Gallstones??

That'd be fun, since I don't have a gallbladder :D
D'oh - sorry i meant Annie, it was because i read down my page and saw the post you quoted :p

Annie please do go and get it sorted, as KD says it can affect your liver.

When they removed my gallbladder they also had to remove part of my liver as they had soldered together my gallbladder was that bad --- luckily your liver regrows but if it had been worse the whole situation could have been much more serious.

And apart from all that you really shouldn't have to put up with the pain.

had mine out 5 years ago by keyhole. Best thing I ever did! No pain. Actually the best thing I ever did surgically was a hysterectomy, but I expect thats another thread!

Hey... sorry I didn't realise this thread was still about!!!

For an update: I had a scan a few weeks back and they said it didn't look as though there was much wrong with my gall bladder besides a bit of inflammation. On the other hand, my liver was "fatty" which they said couldn't be causing the pain because the liver has no pain receptors... So... I have to go for a further blood test next week jst to make sure my liver's getting "better" but have been told to steer clear of fatty foods/alcohol (hmm... I don't think that will be a problem on LL!)

Good thing though is tht I have had no pain in the same area since new year... REALLY don't want it back either!!!

Sorry to hear alot of u are havin trouble with it... definately go and get it checked out xx

• Diet. Diets high in fat and cholesterol and low in fiber increase the risk of gallstones due to increased cholesterol in the bile and reduced gallbladder emptying.
Sorry, but that's utter tosh! From the thread http://www.minimins.com/very-low-ca...at-i-think-very-low-calorie-diets-vlcd-s.html"b) Gallstones. Rapid weight loss causes a temporary increase in the concentration of cholesterol in bile. This increases the risk factor for gallstones, something that women have a higher risk factor for than men. What's even worse is that VLCD's are usually very low in fat. The gallbladder is a muscular sac which stores bile. When >=10g of dietary fat is eaten, this stimulates the secretion of cholecystikin, which in turn stimulates contraction of the gallbladder muscle, which expels the bile from inside the gallbladder into the duodenum. The lower the fat content of a meal, the less the gallbladder contracts and gallbladder stasis can result.

See The role of gallbladder emptying in gallstone form...[Hepatology. 1996] - PubMed Result

The problem with the above study is that the two groups of subjects were not eating the same number of calories.

See Gallbladder motility and gallstone formation in ob...[Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998] - PubMed Result

and

Similarity in gallstone formation from 900 kcal/da...[Dig Dis Sci. 1998] - PubMed Result

In these studies, both groups were on the same calorie intake. In the second study 17% of the low-fat group developed gallstones while 11.2% of the higher-fat group developed gallstones.

I would be happier with VLCD's if there was one meal a day containing >=10g of fat. This could be achieved by supplementing with nine 1,000mg Fish Oil capsules at one meal."

Cheers, Nige.

On the other hand, my liver was "fatty" which they said couldn't be causing the pain because the liver has no pain receptors... So... I have to go for a further blood test next week jst to make sure my liver's getting "better" but have been told to steer clear of fatty foods/alcohol (hmm... I don't think that will be a problem on LL!)
Eating fat does not cause fatty livers. Eating too much carbohydrate (or drinking too much alcohol) does. When liver glycogen stores become full, any extra sugary/starchy carbs that are eaten are converted into triglycerides (a.k.a. fats) in a process called lipogenesis which a) raises levels of triglycerides in the blood (bad) as well as b) accumulating in the liver (bad). Do you know your serum triglyceride levels? If not, ask for a blood test.

Cheers, Nige (I am not a doctor, nutritionist or dietician).

Eating fat does not cause fatty livers. Eating too much carbohydrate (or drinking too much alcohol) does. When liver glycogen stores become full, any extra sugary/starchy carbs that are eaten are converted into triglycerides (a.k.a. fats) in a process called lipogenesis which a) raises levels of triglycerides in the blood (bad) as well as b) accumulating in the liver (bad). Do you know your serum triglyceride levels? If not, ask for a blood test.

Cheers, Nige (I am not a doctor, nutritionist or dietician).

Wayyyyyyy too confusing... but yep... I drank heaps... Used to easily demolish a litre of JD on a night out... so could be that... and the amount I drank when I "lapsed" (it was planned) over xmas could have been why I had the pain if its related to alcohol? I drank about the same amount on the 21st Dec. :eek:

I had my gall bladder removed just over a year ago. I just had one large stone rather than lots of little ones and was just told to eat less fat and was put on the waiting list. The pain always appeared after eating lasagne and I did have an excruciating night after a doner kebab!
A week after I was due for the op I was in immense pain and had jaundice due this large stone travelling into my bile duct and causing a blockage, which the docs said wouldn't happen as it was a large stone...hmmmm. Anyway I ended up having 3 ERCP's (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/ercp.htm)to clear widen the bile duct and then remove the stone and then a couple of months later I had my gall bladder removed just to make sure I would get no more. I haven't even got a stone in a bottle to show for all my pain as it was ground up when then did the ERCP's (horrible things under sedation whereas in the US they apparently do a general!)
I was 35 fat not fair, but my grandmother also had gallstones so there is a genetic link.
Agree with the other the morphine was fab! I was also prescribed Pethedine for home use as the pain was so bad, and would take that with parcetamol, ibuprofen & buscopan.

Once you have developed (a) gallstone(s), eating fat causes severe pain as your blocked-up gallbladder tries to contract and empty its contents but can't.

That's why you have to avoid eating fat while you are waiting for a gallbladder removal operation.

Hi Nige,

I have just been reading Dr Schwarzbein's Principle from your link. Wow. I have recently been reading a lot about low carb, 'adequate protein' diets (eg. Drs Eades' books). It all makes so much sense to me. I have been low fat, high carb dieting for years and just getting fatter. Now I know why. It is a bitter-sweet discovery for me though as I have 2 daughters who are type 1 diabetics, although I suppose they could reduce their carb levels to a degree as well. But I know what I'm going to be doing for ME once I get over the operation I had last week (2nd this year!!). So thanks for the link. Anyway, I'm off to bed now so nite nite all!!
SM

or some ground up linseeds? Kills two birds then, the fat problem and the bowels! LOL!

or some ground up linseeds? Kills two birds then, the fat problem and the bowels! LOL!
Three, actually. 25g of ground-up linseeds also provides a woman (but not a man) with all of the omega-3 she needs for one day. I don't think that it tastes as nice as cheese, though! :D

However, a lump of fatty cheese or 25g of ground-up linseeds are almost certainly not allowed on a VLCD. :(

This has given me an idea.....I am going to make another long post on the VLCD forum. :) Nige x

RE: Gallstones. Can bright yellow watery poo be a symptom? Along with the right sided gastric pain?

Has anyone tried the natural remedy for gallstones? Organic apple juice, lemon, oil, epsom salts?? Just asking!!!!!!

Ulp! Sounds, er, interesting! Just wanted to comment that when I was in an accute surgical ward with a broken (actually completely mashed) ankle, a poor girl was admitted with gallstones and her suffering was terrible to see... really sorry for those of you with this problem! Hope you can get it permanently sorted.

And yes, morphine.... mmmm. You can see why...but enough already!

RE: Gallstones. Can bright yellow watery poo be a symptom? Along with the right sided gastric pain?

Hmmm not sure about watery poo, but when I had jaundice from the blockage my poo went a creamy colour and my wee was orange. The pain is just under the ribcage on the right hand side, and one doc did a test where he asked me to breathe in, the stuck his fingers under my rib cage and then told me to breathe out.....I literally squealed with pain! :eek: I forgot the name of that test, but it certainly isn't nice.

As for the flushing, I think it can work if you have lots of little stones, but can also make you very sick too. I personally wouldn't risk it.

I have had the pain once that lasted days and nights and lived on morphine. Even now on cd ssing i am having the odd twinge in that reason, not like before when it was going through to my back and i couldn't get my breath! I'd like to give the narural remedy a go if any one has any further experience of it. The healthlibrarian recommends against it.and offers something else foe a fee. I just dont know what to do.

I love the idea of natural remedies, and have tried some. but I have to be honest - I just don;t find they work, at all?? I don't know it is psychological, or just my body, or what - but I never get a result from anything natural. Am I alone here? Do others get results?

just speaking in general, not about gallbladders per se as not been a prob for me <touch wood>

Are you on the waiting list to have your gall bladder removed? If so maybe go and see your GP and tell them that you are in agony all the time with it and they should contact your consultant to see if they can bring it forward, and you can phone the hospital to register for a cancellation. I can truely sympathize with you the pain can be horrific.

Do you mean me eso??? God no. I have not seena GP for years. TERRIFIED of all that. I have a bad heart. 2 operations, discharged myself, refused follow up. I am such a loser in that department.

Blonde Logic..I find the Bach Flower therapies work and i used to give them to my children and they worked. Obviously my children didn't know what they were taking at the time and they got batter. What i mean is, i don't think it was just psychological.

Back