From here to inskinnity! My mission to lose 13.5 stone!

in it together

Fantastic first week!
I started sw the day before you, so far iv lost 6 1/2lb in my 1st week.
I'm loving the extra easy plan, and as I'm in this for the long hall there was no point starting a diet I couldn't stick to for the rest of my life.
I would like to lose at least 13 stone, and its nice to know someone is in the same boat as me!

Fantastic first week!
I started sw the day before you, so far iv lost 6 1/2lb in my 1st week.
I'm loving the extra easy plan, and as I'm in this for the long hall there was no point starting a diet I couldn't stick to for the rest of my life.
I would like to lose at least 13 stone, and its nice to know someone is in the same boat as me!

Well done on your fab loss this week and for getting into the 22's! I can't wait to see the back of 23 stone in a few weeks hopefully, determined that never ever again will I see that horrible number! It's great to know there's someone else in the same boat as me with lots to lose. Like you say it's got to be a plan that we can maintain for the rest of our lives, and so far I don't feel deprived or like I'm even on a diet.

Brilliant start, well done :D

Well apart from doing well on the scales today, the rest of my day has been pretty poo, in the none food sense anyway!

I got to work and was feeling terrible, vomited and was sent home, now I just feel completely shattered. Two years ago I suffered from glandular fever and as a result I still get tired more quickly than most people, well, I say tired, but sometimes it's like complete exhaustion. When I'm exhausted I feel sick, have hot and cold flushes and feel dizzy until I get some rest. It really is horrible. Anyway, it's improved a lot over the last year. I remember last summer I was signed off work for a 8 weeks and hardly did anything except sleep. It was horrible. But anyway, over time I improved and was able to do more and more. Now I hardly ever notice the tiredness except when I've had several hard days in a row, and most of the time it's manageable by just having an early night or a bit longer in bed. It never really affected me badly in the last 6 months at all until today...

Of course it's all down to the fact that I started my new job at the care home last week. I've never done a job where I'm on my feet all day, for the last 6 months I've been working as a freelance writer, it's great as I can work my own hours, but as we'd like to have kids one day I want a secure job on decent money, so I've decided to retrain as a radiographer. Before I can get on the course next year I need to have some care experience, so here I am, on minimum wage wiping bums! Ah well, it's a very rewarding job in it's own right, but for me it's more of a means to an end.

Anyway I knew working in care would be tiring, after all i'm not used to being on my feet for 7 hours straight. It's not something I want to do full time since I have my writing job as well (and it pays more!), so I initially signed up for 4 shifts a week and then decided to drop it even further to 3 a week. Of course, sods law it's worked out I've had my first 6 shifts back to back - one day I even finished at 10 and started the next day at 8, which I'm pretty sure is actually illegal! Anyway I didn't complain and just got on with it, but today I was really feeling completely shattered, dragged myself in, only to be sick and forced to go home. I feel pretty bad about it, I've only been there a week! Had a look at the rota going forward and the next couple of weeks look fine with the shifts well spaced out, so I shouldn't get too tired and will have time for a rest between shifts.

Starting SW gave me the motivation to go swimming and walking as well as starting my new job, and I think I've just done too much too soon. I've got tomorrow off and I'm just going to rest, maybe have a walk round the park in the afternoon, but basically just try and relax, catch up on my Phillipa Gregory book and chill out! Then I'm only in for Thur 8-3 before having 4 days off for my birthday weekend, and I really can't wait for that. So I should be ok and this horrible exhaustion should go away soon, but it's left me feeling quite upset. I thought for a while that I was "better" and wouldn't have the tiredness again, and to go through it again now just makes me feel terrible. I was crying earlier but as usual my lovely boyfriend put it all in perspective and made me realise I've just been overdoing things and I'm nowhere near as bad as I was last year. I think losing weight is bound to help anyway, by the time I go to uni next September I'll be lighter, fitter and healthier than I've been in my entire life. All I need to do is just keep plodding along, and that's exactly what I'm going to do... :)

----
Food diary for today

2 x weetabix, banana, s/s milk
quorn spag bol with mushrooms and onions - 3syns for sauce
'nu me' chicken hotpot ready meal - chicken, swede, potato, peas
100% juice ice lolly - 3 1/2 syns
nectarine
after 8 yoghurt - 3 syns
rapsberries and grapes with 1/2 mullerlight yoghurt

total syns - 9 1/2

Aw, I'm sorry you've not had a good day (well, apart from the fabby result on the scales anyway!). It's so easy to jump in with both feet with the healthy eating and exercise but all of that in addition to starting your new job may just have been a little too much for you all at once. Enjoy your rest day tomorrow and hopefully you'll feel back 'on it' soon x

Thanks Bev, rest day has been good so far! Feel like I've got a cold coming on, as I usually do when I get run down, but hopefully I'll be OK for my birthday on Friday.

Speaking of my birthday, it turns out Chris ordered me a HUGE cake! It was well before I had any intention of joining SW, so it was really sweet of him, and it looks really pretty too! Now normally when I'm on a "diet" I do it to the extreme and don't let myself have any treats, which is clearly (for me at least) not maintainable in the long run! That's why I joined Slimming World, I wanted a plan that I can maintain for the rest of my life, and with my syns allowance it means I can have a little of the sweet things I enjoy too.

When it comes to birthdays and Christmas etc I usually just let myself eat as much as I like. But I don't want to do that this year. For one, I'm sure I'd massively binge on crap, and secondly, once I've fallen off the "wagon" so to speak, I find it hard to get back on! So this year I'm doing things a little differently.

On my birthday itself we're going out to beefeater for tea, but for the rest of the day I'm going to stick to plan as normal. For my evening meal I'm going to choose a healthyish starter and main that follows the SW principles e.g I was thinking of having the 8 oz sirloin with salad for main and the chicken and vegetable skewers for starter. And for dessert, well, I'm going to let myself have what I like! Obviously when I say what I like I mean ONE portion of something, I'm not going to go totally crazy and binge! (p.s I just looked at the nutritional section of the Beefeater website and while everything is pretty bad you can swap chips for a jacket which is a bit more SW friendly. Also, the best option for desert seems to be the lemon sundae, which actually sounds really nice. It's still 373 calories, but a huge improvement on the rocky road sundae at 750 cals so will probably opt for that - despite what I said about having anything I like! :rolleyes:)

As for birthday cake I won't actually be having any on my actual birthday! There's no way I'm having desert out and then MORE cake, and YES I really would have done this before SW! :eek: Instead I'm letting myself have 3 slices of birthday cake, over 3 days (today, thursday and saturday) and although I don't know the exact points value I'm counting each slice as 10 points ensuring my food for the rest of the day is super healthy! Plus it gives me Sunday and Monday to burn the cake off before WI!!

I might not have a huge loss on the scales this week, but I'll be able to really enjoy my birthday knowing I've not gone off the rails, and if I'm sticking to plan the rest of the week I should still hopefully achieve a 2lb loss which I'll be more than happy with!

Soon as I feel a bit better I'll be able to get cracking with some body magic too, not going to go overboard this week as I think going from doing nothing to 2 swims, 3 walks and 4 x 7hr shifts on my feet was a bit too extreme for my first week! Instead I'll aim for a short walk tomorrow, swim on Saturday and walk on Monday, which will mean I'm still on track for week 2 of my bronze body magic award.

----
Food for week 2, day 2

Brunch - Slimming world cooked brekkie - lean bacon, mushrooms, tomato's, 2 x eggs, baked beans - yum yum!
Slice of birthday cake - 10 syns (although I actually left most of the icing, was just way too sickly!)
2 x mini babybel cheese - HEX A
ceasar salad with low fat dressing (not that low fat, actually 5 syns! :/)
raspberries, grapes and 1/2 a mullerlight yoghurt with 2 weetabix (HEXB)

So I guess I'll have maxed out my 15 syns for the day, the first time I've done that incidentally, but as I've stuck on plan even while feeling like poo I'm pretty pleased with myself! Normally when I'm ill i eat some right rubbish, so keeping on plan is a definite boost and shows how determined I am to do this.

Okay, scrap that! I clearly haven't got the hang of this eating bad things in moderation lark yet. Boyfriend has the week off work so is meeting an old friend down at the pub for the night. Leaving me in the house alone (well, okay with two kittens) and one very tempting birthday cake. First I thought "I'll even up the edges" of the slice I'd cut, so i nibbled them, then I cut a bit more... ugh! I couldn't have had more than half a piece more, but then i just felt terrible and went for the babybel! I only ate one before I stopped myself and thought WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!

So now I'm going to go for a bit of a drive with some music on and the windows down to clear my head. I clearly can't do moderation yet, I'd rather not have any cake at all rather than do that to myself! Maybe in the months to come ill be able to have bad food in the house, but I'm just not ready yet, on week 2, to face temptations like that in my cupboard! I know I'll be alright if i don't have any, because I'll be on plan, but as soon as I have the kind of foods I used to have I can't handle it and want to binge...

You don't get over 23 stone without having issues with food. I just wish my birthday was in a few months time or something when I felt more prepared to handle it. I just feel like cancelling my birthday meal completely, but I know that's silly as I'm really looking forward to it, for none food reasons too. It's just at the moment I want to stay on plan and lose weight more than I want anything else in the whole world. I can't believe a stupid cake nearly made me jeopardise everything! I'm so angry with myself, but at the same time I'm pleased I recognised what I was doing and stopped before it was too late!

It's amazing how things can be going so well and then something as silly as a cake can mess it all up! Well, no more cake for me, that's decided, and i'm taking the 8 extra syns I used out of tomorrow's allowance so I don't feel so bad. But yea, feel terrible at the minute. Determined to have a really strong day tomorrow!

I can totally sympathise with where you are and I'd bet most people on here can too. Crisps were my downfall before SW and I couldn't have them in the house for the first few months. Then I got used to not having them and didn't bother buying them anyway. It's only now, 9 months on, that I actually buy them and feel happy that I'll only have one (packet that is, not crisp!!)

Try not to beat yourself up too much, if you want to remove the syns from tomorrow's allowance then that won't do any harm, it'll still leave you with enough. Please try not to worry about your birthday too much either, they only come round once a year, you should enjoy it and move on with the plan.

The main thing is that, as you said, you recognised what you were doing and stopped... you definitely had your SW head on there!

Hope the drive helps clear your head and make you feel a bit better about things x

Well we had guests last night, I bought a cake and light spray cream. I worked out an 8th was 10 syns and the cream 1 syn. I ate free food all day and defrosted some berries so that I could bulk out the pudding. It was a really lovely desert and only 14 syns all day.
But ... I had annother sliver before bed... And another while making breakfast. Thats 10 more syns!
Just wish I had self control.

I'm exactly the same when it comes to self control.

As long as something is in the cupboard or fridge, its a temptation for me.
Why don't you share the cake out amongst friends and family to lessen the temptation for you?

But keep it up, you can do this!

I usually don't keep anything in, and I thought the cake would all go last night, but ironically they thought that not eating much was being supportive lol.
Guess I could gave convinced them to have a bigger slice, but I hate when people do that to me.
Iv put it behind all the salad in the fridge now so I have to dig it out first... It'll be gone 10 seconds after my husband gets in from work.
After my baby has had lunch ill go out or else I'll have to spend the next 5 hours listening to it calling to me; "come on, you've had some already today, one more bite won't hurt... Mwa ha har"

Years and years ago about 15 I was 20 stone I started sw and did fab went from size 22-24 down to 8-10. When I got to 12-14 my mum and sister were convinced I was anorexic even tho they saw me eating jacket potatoe and beans every saturday with them.

Anyway my mum would bring over massive cakes and alsorts of yummy things for me and kids on a sunday. I would dish it out to children and husband and husbands friend if he was there.

Then rest I threw in the bin. With washing up liquid on it as it would call my name. I got into the habit so well after time I didnt need the washing up liquid on it as the taste of weight loss was way better than any cake or treat.

Its hard but try and be stubborn its worth it in the end.

Good idea. If I go out for a meal, once I'm full I press a paper napkin into my plate, i'll have 2 start doing something like that at home too... Although prevention is better cure- next time no pudding for anyone unless its something I can have a decent portion.

Will definitely be trying the paper napkin idea tomorrow night at my meal, thanks for that one getfit!

I've stopped being hard on myself today, it was a slip and only ended up costing me about 8 syns (which i've taken off today's allowance) so I should still be on track. Thanks for all your support though, it's nice to know its not just me going through the same thing. Sometimes it feels like everyone on here is doing so well with their weight loss that it's just me who has slip ups, which I know is daft as we're all here for the same reason, but knowing i'm not alone in feeling like this about self control makes me feel a bit better.

Anyway, doing really well so far today:

Brunch - Baked beans on toast (HEXB)
Tea - Beef stir fry with lots of veggies (broccoli, carrot, beansprouts, mushrooms, onion) - plum sauce - 3syns
Dessert - raspberries, grapes, mullerlight yoghurt
2 x mini babybel (HEXA)

Paper napkin idea is great!!
My problem is I have zero awareness of when I'm full!!

How are you getting on Hun?

Back