into thinking that you've had a good kick start to your diet and can do the rest on a non ketogenic diet because the same thing will apply in reverse. The minute you go back to eating carbs and come out of ketosis the resulting water gain will put that weight back on just as quickly. But when you are in ketosis every pound you lose after that first week will be a pound of fat. It takes a calorie deficit of about 3000 to lose a pound of fat, and this diet will give you (roughly) a 10000 calorie deficit per week which should equate to a 3.5lb loss per week, or thereabouts. Don't be worried if you don't lose that every week though. Our bodies are not machines and some weeks will be better than others. Don't compare your weight loss to other people either as we are all different, and this is your journey, not theirs. One thing is for sure though. If you stick to this diet you will lose the weight you desire. Is any food worth losing sight of that goal?

OMG thats what happened i ate all of last week and gained like 7ibs withint 4-5days and i was so depressed then after that when i started to restarted i lost about 5-6ibs and i thought my scales were broken and now that explains it

OMG thats what happened i ate all of last week and gained like 7ibs withint 4-5days and i was so depressed then after that when i started to restarted i lost about 5-6ibs and i thought my scales were broken and now that explains it

Yeah, you pretty much need to be half a stone under your target weight when you come out of ketosis for maintenance I think.

Im sure this is why the doom mongers tell you that these diets dont work becasue as soon as you come off them you gain weight even quicker

well yes you do initially but it isnt fat and it would be pretty difficult actually to even eat enough calories to gain 5 or 6 lbs of fat in a week

i guess they see that initial weight and becasue they dont understand what is happening to their bodies they think "whats the point" and give up

that, by the way, would have been me , until I realised what was happening

well yes you do initially but it isnt fat and it would be pretty difficult actually to even eat enough calories to gain 5 or 6 lbs of fat in a week

Oh I dunno, I reckon I could give that challenge a run for its money ;)

that, by the way, would have been me , until I realised what was happening

Me too! I've put on 8.2lbs so far (2 full days off plan to go) but I hope that half a stone of that is water gain and I have only about 1lb of real weight to lose. I've gained 1lb in the last 4 days whereas in the previous 7 I was going up pretty quickly and consistently.

I also think that the refeeding plan is important as you want to start refeeding still losing weight, and then add more food until you're out of ketosis and maintaining weight and not losing or gaining. Too many people get to goal and then ditch the refeeding bit too quickly and start to gain because they have not gone about it sensibly. My Xmas break refers!!

I think one of the problems people have with VLCD and TFR diets is that they have no plan what-so-ever of how they are actually going to keep the weight off. It's all well and good for us to lose the weight but if we then go right back to our old way of eating the second we come off it we're just going to end up back where we started.

For me I was quite wary of starting a VLCD so it was really important for me to have that maintenance plan in place beforehand even though it's a long way away.

I had a good plan when I did a VLCD before and I kept most of it off for 2 years but then it all went t**ts up when I did a job that entailed lots of travel (and eating out etc.). I 'think' I just need to do what I was doing when I was maintaining before as that did work for me.

The doom and gloomers always ditch these diets as you say as %%%s of people put the weight back on....myself included but thats the same for WW and any of other diets...this time I have decided that I need to stay on low GI....

It was a loose variation of low GI that I was following before and worked for me but actually I think that portion control is a lot of it too. Over Xmas I've been using our 'normal' plates and you can pile so much food onto them they actually become quite heavy to lift! I've got a post diet plate sorted and will use that to restrict what I can pile onto the plate when I'm maintaining.

I've decided when I finish I'm going to get rid of my plates and get either some large side plates or kids plates to eat off.

Mine's a large side plate. Probably about the size of a dinner plate in the 1950s!

You look at the size of some dinner plates now (and I admit I have some) and it's no wonder we have an obesity epidemic.

Was watching an episode of Supersize vs Superskinny on 4od before and one guy thought having 4 large plates of food at a meal was normal and couldn't understand why he was so heavy. Especially, with his mid morning snack of a large fish, chips and burger!

one guy thought having 4 large plates of food at a meal was normal and couldn't understand why he was so heavy. Especially, with his mid morning snack of a large fish, chips and burger!

Hmm, well I don't think he can be normal then because I suspect that everyone on this forum knows that the types and quantity of food we have consumed for our activity level pre diet is directly responsible for our current weight. There might be a few other things to add into the mix but largely that's the bottom line. The proof of the pudding of course is in the eating (or not eating ;)) as everyone following this diet will lose weight to an extreme, absolutely confirming that it's overindulging in the wrong things that causes weight gain. That's absolutely the reason why I'm where I am!

Back