Gallbladder issues

LincsBren

Silver Member
Can you do CD with gallbladder issues? I am assuming so, because it's low fat... what have other people's experiences been?

I was hospitalised on Tuesday with suspected gallstones - been referred for ultrasound to confirm, and sent home in the meantime but it's 99% likely based on tests so far (incl. bloods - liver gone crazy, along with white blood cells!)

Apparently rapid weight loss can cause it (I've lost 3 stone in 3 months) but I think the trigger was actually going on holiday and eating a lot of rich, fatty foods for 2 days :break_diet: Believe me, I paid the price on Tuesday night!!

GP just said low fat diet to me, but I was so poorly I didn't quiz him over CD (although he knows I'm on it and hasn't made an disapproving noises!)

hey hun I can sympathise with you totally ... I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago .I never thought I would say anything was more painful than childbirth ... but OMG !!! My consultant told me that loosing a lot of weight can contribute to the stones and that CD is actually a great diet to do whilst you are waiting for surgery / treatment :) Obviously when you get to see a Dr you should speak to them about it , but the advise is a very low fat diet , which it obviously is !!! I did CD up till 2 weeks before my operation , then had to come off and I did SW for 2 weeks before and am doing 4 weeks after too to help healing , I am starting again monday :)
Hope you get it sorted soon :)

Thank you girls! I did chat to my GP who said low fat diet it what's needed, so CD is ok :D Hopefully I won't need my gallbladder out (scared myself silly reading up on the side-effects, but googling any medical issue is dangerous ;) ) but I'll know more after my scan. Determinator, how're you finding life so far without a gallbladder?!

i had my gallbladder out in June 2008, I think weightloss triggered it, and I was 16stone 13 when i had it taken out, I was on cd, I have since gone back up to 19stone 5 but now down to 18stone in the last five weeks, the outward scars heal quickly but I didnt feel right inside for ages and my poo changed, i found that fatty foods made me have very loose stools, but the only way to get rid of gallbladder problems is to have it out, best thing I ever did!

I agree , i am so glad I had it out .. I only had one REALLY bad attack ( horrendous pain for 3 hours , I could only just breath , and then projectile vomitting ..) and a few milder attacks but I would rather risk any nasty side effects that have another attack like that !!! I agree , my poo habits have changed a bit .. as bile is now continuously dripping into my digestive system rather than being released 'as needed ' but this is no problem :)

Hi

I was hospitalised at Easter with gallstones and possible pancreatitis and ended up staying in for a week. My scan shows some small stones still present; I saw the surgeon a month ago to discuss surgery and we decided to postpone any decisions until Feb 2010 to allow me to get my weight down and to see if I have anymore attacks ( I haven't yet). We both agreed that the risk of surgery at this time in light of no attacks is not worth it (I'm a nurse and am reluctant to go under anaesthetic if I don't have to) particularly as if I have another attack they'd likely do emergency surgery anyway. If I've had no symptoms by February I'll be discharged completely :D

Hi ladies, here are the current CD guideline for gallstones:

"if the client currently has gallstones no less than 1200 cals should be followed as surgery could be likely.
If they have had them in the past but not now, a VLCD should not be followed as they can still be prone to them so 810 or above - and they would need GP/consultant consent.

If they have had their gallbladder removed and its past the three month recovery period they can then use CD as SS or SS+."

Interesting... my GP knows I'm on SS+ and seemed happy for me to stay at that level! Although I guess those guidelines are for consultants who first have clients coming to them with potential problems. I am certainly not likely to have surgery in the next 3 weeks (if at all - I will aim to avoid it!), and will be on 810 after that point. Fingers crossed for an ultrasound soon!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

My GP's the same. I think it's because although they have theories about what triggers attacks they actually have no firm proof. There are questions even about whether a low fat diet is relevant about reducing the risk of attacks.

I am currently under investigation for Gallbladder problems and as soon as I found out that the excruciating pain I was/am enduring may be my Gallbladder I did a Google search to see what I could do re self-help. Cutting out fat has been a definite help. Eating little but often also helps as I've discovered that being hungry also sets it off.

I have to say I've been seriously tempted to try slimming drinks. The one thing I do have against liquid diets is going back to solid diets afterwards, Liqud diets are not a permanent solution and teach you nothing about eating properly after. Any comments/advice is appreciated.

I totally agree. Using the plan as a way to lose weight without addressing behavioural habits and beliefs about food is unlikely to lead to long term weight loss. CD uses a gradual reintroduction of food over a significant number of weeks to assist you in re-educating yourself about portion sizes etc;you will hear a lot of the "returners" here talk about how they didn't move up the maintainence plans properly when they first lost the weight. IMHO though that won't help maintain though unless you learn to "live slim" i.e. don't treat yourself with food, use it as feul not as source of solace/comfort, only eat when you are hungry etc. Sometimes you can do this alone, other times formal talking treatment is required.

PS: I continued to binge on icecream and pizza after my attack without so much as a mild ache.

I'm experiencing gallbladder pains right now! I've been up since 1am in total agony, luckily for me I am booked in for surgery in 2 weeks and am totally looking forward to it as this pain is horrendous.

The reason for my pain now is from my planned weekend off, we had a lovely weekend away with friends and went out for Sunday lunch, I think there was too much fat in it!

I had the emergency doctor out to visit me this morning as I was in so much pain and he gave me paracetamol and codeine and told me to take some every 4 hours until the pain has gone! I'm now laying on the sofa feeling really ill and am going to stick to a higher calorie/low fat cambridge plan now till my op as I can't cope with this again!

Stacey
x

I have been suffering with gallstones for months and my doc has told me to get back on cd asap.

I have to say even the memory of pain is keeping me on the straight and narrow! I've been on VLCD for 14 weeks now and had the odd high protein cheat nearly every week.... since I left A&E (early hours of Wednesday morning) I've been 100% SS! I have been having hormonal-triggered chocolate cravings today but no WAY am I risking that pain again.

Back