Freezing Excess Raw Veg on Cruise

Zebs07

Dance the positive spin..
I did post this within another thread but then thought it may be wiser to be a new thread.. apologies if you've already trawled throught it!
-----
Ok im back with the Doh Bird questions lol...

I totally messed up on my pre-cruise stock up shop and there is no way im gonna get thru it all before its gone off! I am now wondering whether i should try tonight making my courgette tagliatelli ribbon thingummyjigs, portioning up and freezing till needed!!! However never having bought courgette much before in my puff, ive no idea if that would work!!! (if a yes, presumably i cud just micro from frozen - yes/no??)

Any advices muchly appreciated...

As a PS - dont even ask what else i bought lol. Major batch soup making n freezing will be happening 2moro lol...

PPs. Ooh actually - along the same lines, Does anyone know if it wud work to make a ton of butternut mash and freeze into portions

Gosh i hope the above are options cos being disabled i cant get to shops often and will euther be relying on very boring pv days or experiencing huuuge wastage-expense!!! ;-0

Can u tell im most definitely not a batch cook and freeze domestic goddess - i hav'nae got a scooby! Lol

All your ideas should be fine.
Just make sure the packages are separate enough not to stick together in the freezer and the containers close tightly.

Then you'll be sorted for pv additions for a while :)

It's generally easier to freeze cooked or partly-cooked veg, as raw veg can be pretty much "scorched" by the process.

So portioning and freezing butternet squash would work, but the courgette noodles might need to be flash cooked (just steamed for a very, very short time) first, then cooked direct from frozen to stop them turning to mush (which might happen anyway)

Agree with Atropos, my Mum always insisted it was necessary to "blanch" veg before freezing - either a quick steam or par-boil for 3-4min then cool and put in freezer bags/tubs. Veg with lots of water (courgette/marrow) can mush a bit when defrosted but still tastes the same. I've got loads of frozen portions of chicken and vegetable soup that I made up when I overbought celery and cabbage, they are so easy for PV lunches. I actually find an evening of chopping and blanching veg for the freezer rather relaxing!

Oh, forgot to say, I freeze courgette in 1/2inch slices and find these don't mush.

Thanks all for your advices! Muchly appreciated!

But for today - DISASTER!!!

On this occasion, i ended up giving up on the freezing idea (apart from butternut squash mash) - with the rest i decided to do two soups!

The first - butternut squash, tomato, mushroom, onion - was kinda ok'ish - at a very very very big push!

The second was leek and courgette - MINGING!

Disaster really - i ended up bunging both kinds together which is now marginally more palatable but probably has way too much stock in it (albeit reduced salt) to be proper Dukan! Ocht well...

Goodness knows what happened though - i have never ever made a bad pot of soup before in ny life! Honestly truthfully - i am a bit of a soup queen normally. Maybe pride and fall are the words that come to mind! Lol

Ocht well - lesson learned - Dont overstock veg pmsl

Back