Frugal February

I make my own mugshots, with superfree soup and cous cous or mini pasta shells or fine noodles, delicious and soooo filling!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Aldi super 6 are 39p this week! It includes 4 baking potatoes, carrots, White onions & I think swede & cabbage but I cant remember as I only popped in for milk & bananas (it's nearer to me than my local shop!). X

Gillian576 said:
Oh I'd love to join in too. There are 7 of us though! I'll work out our budget and come back soon.

There's 6 of us too and the dog

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

oh my days im crap at this stretching thing :(

i have a chicken we've used the breasts and 2 legs
theres a fair bit of meat left on the bones but uusually i thow it away

and im ashamed to say i wouldnt have a clue what to do with the remains :eek:

any ideas guys

If you have a cat or a strip every bit of meat off it. Put into two pots, soup meat and pet meat. If you don't have a pet then strip off what you can use for soups. With the rest put it all including bones into a pot with water, onion, carrot celery , herbs and boil/simmer for a couple of hours. Strain off and you have chicken stock!

Karen.hat said:
oh my days im crap at this stretching thing :(

i have a chicken we've used the breasts and 2 legs
theres a fair bit of meat left on the bones but uusually i thow it away

and im ashamed to say i wouldnt have a clue what to do with the remains :eek:

any ideas guys

Put anything in an omelette,or pasta,or lasagne,sandwich,jacket potato filling. I could never throw meat out,may as well eat it? X

Applekath said:
If you have a cat or a strip every bit of meat off it. Put into two pots, soup meat and pet meat. If you don't have a pet then strip off what you can use for soups. With the rest put it all including bones into a pot with water, onion, carrot celery , herbs and boil/simmer for a couple of hours. Strain off and you have chicken stock!

Thank you

Never thought of that, I'm so lazy I usually use chicken oxo's

Bunnylush said:
Put anything in an omelette,or pasta,or lasagne,sandwich,jacket potato filling. I could never throw meat out,may as well eat it? X

I now have stock to make.... Erm risotto tomorrow (or at least I will have) and chicken for a chicken pasta

Wasnt keen on picking the chicken like.., not too keen on the greasy feeling but hey that'll feed up for an extra day :)

I agree! There was a programme on telly a while back about economising and one of the women featured would cook a whole chicken and then just use the breasts! The rest would get thrown out - might as well just chuck a fiver in the bin because that's what you are doing. You should be able to get four or five meals from a whole chicken.

PatchworkPuss said:
I agree! There was a programme on telly a while back about economising and one of the women featured would cook a whole chicken and then just use the breasts! The rest would get thrown out - might as well just chuck a fiver in the bin because that's what you are doing. You should be able to get four or five meals from a whole chicken.

4 or 5???

I used to use breasts and kids eat legs but rest would go in the bin and I was proud I got 2 meals from it this time.
I would love to know how to get mire cos I'd def give it a go, I guess in the past I've just wasted money cos I've been lazy but on paper we should have loads of money to save in reality we are eternally Skint

I know what our problem is I just don't know how to change it!
We spend roughly £30-£40 every supermarket visit and can go up to 5 times a week
If we do a huge shop instead everyone in house grazes so they eat the stuff that's supposed to be to make meals and short if telling them not to eat I don't know how to change it

4-5 meals for one person maybe.
2x breast
2 x 1 leg +1 wing
1 x "mini fillet" from under the breast.
Plus a pickings salad or sandwich and then a risotto from the stock.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

ColJack said:
4-5 meals for one person maybe.
2x breast
2 x 1 leg +1 wing
1 x "mini fillet" from under the breast.
Plus a pickings salad or sandwich and then a risotto from the stock.

Ah I wondered
There's 6 in our house!! So getting 2 filling meals from the one chicken was ok,
We had planned on doing a big shop yesterday and having a batch cook day today but we've had a really bad weekend in our house so will have to wait while things calm down

Of course it depends on how big the chicken is in the first place.
1 large breast can do a chicken curry for one for 2 days maybe and so on.
The turkey at Christmas used to feed 8 for 1 day then the 4 of us for nearly a week of cold meat sandwiches and so on.

Of course it depends on how big the chicken is in the first place.

we only ever buy smallish chickens cos we know how much we waste but i have found that a whole chicken is more cost effective than say a bag of frozen chicken breast

I bought a special pack from the butchers yesterday

2lbs smoked back bacon
2lbs skinless chicken breasts
2lbs braising steak ( he had run out so he gave me rump instead :D)
2lbs Pork steaks
2lbs chipolatas
2lbs best mince

All for £20, I have always used his chipolatas and mince as zero fat comes out of either. The only thing I dont normally use is pork steaks.I have done a menu plan and I cant think of anything to do with the pork. I'm an ok cook and have all the gagets.

Going to do stifado sw style with the rump.
Stir fry and then stuffed chicken breasts with the chicken.
Going to syn a yorkshire batter and do toad in the hole with the sausages.The leftovers for a breakfast.
Bacon will be used twice for a sw friendly carbonara and then a breakfast.The mince will go twice used once for chilli and another time for lasange.In all the £20 of meat shout make at least 9 meals for 5 of us so thats pretty good I thought.

Any recipe ideas anyone for the pork i'm a bit stuck?

Back