FREE Tinned soup!!!!

debjk

Ok I bought a ww Mexican spicy bean soup didnt check its value just thought I would try it anyhow checked syns online and its not listed so I put the details in the calculator with Beans as a free food and it came back as Free on Green EE

What do you reckon ?? shall we say free until SW lists it on syns online and adds a syn value it was 5.5 syns on Red
Nutritional info if anyone else wants to check

per 100g
Cals 36
protein 1.2
carbs 6.8
Fat 0.5
can size 295g

hmm i may be wrong but im sure in 'processed' things like that you dont have a free food allowance????

it is very low cal though! would be good if it was!

hmm i may be wrong but im sure in 'processed' things like that you dont have a free food allowance????

it is very low cal though! would be good if it was!

Hmmmmm mugshots, pasta and sauce, low fat noodles, chickpea dahl, tesco tinned stewed steak, tesco ravioli, possibly more........... so if its ok for them to have free food allowance why not a soup and this has far less calorific value than chickpea dahl... Lol I just wanna have it as a free food ha ha

It's not free I'm afraid

Even things like the chicken noodle, which are very low calories have syns in them.

What makes you say it's not free, did you put the info in the syns calc?

To be doubly sure I'd email SW.

No, because its its not a "free" food, using the rules of on a green day its mostly "beans" etc, so putting it in as "no free food allowance" and assuming its a 300g tin it works out as

5½ Syns per package/portion on Extra Easy
5½ Syns per package/portion on Green
5½ Syns per package/portion on Original

Or in simpler terms 1.5 per 100g.

SW wont reply by email as per the Lifeline online website

"We regret we are unable to answer Syn enquiries
by e-mail, post or fax."

The chicken noodle soup from Weightwatchers which you would think would be free on Extra Easy given its chicken, noodles and is low fat, is actually 2.5 syns on all plans, which is what makes me think the mexican soup isnt free either.

Similarly if I feed in the nutritional info for the chicken noodle soup I can bet if I fed it in as a red day using chicken as free food, or Noodles as free on green I would get a different result to the syns online, because I've given it a free food allowance it might not necessarily have iyswim?

I have the latest food directory, I can't find it in there but there is a section called "smart syns" and at the front of the book it says the "smart syns" section contains products which contain enough free food to be given a free food allowance, and lots of the products in this section are processed.
I find it very confusing using the syns calc with some products, as I never know whether to give a free food allowance or not.
I bet if you put in the asda chick pea dahl with no free food allowance it would say it had syns..
Sorry if thats not much help but just though I'd mention it as the directory suggests some processed foods do have a free food allowance if there is enough free food in them.

This is one of the things that confuses me about SW is how they work out syn values.

For instance has anyone tried the tesco skeak in gravy its ok but when I open the tin 1st there is a layer of fat on the top which I scoop out then throughout the meat there are lumps of fat and Jelly hardly extra lean meat is it ? But still Free :rolleyes: on red and EE and no where does it say only free if you pick out the lumps of fat.

Why have the option to add free food at all on the syn calc because I would say 99% of foods you want to use the calc on is processed because it asks for details off the packet, on unprocessed food you wouldnt have or need those details :rolleyes::rolleyes: and for recipes you make at home again you wouldnt have all the details needed

Exactly, its wierd isn't it. Surely even tinned toms are classed as processed and they are free. And I bet a lot of free things like batchelors savory rice and muller lights would come up as syns if you put the info in the calc!??
I suppose you could try the syns hotline but, I think its expensive.

The calculator isn't as accurate as the professional SW bods, that's why it doens't always supposrt the answers that have been worked out BY SW.

I would also enter beans as free food allowance. You would only really need to use the calcuator for 'processed' foods, otherwise it'd be listed under 'basic foods', so I'm really not sure where that theory has arisen.

I have the latest food directory, I can't find it in there but there is a section called "smart syns" and at the front of the book it says the "smart syns" section contains products which contain enough free food to be given a free food allowance, and lots of the products in this section are processed.
I find it very confusing using the syns calc with some products, as I never know whether to give a free food allowance or not.
I bet if you put in the asda chick pea dahl with no free food allowance it would say it had syns..
Sorry if thats not much help but just though I'd mention it as the directory suggests some processed foods do have a free food allowance if there is enough free food in them.

Slight change of subject, but, it says the "smart syns" section contains products which contain enough free food to be given a free food allowance

I really think this is an mistake in the food directory. If its smart syns, its not a free food.

its easy to make your own soup using free veg and canned beans from the free food list , that way you are not in doubt ,
ive just made a leek and potato soup , that i also used a bit of chopped celery , brocoli , spring onion , added a slice of lemon , which i took out before blitzing ,
its delish !!!
and not a syn in sight !!

If you look in the syn calculator help section (click on the question mark) it will give you a list of foods that you cannot use a free food allowance on. I can't remember if soups feature on the list or not but I know that jars of pasta sauce do even though the main ingredient is tomatoes. So probably best just to double check whether you can free food the beans.

On the syn calculator help it says:
If your product falls into one of the following groups it will not be given a Free Food allowance:
Alcoholic drinks
Biscuits, including cereal bars and savoury crackers
Bread & crispbreads
Breakfast cereals
Cakes & bakery items, e.g. carrot cake
Crisps & snacks
Dressings & dips, e.g. salsa, salad dressing
Fruit - canned, dried and stewed
Pastry products (sweet & savoury), e.g. salmon en croute, apple pie
Pizza
Puddings & desserts
Sandwich/deli fillers
Sandwiches and wraps
Sauces, e.g. jars of tomato-based pasta sauce
Soft drinks, including yogurt drinks fruit/vegetable juice and fruit smoothies
Soups, all varieties
Sweets & chocolates
Please select ‘No Free Food’ on the Syns Calculator.

So i guess it's not syn free! :(

Wow, thanks to both of the above posts, cos I've NEVER noticed that! Doesn't leave much that you can apply the free food value to then, really. And if you can, it's probably listed under basic foods.

Back