Frozen Tetra is like Ben & Jerrys

DollyBeth

A few people have recommended freezing a tetra pack to me, but it was only this week that I actually tried it.

Wow! The Chocolate Velvet is like Ben & Jerry's Phish Food Frozen Yoghurt (not the ice-cream, lets not get carried away. There won't be any caramel sauce or little chocolate fishes...). But it is delicious and has been great for me for helping me feel like I'm having a treat instead of a ridiculously tiny meal. I have even had frozen Chocolate Velvet for breakfast! Now I am going to try freezing the banana and strawberry flavours too.

If you haven't tried it yet, here's some advice. I've tried it a few different ways, and I think it is best to freeze the tetra about 6 hours before you know you will be eating it. Get a bread knife (be careful with this!) and cut a thin layer off the top of the carton. You may need to cut one side of the carton off as well. Then your delicious frozen shake will sit in a bowl in a perfect square but be slushy enough to be spooned up.

If you freeze for a shorter time - say 3 or 4 hours, it will only partially freeze, but this is still really nice. You will have runny milkshake with some slush in the middle, like a McDonalds milkshake.

I've tried freezing overnight and this is okay...but not the best taste or texture. It would be handy to just keep some in the freezer, but a.) it's harder to open. You have to leave it out of the freezer for 15-20 mins before you can get a knife into it, and b.) the taste is slightly spoiled as the milkshake will have very slightly separated whilst frozen, leaving some bites (darker in colour) very tasty and some bites (lighter in colour) tasting a bit metallic and chemical. It will also be a very hard frozen texture, which can be nice to dig into. But soft serve is nicer!

Try it and enjoy your 'dessert'

Back