Gained 7.5lb after 1 week off

Karenn

I'm a bit disappointed, I have been away on holiday and have just returned and weighed myself and gained 7.5lb. I know I wasn't very good all time time I was away. I came off exante and tried to make good low calorie and carb choices but had a few very bad choices.

I've been on the diet for 8 weeks and was 100% for the first 6 weeks and loss around 3lb a week. The last couple I had one low calorie meal 200 calories and 20g of carbs a day with 2 shakes and only lost 1lb a week. I stilled stayed on ketosis I think. I added the one meal a day thinking that it would stop me gaining too much weight with my week break.

I'm back on the exante again 3 shakes a day and nothing else but water lol. But a little worried at gaining so much weight. as I'm on holiday again in 5 weeks and would like to come off the diet whilst I'm away.

I still have 2 stone to loose to get to my ideal weight. I'm 5 foot and now weigh 10 and half stone and love to be eight and a half stone. It sound low but for my height it's normal.
Sorry for waffling on but don't want to be yo yo all the time.
Cheers guys xxx

You have to enjoy yourself when on holiday! I'm going to Kavos with friends and not gonna go crazy but going to enjoy myself. You've just got to think you've already lost some weight so will get that off in no problem! I'm only 5" tall too, and have around 2 1/2 stone left to loose...it annoys me when I tell people that's how much I still want to loose, they all think I'm crazy !! haha. x x

hi I think its important to remember that weight which goes on very quickly (on holiday for example) comes off very quickly. If you go back on TS you will rapidly lose what you have gained. If this wasn't the case we would all have to be on three packs for life! Often when we come off a VLCD there is a rapid gain but its not permanent. By your next holiday you can lose that and more. Best wishes
GSQ

Perhaps you should do TS for 3-4 weeks and then the final week before your hols introduce food slowly and make it mostly protein and very low carb foods ie chicken and salad and maybe try to carry this through on hols too - could be difficult as hols are places to have lots of food and drink, but it might minimise the damage a bit. The main thing is to have fun on holiday and not worry about gaining weight, especially as you know that it can be lost pretty quickly afterwards anyways (not the most ideal answer though).

Are you sure that such an extreme diet is best when you're only 2 stone above your target weight? I don't mean to sound like a over-zealous health freak here, but I did the exact same thing as you when I wasn't even that much overweight. I had 600 calories a day (the same as 3 shakes a day), and for the first 3 months I was hungry but with a bit of will power, I managed . But then I started fainting, getting low blood pressure and feeling horrible 24/7 after 4 months, even though I'm a very happy/healthy person. You can make of this what you want, but I just want to look out for others so the same thing doesn't happen to others :)

Thanks for the advise but can I say to happyhealthy I feel that exante is the best diet that I have ever been on. Once in ketosis i never feel hungry and faint , the opposite really I feel full of energy. The only draw back is wanting food but I don't need the food if that makes sense. I have been on every diet out there for the last 20 years and my weight has gradually increased. On others diets you lose 2lb and put on a pound and the weight never seems to make a big change.

I have introduced friends to this diet and they all have seen big results fast.

I'm committed to staying on this diet, I'm sure after reading replies that the weight I have gain will be off in no time. I will reach my goal.

What's hard about this diet is people who don't now about the diet and how it works keep telling me that's it's bad for you and dangerous. I try not to tell to many people at work and socially if I can help it as it does get me down sometimes. I wouldn't do anything that would cause me any harm the opposite. In the end when I reach my goal I will be HAPPY AND HEALTHY. xxx

Thanks for the advise but can I say to happyhealthy I feel that exante is the best diet that I have ever been on. Once in ketosis i never feel hungry and faint , the opposite really I feel full of energy. The only draw back is wanting food but I don't need the food if that makes sense. I have been on every diet out there for the last 20 years and my weight has gradually increased. On others diets you lose 2lb and put on a pound and the weight never seems to make a big change.

I have introduced friends to this diet and they all have seen big results fast.

I'm committed to staying on this diet, I'm sure after reading replies that the weight I have gain will be off in no time. I will reach my goal.

What's hard about this diet is people who don't now about the diet and how it works keep telling me that's it's bad for you and dangerous. I try not to tell to many people at work and socially if I can help it as it does get me down sometimes. I wouldn't do anything that would cause me any harm the opposite. In the end when I reach my goal I will be HAPPY AND HEALTHY. xxx

I totally respect what you're saying. I really didn't mean to be one of those people who tell you how bad the diet is without knowing anything about it. I just stuck to a VLCD for months and in the end, I became very ill. Obviously this diet didn't work for me - but I suppose what I was trying to say above was check that your doctor before starting a VLCD or else you could of ended up like me, because they work wonders for some (like yourself!) but less well on others.
Best of luck on your weight loss, you seem like a very nice person xx

I came off for a week last week and gained 8 pounds which I then lost this week. I look at it that I've set myself back two weeks but then again we need to have a life as well.

Quick gains do come off quickly xx

What's hard about this diet is people who don't now about the diet and how it works keep telling me that's it's bad for you and dangerous. I try not to tell to many people at work and socially if I can help it as it does get me down sometimes.

I understand exactly what you mean when you say this, some of my "friends" have said oh no don't do the diet as it's dangerous and could be life threatening. Which got me down a lot, but I just think to myself that they're all jealous as they know you're doing so well. I see it as, it's more dangerous to be carrying the weight than loose it quickly. But different diets work for different people. I've tried loads of different diets and this is the best I've found :) xxx

When you jump straight off it and start eating carbs, the weight gain will mostly be your body replenishing it's glycogen stores - basically the opposite of your week one weight loss. I think it takes something like 3 grams of water to store 1 gram of glycogen, so 3/4 of that weight gain is likely to be the water used to store the glycogen, and you'll likely lose it straight off when you jump straight back on ts. Good luck getting back on the plan, I think that's the hardest bit when you've had a break and been eating. Hope all goes well.

Sorry guys if I was ranting a bit, just feeling a little deflated and feel I had to defend myself on this diet. I didn't mean to come across so harsh.

Thinking about it realistic, between 5 to 10 pound of what we lose is water and we will put it back on when we end the diet sounds right. So I've not really gained too much weight just water.

Just need to set my goal a bit lower than I originally did to allow for water gain. Thanks guys

Karenn said:
Sorry guys if I was ranting a bit, just feeling a little deflated and feel I had to defend myself on this diet. I didn't mean to come across so harsh.

Thinking about it realistic, between 5 to 10 pound of what we lose is water and we will put it back on when we end the diet sounds right. So I've not really gained too much weight just water.

Just need to set my goal a bit lower than I originally did to allow for water gain. Thanks guys

Sounds very sensible Karen :) or at goal add in carbs slowly so as to still lose fat whilst your water weight increases :)
I know how you feel I ate last Friday and I'm still heavier than I was 9 days ago and that was for 1 evening not a week :)
You'll have that off in no time :)
Good luck!

Back