Frugal February

late night bargains at the co-op just got 4 salmon fillets, 4 pork chops and a cucumber 45p for the lot! and at aldi i got 2x bags of apples, 8 kiwi fruit, a turnip, cherry toms, oranages for 4.14 :D BARGAIN going to mame some chicken soup, got my soup mix soaking overnight and i will chuck in any veg i have going with chicken and stock cubes, also may make a pan of chilli ready to freeze so i have ready meals xx

I have a voucher for Tesco which gives me £5 off if I spend £40. Forgot to take it with me this morning (only went in for tinned tomatoes which I forgot the other day!) but they have tons of offers on things I use, mainly toiletries and household stuff, so might take it in during the week and stock up on shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, moisturiser, fabric conditioner, etc.

I know I was trying to cut back on my spending for February, but if I can stock up on the things I use, while they are on offer AND getting £5 off as well, result! It means March I should be able to cut back on spending even further!

This week's Menu :)

Sunday
Breakfast - 2 weetabix and 2 apples
Lunch - Butternuut squash soup
Tea - Roast Chicken with roast carrots, beetroot, swede and new potatos, with green beans, broccoli and gravy :)

Monday
Breakfast - 2 weetabix and 1 apple and 1 orange
Lunch - Butternut squash soup, muller light Yog
Tea - Chicken and veg risotto with sauted cabbage and onion

Tuesday
Breakfast - 2 poached eggs on WW wholemeal toast, 1 apple and one orrange
Lunch - Butternut squash soup, muller light yog
Tea - Chicken and sweetcorn noodle soup

Wednesday
Breakfast - 2 weetabix 1 apple and 1 orange
Lunch - Butternut squash soup, muller light yog
Tea - 3 bean and beef chili (slow cooked) with rice

Thursday
Breakfast - 2 poached eggs on ww toast with raspberries and blob of ff yog
Lunch - Leftover Chili and Rice, muller light yog, cherry toms
Tea - Pasta with tomato, pepper and bacon sauce

Friday
Breakfast - 2 weetabix with 1 apple and 1 orange
Lunch - leftover pasta with tomato, pepper and bacon sauce, muller light, carrot sticks
Tea - SW chips with pork loin chops, veg and gravy

Saturday
Breakfast - Bacon roll with lettuce and tomato
Lunch - Split pea and gammon joint soup (homemade pea and ham lol) Chopped fruit salad
Tea - Thai red prawn curry with sticky rice balls

I am definitely in with this!!

2 adults and 1 little one (she's 5) so I'm aiming for £100 for the month. That'd be a HUGEEE improvement on the norm - easily £60 a week! And I have no idea how!

Planning to start making meal plans and freezing things so we have meals readily prepared, etc.

There are 6, sometimes 7 of us (depending if daughters boyfriend stays).
That is 3 or 4 adults,a 12yr old,6 yr old and a 4 yr old ,oh and a dog!!!!!
And I try not to spend more than £90 a week, even cheaper if I can manage it !
I only cook from scratch,so I don't have lots of reserve food in the freezer as I buy what I need to cook.
But in my shed in the garden I have stockpiles of stuff that I like to keep stocked up,and if I see good deals I tend to buy a few at a time.
At the moment in tesco they are selling washing detergent and fabric softener called ENRITUALS and they are only £1 a bottle or box,and it's not bad stuff either,so every time I do an online shop I get a couple more.
I would love to be able to get money off tokens but I can never seem to find them online. :)

kate said:
I need all the help I can with this I spend waaaaaay to much, im not a very organised person at all, but need to watch the pennys, theres 4 of us my weekly shop is normally anything between £80 - £120 then another possible 20 -30 in & out off shops during the week, this includes all household stuff nappies n the like, all advive welcome, yestaurday I tried going 2 diff stores for cheaper items, fruit stall 4 fresh fruit n vegs, poundshop for toothpaste & kids sweets/crispsn lunchbox goodies, then iceland for some frozen goods pizza nuggets etc 4 oh & kids then asda for some meats nappies etc spent the same but picked up alot I didnt need but think this was 2 do with browsing & being in & out of diff shops & not just getting wot I needed, HELP ME sort this out. Sorry to babble on x

Online shopping is good if you have a list of what you want ready so that you just put in your basket what you need and it shows how much you are spending with a running total,and plus there's no having to drag the kids shopping!! :)

Me neither. Have you seen that American programme - Extreme Couponing? If you've not, check it out. I wish we could get away with stuff like that over here!!

SingerJess said:
Me neither. Have you seen that American programme - Extreme Couponing? If you've not, check it out. I wish we could get away with stuff like that over here!!

I LOVE that programme,going shopping like that would be right up my street lol !!!!!

I LOVE that programme,going shopping like that would be right up my street lol !!!!!

And mine!

Imagine walking into Tesco with nothing but vouchers and a few quid, and walking out with enough food/clothes/etc for an army...and them PAYING YOU for the priveledge! If only.....

Yeh if I do my shopping online I save about £15 a week - including the delivery cost... Mainly because I don't have a 5 year old pestering and I can check recipes at the same time to see what we actually need, and I don't have my OH asking why he can't have 5 bags of haribo tangfastics...Just cos they're 50p doesn't mean we NEED 5 bags!! MEN!

Do you plan your weekly menu and write a shopping list for just what you need? That is the thing that will make the biggest difference to how much you spend when shopping.

Thanks to the OP for this.

I checked my bank and realised we'd spent £200 in January on food shopping. I also wanted to treat myself to some gorgeous wine glasses I'd seen on sale for £15 for 8 but decided to wait as we're a bit broke.

Suggested to hubby today that if I can save us more than £15 this month then I can buy the wine glasses and he agreed. I've spent the afternoon planning meals and writing lists for the next 4 weeks and worked out pricing online and shopping will only cost £127! Even with the wine glasses I've saved us £58. Think I'll do this kind of thing every month! :D

Thanks to the OP for this.

I checked my bank and realised we'd spent £200 in January on food shopping. I also wanted to treat myself to some gorgeous wine glasses I'd seen on sale for £15 for 8 but decided to wait as we're a bit broke.

Suggested to hubby today that if I can save us more than £15 this month then I can buy the wine glasses and he agreed. I've spent the afternoon planning meals and writing lists for the next 4 weeks and worked out pricing online and shopping will only cost £127! Even with the wine glasses I've saved us £58. Think I'll do this kind of thing every month! :D

Good skills Helzzz :) x

I used to order online but I haven't in ages despite it being cheaper because I hate that you never know the quality/dates of what they're going to send you. I got tired of being sent bread that only had a day left, and that was supposed to last me all week - and veg of questionable quality too. I only have a tiny freezer at the moment so I can't even freeze stuff until I need to use it :( Really, really need to get my hands on a cheap chest freezer.

I used to order online but I haven't in ages despite it being cheaper because I hate that you never know the quality/dates of what they're going to send you. I got tired of being sent bread that only had a day left, and that was supposed to last me all week - and veg of questionable quality too. I only have a tiny freezer at the moment so I can't even freeze stuff until I need to use it :( Really, really need to get my hands on a cheap chest freezer.

domestic chest freezer in Wigan, Lancashire | Other Collectibles & Crafts for Sale | Gumtree.com

Back