Free Food/Syn Free Food

Syn free foods are foods like - pasta in sauce, mugshots, savoury rice, supernoodles. They do not have a syn value but are not a free food.

If they have no syn value but are not on the free foods list, then they are classed as syn free but not free.

Clear as mud????

I started a thread about the same thing a while ago...basically if it's not listed on the free foods list in ur book then it's syn free food and should be seen as more of a treat eg you should try and choose fat free natural yoghurts over mullerlights and plain pasta over mugshots

Jacqui_Blanco said:
Hi - I'm totally new to this group/site/Slimming World. CanI ask, I thought low fat cottage cheese/low fat yogurt was free? I've just been and picked up some cottage cheese for lunch and a yogurt - checked on the syns database on the slimming world app and it tells me that it has a syn value. I thought they were free - COMPLETELY CONFUSED!! Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks.

Jacqui x

Fat free natural yogurt & unflavoured fat free cottage cheese are both free, but not low fat versions.

Free food is EVERYTHING free listed in your book for example; meat, pasta, potatoes etc etc

Syn free food is things such as; Pasta and sauce, noodles, muller lights.

You will get a better weight loss eating FREE FOODS than you will eating SYN FREE FOODS.
for example, you will lose more weight by eating low fat natural yogurt than muller lights.

hope this makes sense

thanks for posting this.. it clears up a lot of confusion and actually makes a lot of sense!! nice one :)

I eat Batchelor's savoury rice/pasta n sauce etc about three times a week. I don't try to avoid those foods, because I enjoy them and they are syn free. I always add extra veg anyway, like peas or sweetcorn. However, I would always have them as a meal, and not as a snack. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating these types of products and if the nutritionists at SW had deemed them to be too high cal to be eaten freely, then they would have been given a syn value.

My consultant also says that things like pasta and sauce quiche, curry loaf etc eaten as a snack should be given a red day syn value!

this is rather a confusing topic isnt it? :)
I understand what is being said but surely if something is free its free I dont think am doing this very well lol

ickleLB said:
this is rather a confusing topic isnt it? :)
I understand what is being said but surely if something is free its free I dont think am doing this very well lol

I wouldn't worry about it.... If your losing weight with what your doing then its obviously working. I had a think about this when I first started and came to the conclusion that once again I was over thinking the diet. Free is free so fill your boots if you want to.

thats what I was thinking lol although its not working as fast as id like but hey ho :p
Just wish I liked salad as lunches and 1/3 superfree be so much easier i must be eating too much fruit!!!

I think the key here is that you should eat everything in moderation, fruit and veg etc is very good for you so fill your boots. Processed food is not so good and I think should be discouraged. I did the whole pasta and sauce and packaged stuff bit but I don't think that encourages healthy eating and the additives probably should be eaten in moderation. I've started making everything myself now and to be honest feel alot less grotty than I did eating the packaged syn free stuff!

This thread is a little confusing to me.
I think what you mean is free food and super free food.
To me free food should be eaten in moderation (mostly things like stuff from a tin, packet, frozen, prepacked processed foods etc)

Super free food is all the fresh stuff like fruit, vegetables and salad and I think this can be eaten much more freely than free food hence the name super free food :)

Super free foods are also much lower in calories and will help you stay fuller for longer. xxxx

To me free food should be eaten in moderation (mostly things like stuff from a tin, packet, frozen, prepacked processed foods etc)

Super free food is all the fresh stuff like fruit, vegetables and salad and I think this can be eaten much more freely than free food hence the name super free food :)

Super free foods are also much lower in calories and will help you stay fuller for longer. xxxx

I think the original thread-from 3 years ago was talking about the difference between something being a free food ie potatoes, meat, poultry- and something that is 0syns like say a pasta n sauce pack. There used to be huge confusion between them-as free foods are just that-free, but something that is syn free isn't the same-does that make sense? xx

Its actually about syn free (pasta n sauce or Mullerlight) vs Free (Plain pasta or Natural Fat Free Yogurt) Its distinction I have never understood. If I look at the syn value of a food on the site is says Free, it doesn't say zero syns. I'm not going to complicate my life anymore than I have to and worry about whether I can eat a mugshot if I'm starving!!!

I dont understand why something from 3 YEARS AGO is being bumped up again lol!
Quite frankly i dont care if something is free or syn free, i'll eat it regardless but im not one of these who will eat mountains of something just because its FREE lol!!! ;)

I dont understand why something from 3 YEARS AGO is being bumped up again lol!
Quite frankly i dont care if something is free or syn free, i'll eat it regardless but im not one of these who will eat mountains of something just because its FREE lol!!! ;)

I imagine that someone asked a question, was to use the search facility & found that thread!!

I agree with you though - if has no syns & I'm hungry I'll eat it but I don't eat mountains of anything ( except carrots :) )

That different! They are tweaks. If you just add water to a pasta n sauce it's fine. It's when you start making them into other things that you get in a pickle :)

Its actually about syn free (pasta n sauce or Mullerlight) vs Free (Plain pasta or Natural Fat Free Yogurt) Its distinction I have never understood. If I look at the syn value of a food on the site is says Free, it doesn't say zero syns. I'm not going to complicate my life anymore than I have to and worry about whether I can eat a mugshot if I'm starving!!!

That different! They are tweaks. If you just add water to a pasta n sauce it's fine. It's when you start making them into other things that you get in a pickle :)

Ahhh all this confusing stuff again lol I was going to reply but kingledsdid it for me in all the above posts :) now tonight my mind boggles over healthy extras. Not for me, but for my mam who thinks that cheese is a b choice on extra easy. HELP! Lol

Back