From Mis-shaped to....?

MissHapp

Here I am, finally starting a diary on the JUDDD forum.

Background - lost weight few times (haven't we all?) but most successfully 4 years ago when I calorie counted and took up running. Fell off the wagon when I got pregnant with my 2nd, although I didn't regain all the weight - too much though! Have managed to keep running after the birth of my 2nd albeit it at reduced distances and speeds, but not managed to shed the weight.

Decided in June that the time had come to start resolving the weight issue - I wanted to run better, feel better, ward off diabetes (mum T2) and give myself a kick start. Never done a vlcd before - and never will again - but decided to do S&S for 8 weeks only. I lost 24lbs and have been running much better. All good.

Question then raised - how to continue the weight loss journey? Didn't want to do classes for time issues - would rather be out running! Didn't want to calorie count - hungry and thinking about food ALL the time! Didn't want to low carb - quite fancy a piece of cake every now and again! Finally came across IF and did a lot of reading on the web and decided to give it a go.

I switched from S&S and - I think - lost around 0.75 - 1lb in my first week. I say, I think, because I was really trying not to weigh around switch over time as I didn't want to be paranoid about what the scales were saying on a daily basis. I decided I was going to give it some time and see how I felt and what the scales said later! I was pretty chuffed at that point though when most people leaving a vlcd gain! Happy Days.

Carried on into week 2 and then the Horizon programme was on - it was great to see the research and my husband decided to join me on 2 fasting days a week as well. Week 2, I lost 1lb and I'm now in my third week. I have 3 DDs like most on here and the website calculates my cals at 500/2600 - I think because my exercise levels are quite high. I'm now back up to 5-6 miles running and feeling really great.

Current weight: 14 st 10.5 lbs. Don't really have a long term goal - but first goal is to get to an overweight BMI, rather than obese - reckon that's about 2 stone away.

Enjoyed reading everyone's diaries and hope people will enjoy reading mine!

hello and welcome! I'm another newbie to it and today was first day of DD.

Welcome Hun x

Your story sounds a bit like mine :)

I'm looking to get into running in a few weeks- will torture you for advice then!

16 lost : 51 to goal

Hi and welcome, well done on your loss so far, look forward to following your Juddd journey x

Hello and welcome, I wish you all the success early days for me as well so will definitely read you. xx

Thanks everyone :)

DD today: 2 rice cakes, 2 laughing cow cheese triangles, cucumber, stir fry - cabbage, mushrooms, prawns, asparagus, broccoli, strawberries and very light fromage frais. Total 439 cals. No milk today.

My best way of coping with DDs is to hold off having anything for as long as possible. I don't exercise hard on DDs and I don't 'eat back' exercise cals as recommended by MFP as from what I can see on the JUDDD website, the cals are given in lie with how much exercise you do.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Well done on yr DD , food sounds nice :)

I'm starting my first Dd on Wednesday - excited xx

Weighed myself this morning. Not good - even after a DD. Been away from scales since Friday am when I weighed in a day early as we were going away for the weekend. I was extra pleased with that WI as it only accounted for 2 DDs and not 3 and was after an UD.

So, despite being somewhat taken aback by today's scale readings, rationally, I know it's fine though. Here's my explanation: Friday 500 cals, Saturday 2000 cals, Sunday 3000 cals (ouch - cider!), Monday 440 cals. Total is: 5940 cals. Divide that over 4 days gives 1485 cals per day. That is on track for weight loss and certainly not weight gain!

Also, interestingly, I noticed last week that I seemed to weigh more after a DD, then drop after an UD. So, a normal UD for me today, plus a long run, I think.

Hope everyone has a good day.

So, today so far has consisted of:

Breakfast: shredded wheat and semi skimmed milk 213 cals
Mid-morning: skinny cappuccino and key lime cheesecake - guesstimate at 500 cals?
Lunch: Dr Karg crisp breads 188, cucumber 10, houmous 95, aldi crisps 135, Irish Yog 68, Haribos 200
Running 10k: -1000

Total food so far: 1435cals. So, am going to aim for 600 for the rest of the day to bring me under 2000, although my UDs max is around 2600, so I do have a bit to play with. Just a teensy bit panicky after that shock on the scales this morning!

Right, so I officially buck the trend and weigh less after an UD! What is that all about? Is it that my body is happy with the influx of cals on an UD and so 'lets go'; is it down to the exercise; is it because eating *ahem* 'gets things moving'...? I just don't know! Anyway, this morning, weighed in at 14 st 11.5 - that's 1lb heavier than last Friday's WI. Not sure whether to switch my WI back to Sat or stick to Friday - don't suppose it makes much difference really!

Yesterday, came in around 1800 cals of food with 1000 cals of exercise. Feel a bit better that have made up for that 3000 UD on Sunday!

So, today's DD. very unusually, woke up feeling a bit hungry. Never experienced that while I was doing vlcd ad so far not experienced that on a DD whilst doing IF...felt very strange. I wasn't too sure what to do but in the end, I decided to go out and do some exercise - nothing too hard or strenuous, just a short cycle of about 20 mins. It nipped the hunger in the bud straight away. Result. Hubby made me a coffee with some milk and I'm planning for that to keep me going for a while longer yet.

My parents are coming for a few days today - cue having to explain about IF - it took quite a lot of explaining to get over the vlcd hurdle, so hopefully, this will be not too painful to explain! I am not moving my DDs around at the moment as I really want to establish a good routine.

Still have a few S&S packs to use, so may have those today as hubby isn't doing a DD with me today - he's having a go at 5:2 at the moment - he is a healthy weight but was intrigued by the potential health benefits and would like to lose a few pounds to run faster!

Have a good day everyone!

Today's DD then...

S&S shake at lunch - 135 cals
coffee with milk - 25 cals
glass pink lemonade - 16 cals
homemade onion, pepper, split red lentil, tomato soup - 209 cals
SF jelly - 8 cals

Total 392 cals.

Wondering whether to have a grapefruit or not...

Ready for my UD tomorrow!

OK guys, help me out here...this morning's weight - after a DD - is 14 st 13.25lbs! I *know* it cannot be real weight. Yesterday, after an UD, I was 14st 11.5. I just do not get what is going on here.

I'm not giving up though, even if I gain or STS this week. I know it has got to work. Just wondering what's happening with TOTM - had a terrible time with that whilst on SnS and have totally lost track.

Well, sticking with an UD today - we're off out for the day in celebration of my youngest's birthday tomorrow.

Ho hum.

Yeah the scales are bonkers on this diet but that's the magic:D it just shows how we much we trick our body so it does burn our lardy backsides rather than making them bigger, pretend you haven't seen it or even better stay away from the scales till your official WI. do not worry trust me xx

It looks as this this week I'm on for a gain and I have no idea why. :cry: After an UD yesterday, I weigh 14 st 12.5lbs. That's down a lb from yesterday and up 2lbs from last week. I'm not hopeful that a DD will rectify, as I seem to be the strangest person in the world who weighs more after DDs than UDs.

Im not giving up though and will battle on - hopefully, the longer term will see results.

NSVs - went on rides at a theme park yesterday with no worries about "will I fit on this?" Also, walked around in a denim skirt with no thigh chafage!

Keep the faith Miss Happ and stay strong: sounds like you've got some non-scale victories to celebrate, even if the darned scales don't play ball ...

P x

Last edited:
Oh your non scales victory sound much better to me that what the scales say, have faith let's see what next weigh in brings xx

Had a further NSV today... decided to have a short run today - don't normally run on DDs - and tried to see if I could really push myself for a short period of time. Really pleased to say that I managed to 11 min/mile for 2 miles. Now for many runners, that is very, very slow, but for me, at over 14st I'm pretty happy with that! The last time I ran that speed, I was over 2 stone lighter.

Today's food:

Held out til about 11am and had S&S shake - thought it was important to take on protein after my run 134 cals
3pm had 2 rice cakes, 2 laughing cows, cucumber, lettuce 129 cals
6pm homemade soup and sugar free jelly 217 cals

Total 480 cals

Hunger very manageable today. WI tomorrow morning and am resigned to a gain or STS. Refuse to be deterred though - I've been thinking a lot today about how losing weight, as determined by the scales, is far from precise or predictable. Our bodies have all kinds of things going on which we don't always understand. I am convinced that by doing this pattern of eating, I am restricting my calories sufficiently to lose weight but also, and perhaps even more importantly, I am taking care of my mental health, developing a positive relationship with food, modelling good eating habits to my children, eating enough to enable exercise, eating in a way which is sustainable in the long term, creating health benefits such as those seen on the horizon programme... Need I add more? I *will* not be swayed when the scales don't appear to be playing ball over what is in reality an incredibly short time frame - 7 days... I mean, who actually invented the idea of a weekly weigh in anyway? Could it perhaps have been companies after our money, says the cynical me?

Off to catch up on other diaries now.

Been away today, so only just had time to update... weekly weigh in: 14st 10.5 lbs. That's a STS for me, so 2lbs over 3 weeks.

Have decided to weigh daily when at home, record each day, record the high and low of each week, then calculate a weekly average. I'm hoping that this will give a more accurate picture over time and alleviate stresses around weekly WIs.

Hello Miss and well done on your running record. I am tempted by the average weigh loss as well. I might start doing that, In fact I would love it if I could only weigh in once a month :eek: but that won't happen I dont think. I can't even manage a week at the minute :(
have a great sunday xx

Back