Gallstones??

Thanks BL. Will soon be running, jumping and dancing around the place driving the family up the wall.

Maybe tomorrow though :D

One thing, though, if you do have to have an operation, I think I am right in saying you should not be on a VLCD (ie in ketosis) at the time of the op or in the lead up, tho' not sure how long before. May be best to check with your counsellor?

Yes, do check. For Cambridge you have to be off the lower plans ie on 1200/1500 for 2 weeks before the op, and I think you can't return to the lower plans for something like 3 months after it.

You really do need to check with your counsellor. Best of luck :)

Hi

I had my gall bladder our about 20 years ago, the old fashioned way and it was a major operation. I was very slim and fit then and got over it within 4 weeks.

It has never affected me in any way since, so get well soon Karion.

Happy New Year to you all:)
Have just read this thread and I to have gall stones:( The surgeon told me I have been put on the waiting list for surgery this was back in October.:sigh: I have had very bad bouts of pain, last night was one were i was in pain from 10 pm and managed to get to bed at 4am.:nightf:The pain can last anything from 1 hour to 12 hours I have been to A&E but by the time they get to see you (because they are so busy) the pain has almost gone and they say if it gets to painful then come back.:sigh: I had tests to see if it was gall stones first I had a camera down my throat then I had a scan the camera showed I have a hiatus hernia and the scan showed the gall stones. Still waiting for my surgery date,:sigh: Hope you get yours sorted soon:hug99:

Claire - glad to see that you're getting sorted and that they've moved your appointment -- I've had my gall bladder removed and know just how agonising it can be when it flares up, the best thing I ever did is to get mine removed.

Karion - hope you're feeling better and brighter now, you'll soon notice just how good it feels to be pain free :)

Happy New Year to you all:)
Have just read this thread and I to have gall stones:( The surgeon told me I have been put on the waiting list for surgery this was back in October.:sigh: I have had very bad bouts of pain, last night was one were i was in pain from 10 pm and managed to get to bed at 4am.:nightf:The pain can last anything from 1 hour to 12 hours I have been to A&E but by the time they get to see you (because they are so busy) the pain has almost gone and they say if it gets to painful then come back.:sigh: I had tests to see if it was gall stones first I had a camera down my throat then I had a scan the camera showed I have a hiatus hernia and the scan showed the gall stones. Still waiting for my surgery date,:sigh: Hope you get yours sorted soon:hug99:

Wow that is crazy...... I think if they left me waiting for that long I will go loopy.... but I will update on Thursday! Hope it doesn't cause you too much pain in the meantime x

Wow that is crazy...... I think if they left me waiting for that long I will go loopy

The time from my first attack to the date of the first op offered was about 9 months. Unfortunately, I had to cancel that operation.

I had a few attacks after that, but asked for another appointment for an operation in September. Evidently, they have an 18 week challenge now to complete treatment.

Seems that they found a spot for me in 16 weeks:clap: Much better than before.

The time from my first attack to the date of the first op offered was about 9 months. Unfortunately, I had to cancel that operation.

I had a few attacks after that, but asked for another appointment for an operation in September. Evidently, they have an 18 week challenge now to complete treatment.

Seems that they found a spot for me in 16 weeks:clap: Much better than before.

16 weeks isn't too bad, how is recovery going??

Did you have constant pain though?? I think most people get "attacks" but mine seems to be constant... which is only being "fixed" with v strong painkillers... so they may aswell get it out or they will have to give me 3 months supply of painkillers and surely that ain't good on my liver!!!

Did you have constant pain though?? I think most people get "attacks" but mine seems to be constant...

No, it wasn't constant. Not that they asked :D It was mainly 'attacks'. Some attacks were really bad (999 job), others weren't so bad and I could just huddle on the sofa and reel obscenities. Neither was helped by any painkillers except morphine, but it certainly wasn't constant. I did get some breathing space between them thank goodness.:hug99:

Do hope they sort you quick.

Hello whats the update on this, have they treated you?
Just curious, i started CD last Jan and have lost about 8 st. From about August last year have maintained and lost a bit mainly because i had 4 holidays between end August and Christmas. However since i started eating again, i suffered from what i thought was horrendous bouts of indigestion, amazingly painful, mainly at night and lasting up to 6 or 7 hours. So i went to the docs but it was a locum and when i mentioned the weight loss, vomiting and indigestion, i think she thought she had discovered the local bulimic and just lectured me on how bad for you it was to vomit, that the indigestion would be caused by over indulging - i was trying to eat sensibly to maintain....and she sent me away with indigestion tablets.
After new year i decided to get back on CD and started SSing - this week was AAM, Thursday i ate tuna and a bit of salad, two hours later i was rolling around in agony. Made an appointment with the doc the following morning - first appointment they had - then changed that to an emergency - scared my DH to death as he arrived home as i was leaving and i burst into tears from the pain (i never cry) then bawled all the way to the docs, all through my appointment and the doc thinks i have gall stones so i am now waiting for an ultrasound appt. In the meantime i have cocodamol and omnipraxamole (or something like that) in case it is an ulcer. I seem to suffer it in attacks though not ongoing.
My pain is like a severe cramp right beneath the sternum although when the doc was examining me the most pain was on the RHS below my ribs when i tried to breath in - does this seem more likely to be gall stones (i think so, i am female, over 40 and overweight so tick most of the qualifying boxes :rolleyes:)

oh, just read this - interesting comment about rapid weight loss

The mere presence of gallstones may cause more gallstones to develop. Other factors that contribute to the formation of gallstones, particularly cholesterol stones, include
  • Sex. Women are twice as likely as men to develop gallstones. Excess estrogen from pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, and birth control pills appears to increase cholesterol levels in bile and decrease gallbladder movement, which can lead to gallstones.
  • Family history. Gallstones often run in families, pointing to a possible genetic link.
  • Weight. A large clinical study showed that being even moderately overweight increases the risk for developing gallstones. The most likely reason is that the amount of bile salts in bile is reduced, resulting in more cholesterol. Increased cholesterol reduces gallbladder emptying. Obesity is a major risk factor for gallstones, especially in women.
  • Diet. Diets high in fat and cholesterol and low in fiber increase the risk of gallstones due to increased cholesterol in the bile and reduced gallbladder emptying.
  • Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during prolonged fasting and rapid weight loss—such as “crash diets”—the liver secretes extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones. In addition, the gallbladder does not empty properly.
  • Age. People older than age 60 are more likely to develop gallstones than younger people. As people age, the body tends to secrete more cholesterol into bile.
  • Ethnicity. American Indians have a genetic predisposition to secrete high levels of cholesterol in bile. In fact, they have the highest rate of gallstones in the United States. The majority of American Indian men have gallstones by age 60. Among the Pima Indians of Arizona, 70 percent of women have gallstones by age 30. Mexican American men and women of all ages also have high rates of gallstones.
  • Cholesterol-lowering drugs. Drugs that lower cholesterol levels in the blood actually increase the amount of cholesterol secreted into bile. In turn, the risk of gallstones increases.
  • Diabetes. People with diabetes generally have high levels of fatty acids called triglycerides. These fatty acids may increase the risk of gallstones.

Hi Dibspl - where you are saying you have pain is where I used to have it before I had mine taken out. Round and below my ribs on right hand side and even through to my back - never ever ever had pain like it ---- just before I had them out it got to hte stage where even drinking water could set it off.

If it happens again don't wait for doctors just go straight to hospital, they'll give you pethidine or something else just as nice and strong to kill the pain for you --- they'll poss keep you in though and stick you on a drip but they will also scan you so that speeds up things a bit.

Hope you get it sorted (((hugs)))

I had my gallbladder out last month. No more gallstones for me :clap: The pain is excruciating:(

I have gallstones and as you have all said the pain is EXCRUCIATING. I don't know why but i am too embarrassed to go to the doctors...i take 30/500 co codamol but often vomit them back with the pain. I am a fool.

I have gallstones and as you have all said the pain is EXCRUCIATING. I don't know why but i am too embarrassed to go to the doctors...i take 30/500 co codamol but often vomit them back with the pain. I am a fool.

Yeee, get yourself to the docs. I know I kept putting it off, but then I was told that they wouldn't go away...they would keep coming back until the gallbladder was removed.

Not only that, but it can get serious. Really serious. It if infects your pancreas or liver, we are talking life-threatening.

Just get it done. Don't be embarrassed. Didn't have to flash any of the normal things we women have to flash routinely ;)

I know, I know. I am just stupid when it comes to G.P's and the like. I always think they will find "something else" wrong too. I will just wait till the summer and see what that brings. ( Yes, i know, ridiculous)

I know, I know. I am just stupid when it comes to G.P's and the like. I always think they will find "something else" wrong too. I will just wait till the summer and see what that brings. ( Yes, i know, ridiculous)

I do understand. Put up with it for 2 years and the attacks were just getting more and more frequent. In the end I was getting nervous about eating out and scared to death that I would have an attack whilst driving, or at school. It comes on so suddenly doesn't it.

To be honest, i think thats one of the reasons i have no problem with the CD, the no eating thing

the attack before this, i seriously thought about calling an ambulance but as the locum had said it was indigestion, i felt a bit stupid so i didn't but this time i couldn't put up with it.
I get the pain more in the middle but when the doc had his fingers prodding in my RHS i couldn't breath in as it hurt so much.
I'll know better if it happens again though and the cocodamol doesn't sort it.

But KD, get yourself to the docs, it can be serious, he has told me to go straight back if i get a temperature because of the risk of infection.

However, if i hadn't had experienced it, i would never have believed how painful it is...:(

Back