Gallbladder Trouble - need advice?

Seraphine

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I've been around, but I'm missed this place very much! I've been on a bit of a downturn lately - I had some poor health in 2012, and then spent most of this year dealing in not one but TWO house moves... in two weeks we're going on a short holiday and then I was planning on coming back on Low Carb with a vengeance! I was very much looking forward to it.

Trouble is, I think I'm having a gallbladder attack. It started yesterday, and while I'll see the doctor tomorrow, some of my online friends suggested that a low-fat diet is a good idea as fat bothers the GB.

So I'm really nervous! You guys all know what doctors are like - all low fat this and low fat that... Atkins will kill you yadda yadda yadda. I don't want to give up this WOE, but this is quite painful... anyone have any experience in this area? Anyone with gallbladder issues or perhaps have had a removal? HELP!!!

Hi, I have both gallbladder and acid reflux problems. And being frank I did have couple of really bad attacks in the beginning. But after some time I made some rules for myself which seem to work.
- reserve all the fat food for lunches and breakfasts, dinner more protein based like fish etc
- last snack 3 hours before going to bed
- be careful of how you do things I figured out that my favourite pose half sitting half curling to the right while watching TV or browsing was actually causing gallbladder pains.
But I usually have attacks close to the night or early mornings, so you might be different...

Not sure whether this will help! I had gallstones in 2010 and had my gallbladder removed 2011. A low fat diet around this time really helped and reduced my episodes of pain greatly. It was always when I'd over indulged that I got attacks.

Following the removal of my gallbladder I have returned to Atkins many times because I love the plan, the weight coming off and everything about it! Unfortunately I haven't been able to stick with it for more than 2 weeks. Although I no longer have a gall bladder I do suffer when I consume excess fat. I think it may be my bile duct. Whatever it is it gives me similar pain to what gallstones did, although not severe like that. I have found it less painful to follow a high protein diet rather than high fat.

I totally understand your frustration and disappointment. I still feel exactly the same! On the plus side it's a very simple operation with quick recovery.

Ps - try cutting out coffee too. Even decaff used to aggravate me

Good luck!

The doctor ran some tests, no conclusive diagnosis yet. I actually feel pretty good today, but when the attacks come they are really painful! I was given Buscopan, and I hope it works.

You've given me some hope that I'll be able to LC after I get back. Maybe watch the fat content if things flair up and go from there. It's al lot easier to think clearly about this now that it doesn't hurt so much. I don't drink coffee or tea, but do have a diet coke problem (although this weekend I didn't feel like anything fizzy anyway.) I'll watch the caffeine and see if that changes anything.

Am a bit relieved!

I've never experienced pain like it. I had a hard 24 hour labour with my daughter and I'd rather do that again than 5 mins gallstone pain! Mine were diagnosed via ultrasound so try and get a scan. I was eventually scared to eat an also scared to drive in case I got an attack. As I said LC is definitely still doable but I'd definitely knock the fat on the head!

Back