Gallstones??

lighterlifeclaire

Silver Member
Hi...

Happy new year to you all...

I just had a question... Lastnight I was awake for 5 hours with severe pain in my right hand side underneath my ribcage... We actually called an ambulance but the pain seemed to go and they said they were "busy" and it would take up to an hour for them to arrive, so I cancelled...

Anyway, yet again... tonight I am having the same pain... It doesn't happen until 11pm(ish) but tends to get worse through the night. I have called NHS Direct (I am not ringing an ambulance again) and they have said that it sounds like gallstones but I have to go to a NHS drop in centre tomorrow to get checked out. However, if it gets worse I am supposed 2 call 999...

Has anyone else had this?? How does it get fixed?? And if they say I do have them... how long in general is the waiting time for them to get fixed... I am in alot of pain... but am continuing with the packs... I'm determined nothing is going to stop me from stickin with LL... but could this stop me from doing it??

Ah... :cry:

Hi ...and a happy new year to you too!

I am really sorry to hear about the pain that you are in. Unfortunately I am not in the medical field and cannot advise you ...but if you are still in a lot of pain you must see a doctor.

I have been following some of your threads as I am due to start LL in January ...no I mean this MONTH ! You have been doing so well! You are a real inspiration!

If I were you I would see a doctor tomorrow - even at your local hospital - please let us know how you get on!

LizLL

Happy New Year Claire!

The pain does sound very like Gallstones, you poor thing:hug99: but you won't know for sure it is Gallstones until you get it checked out.

Gallstones Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment by eMedicineHealth.com

I did a search for some old threads on the subject, there are a few more if you click on the Search button on the blue bar at the top of the page and type in Gallstones you should be able to find them.

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/25956-gallstones.html

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/13099-gall-stones.html

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow and be sure to let us know how you get on.

Sometimes they can deal with them without having an operation, most of the people I know who have had the operation have had it done with key hole surgery and have made a very quick recovery.

Love Mini xxx

We were talking about this last time in Developers. Apparently it's linked to vlcds but also to overweight, so it may not be the vlcds but the weight that made us diet in the first place.

So sorry you're suffering Claire. I know it's really painful. Good luck with tomorrow.

Hiya,
I had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery last July. It was no big deal and I am so glad I got rid of the jolly thing. The attacks were very painful, right up there with childbirth imho. Please get it checked out, as you can develop complications if gallstones get stuck, for eg. Good luck!
SM

I have had gallstones and they were agony - worse than childbirth! In childbirth the contractions would at least stop for a few minutes before starting agin with the gallstones attacks they didn't subside at all!!
I developed them a few months after I had my first child (only to be repeated after I had had my second child!).
Apparently my gallbladder got so squashed up during pregnancy that it could not function properly and so gallstones developed.
The doctor came and gave me some incredibly strong painkillers and an injection which relaxed my muscles so th stone could pass.
I was taken to hospital and kept an eye on but no more pain and was allowed home after a day or so (plus I had a three month old baby waiting for me!!)
The second time the dr came out and gave me another injection and some more painkillers and I have (touch wood) had no more trouble.

If I eat too much fat I do get a few twinges and so then cut down - I don't touch cream anymore as that started the pains sometimes.

I have not had any attacks in 7 years (and I had another child - with no attacks faterwards).

Hopefully you will pass the stones and then there will be no more pain - it is horrific - I know!

Mel xxx

Hi All...

Just thought I'd give you an update...

I have just got in after leaving at 9am this morning!! *yep knackered!*

I went to the NHS drop in centre only to be told they couldn't do anything, but was advised to go to A&E... which happened to be quiet for new years day!

Anyway, the long and short... I was given unlimted Morphine (great stuff...) and had blood tests, urine and got poked and prodded just about everywhere!

My blood tests came back with an inflammation on my gall bladder but my urine was fine. They said it is highly likely I have got gallstones but none of them seemed interested when I told them about my VLCD. I have been sent home with V V V strong painkillers :D but they have advised that I should have my GB removed as they expect the same 'attacks' to keep happening.

I have been told that I will be sent a letter with an ultrasound scan date (apparently she has put it as priority so will be within 2 weeks - they wasn't open today, ridiculous) and then following that, I will be given a date to have my GB removed.

Until then, I must take the painkillers when necessary and if at any point they are not working I have been told to call 999 and get down there for emergency removal...

Oh the fun of VLCD's... or atleast, being fat.

.......... On a more positive note... despite being bloody starving while I was there... I drank only water and came home and had a shake... so abstinence is still *somehow* going well...

thanks for all ur replies xx

Hiya,
I had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery last July. It was no big deal and I am so glad I got rid of the jolly thing. The attacks were very painful, right up there with childbirth imho. Please get it checked out, as you can develop complications if gallstones get stuck, for eg. Good luck!
SM

i was the same Iwas so glad when i had mine removed :)

Hi All...

Just thought I'd give you an update...

I have just got in after leaving at 9am this morning!! *yep knackered!*

I went to the NHS drop in centre only to be told they couldn't do anything, but was advised to go to A&E... which happened to be quiet for new years day!

Anyway, the long and short... I was given unlimted Morphine (great stuff...) and had blood tests, urine and got poked and prodded just about everywhere!

My blood tests came back with an inflammation on my gall bladder but my urine was fine. They said it is highly likely I have got gallstones but none of them seemed interested when I told them about my VLCD. I have been sent home with V V V strong painkillers :D but they have advised that I should have my GB removed as they expect the same 'attacks' to keep happening.

I have been told that I will be sent a letter with an ultrasound scan date (apparently she has put it as priority so will be within 2 weeks - they wasn't open today, ridiculous) and then following that, I will be given a date to have my GB removed.

Until then, I must take the painkillers when necessary and if at any point they are not working I have been told to call 999 and get down there for emergency removal...

Oh the fun of VLCD's... or atleast, being fat.

.......... On a more positive note... despite being bloody starving while I was there... I drank only water and came home and had a shake... so abstinence is still *somehow* going well...

thanks for all ur replies xx

Glad to hear you've found out what it is and fingers crossed you don't have to wait to long for your op :)

Morphine is heaven isn't it :D Not too good if you go straight back to working after having it though :rolleyes:

Glad to hear they gave you some strong painkillers for next time. Each time I asked what I should do if it happened again, I was just told 'take paracetamol...but it wont do much':rolleyes:

I've had GB attacks for a 2.5 years now and having it out on Friday. I kept thinking they would just go away, but then someone told me it was highly unlikely, so have admitted defeat
girl_flag_of_truce.gif

Hope yours gets sorted quickly. Yes...the pain is worse that childbirth!

Good luck with your surgery Karion, and your upcoming one as well Claire. Good on you Claire for continuing to abbstain - many people would use the excuse that they were ill so would stop the diet. So welldone you. Keep it up.

I am still unclear if the GS are a result of the diet, or a result of the weight issue, or neither?

I am still unclear if the GS are a result of the diet, or a result of the weight issue, or neither?
Opinions really vary. Some say that losing weight quickly can 'encourage' attacks, others disagree.

My consultant was one who disagreed. He said that he does many GB ops, and I'm the first he knew of that had done a VLCD. It was more likely to be factors like Female, overweight, forty.

I'm only in the female catagory :(

He did go on to say that he was pleased I had lost the weight though as it would make the operation that much easier to perform.

He did go on to say that he was pleased I had lost the weight though as it would make the operation that much easier to perform.

Thanks Karion - not only will your weight loss make the surgery easier for him, but recovery will be easier for you.

I just had both knees operated on, and I wish I would have know about LL before then!! ;)

Well, best luck and wishing you a speedy recovery - but milk it for all the pamerping you can get!! :D

(I just looked at your before and after pics - WOWEE!!!!!! Well done! You look like a different person!!)

Reactions: KD
eek Claire. Poor you! I hope everything goes ok with the op and that you dont have to wait too long for it. I did read about the link with VLCDs and gallstones, but I guess like everything with all brilliant things there is a downside possibly.

Hi Claire,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Well done for maintaining abstinence ! Great willpower!

Just to say that I'm thinking of you and I'm sure you will get through this soon.

WooHoo!!

Well, for those who are interested ... I got a letter to say that my appointment for scan/surgeon meeting is on jan 23rd... however, I rang them and told them it must be before because I am in pain and they have given me the 10th Jan! Just goes to show if you don't ask u don't get!!

Really glad they are taking you seriously. My poor sister was messed around for months and ended up seriously ill with a failing liver and compromised kidneys due to a stuck gallstone in the bile duct. Thankfully she made a full recovery after 2 surgeries, but should never have been allowed to get so bad. I was lucky as we had insurance and so I had my surgery privately and quickly. Keep pushing for treatment, that's my advice, you'll be so relieved when you don't have to worry about that pain any more.

One thing, though, if you do have to have an operation, I think I am right in saying you should not be on a VLCD (ie in ketosis) at the time of the op or in the lead up, tho' not sure how long before. May be best to check with your counsellor?
Good luck with it all.
SM

Really glad they are taking you seriously. My poor sister was messed around for months and ended up seriously ill with a failing liver and compromised kidneys due to a stuck gallstone in the bile duct. Thankfully she made a full recovery after 2 surgeries, but should never have been allowed to get so bad. I was lucky as we had insurance and so I had my surgery privately and quickly. Keep pushing for treatment, that's my advice, you'll be so relieved when you don't have to worry about that pain any more.

One thing, though, if you do have to have an operation, I think I am right in saying you should not be on a VLCD (ie in ketosis) at the time of the op or in the lead up, tho' not sure how long before. May be best to check with your counsellor?
Good luck with it all.
SM

Hiya... sorry to hear u had such a bad time with it.

I don't let the NHS get away with much, I NEVER go to the doctors or hospital and I think they realise that which is why they are taking me seriously. If they refuse to make it better I will personally go and sit in A&E everyday until they fix it.

You are right about the VLCD. However, I don't have a date yet so nothing I can do. I was told to have no fat in my diet because it can make the pain worse, so I have made a decision to stay on the packs for the time being because it will probably be the best diet (ie, heaps of water) to make it slightly better. :)

WooHoo!!

Well, for those who are interested ... I got a letter to say that my appointment for scan/surgeon meeting is on jan 23rd... however, I rang them and told them it must be before because I am in pain and they have given me the 10th Jan! Just goes to show if you don't ask u don't get!!

Glad they are seeing to you quickly.

I had my gallbladder out yesterday morning and have just arrived home. Feeling a tad spaced out and sore, but good to know that I won't get that awful pain again (I hope!)

Back