Frying with olive oil - expensive but ok?

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by PennyJane, 3 June 2009 Social URL.

1. PennyJane

PennyJane Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(9.74%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    I don't normally fry but did today and think I shouldn't have. I had tinned pilchards and fried courgettes, think I've made a mistake, right?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Miss Macaw

Miss Macaw Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st13lb
    Current Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.69%)
    Diet:
    Low carb maintenance
    Olive oil is good. But it's better to fry with rapeseed oil because it has a very very high burning point. It's also super low in saturates and apparently has other miraculous properties, I forget exactly what! Olive oil burns quite easily which isn't nice or healthy. Best to keep it for salad dressings etc.

Jim likes this.
  4. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Spot on, I use Extra Virgin for salads etc but use the cheap OO for frying. I would use rapeseed but it doesn't agree with me for some reason or other.

5. Miss Macaw

Miss Macaw Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st13lb
    Current Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.69%)
    Diet:
    Low carb maintenance
    I'd heard of the 'rapeseed oil is poison' theory but thought it was an urban myth, much like the similar rumour circulating about soya products.

Canola Oil Warning Hoax

Canola Oil: Poisonous Poseur or Positive Health Partner?

Recipes for Rapeseed Oil, presented by MealSavers.co.uk and Hillfarm Oils. | MealSavers.co.uk

I thought the antioxidant properties of the omega-3 and -6 and vitamin E content of rapeseed oil were positively beneficial.

Any rise in temperature through cooking changes the nature of the organic compounds in food, not always for the better - eg it's proven that eating a lot of burnt meat (barbecued) can increase the risk of getting cancer, as do advanced glycation end products. Yes, there's a risk there, but not as bad as smoking 20 a day.

Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - Meat

But ultimately I believe we have to take calculated risks in life, or we'd end up have a thoroughly boring, and tasteless, time.

Don't worry, be happy!

6. Aurora

Aurora Full Member

Hi MM,

The Soya issue is a real one. Everything I have read about it cautions its use.

Have a look at www.soyonlineservice.co.nz or just Google it and read what you can.

Personally, I avoid it.

7. British_Claire_84

British_Claire_84 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    Clear as mud to me!

Still haven't really got a clue which is better/worse etc..

8. British_Claire_84

British_Claire_84 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    Low Carb
    Laura, hear hear! Completely and whole heartedly agree with you!

I love the way you put things sometimes, you have such a way with words.. made me smile!

9. Miss Macaw

Miss Macaw Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st13lb
    Current Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(15.69%)
    Diet:
    Low carb maintenance
    Well said Laura.

That anti-soya website (nice pic of parrots btw) is in my opinion an example one of the many conspiracy theories out there - a food version of the Da Vinci Code. There are so many of them because anyone can publish anything they like on the internet, at any time - the amount of information out there is almost infinite, but it doesn't mean it's true.

The Japanese have been eating soya for centuries and were the healthiest people on the planet till they got Western fast food.

As for me I'm happy to continue eating edamame followed by tofu stir-fired in rapeseed oil, or perhaps a juicy chargrilled steak - definitely with a large glass of wine.

10. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Yes, well put Laura.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.