gallstones!!

nicki26

Gold Member
well i didn't think that i would find out today but the kind lady that did my ultrasound scan pointed out to me LOTS of little gallstones on the screen:sigh:

she said she will now send my results on to my doctor and i will then be referred on to the people that deal with gallbladders lol to arrange the removal of my gallbladder or whatever they will have to do.

she also scanned my left kidney? :confused: have no idea why the left and not the right one but she said it was to complete the scan.anyone got any ideas why they do this hmmmmm

so anyway,just thought i would let you all know what has been causing me the pain,just hope i get the op soon to get it sorted.

I had to wait a few months for mine but it was relatively quick. I cant honestly remember if she scanned my kidneys but perhaps she scanned the one closest the gallbladder to see if any had passed into the kidney itself -which -I think -can sometimes happen.

Glad it went ok -you'll be fine soon now, I promise. Just take it easy. :D

At least you know what it is now :D seems gallstones are a fairly well documented side effect of these diets but they also are with obesity so I guess not much of a pay off...hope you get it all resolved painlessly xxxxx

hope it all gets sorted out soon for you. Xx

well i didn't think that i would find out today but the kind lady that did my ultrasound scan pointed out to me LOTS of little gallstones on the screen:sigh:

she said she will now send my results on to my doctor and i will then be referred on to the people that deal with gallbladders lol to arrange the removal of my gallbladder or whatever they will have to do.

she also scanned my left kidney? :confused: have no idea why the left and not the right one but she said it was to complete the scan.anyone got any ideas why they do this hmmmmm

so anyway,just thought i would let you all know what has been causing me the pain,just hope i get the op soon to get it sorted.
hi nicky not sure if you read my reply to your previous post about you heading off for scan. I am dreading if I have gallstones that I would have to have an op :eek:. Does anyone know if they can be dissolved by taking medicine ?? Good luck anyway and I cant say I'm looking forward to my scan on the 18th of november.

Hiya Glad to hear ya have finally found out what is going on. The operation is pretty simple but depends on which option they are going to do. Gallstones can be removed by laparoscopic cholecystectomy, this is the most common keyhole galbladder removal which normally takes between 60 to 90mins but ya will be under general anaesthesia. Gallstones are not normally a problem and sometimes can be left unless ya have serious pain relating to them which then they have to be removed. If ya are squeemish about surgery ya can opt for dissolution which uses medicine to disolve the gallstones but this is not 100% for every patient. For future reference for everyone else if ya really want to prevent them eat loads of fresh fruit and veg and avoid anything with gelatine in your products, hope this helps.

Hiya Glad to hear ya have finally found out what is going on. The operation is pretty simple but depends on which option they are going to do. Gallstones can be removed by laparoscopic cholecystectomy, this is the most common keyhole galbladder removal which normally takes between 60 to 90mins but ya will be under general
anaesthesia. Gallstones are not normally a problem and sometimes can be left unless ya have serious pain relating to them which then they have to be removed. If ya are squeemish about surgery ya can opt for dissolution which uses medicine to disolve the gallstones but this is not 100% for every patient. For future reference for everyone else if ya really want to prevent them eat loads of fresh fruit and veg and avoid anything with gelatine in your products, hope this helps.

i get pain almost every day from mine that usually lasts for at least three hours and it is always sore and tender in that area, the woman that did the ultrasound said the gallbladder was inflamed which probably explains this.

thankyou for the information xxxx

hi nicky not sure if you read my reply to your previous post about you heading off for scan. I am dreading if I have gallstones that I would have to have an op :eek:. Does anyone know if they can be dissolved by taking medicine ?? Good luck anyway and I cant say I'm looking forward to my scan on the 18th of november.

hun good luck with your scan, i believe that you can take medicine to help dissolve them but this isnt the case for everyone, i think that it depends on the size of them,how many there are and what type of gallstones they are as they can be made of different substances. i am just going to wait and see what the consultant says when i get around to seeing one. if it gets rid of the pain i dont mind to be honest, it has to be better than coping with this. i had to cancel the trip to butlins with the kids as i didnt want to go away aand be in agony, it is taking over my life so a little op to hopefully get rid of the pain sounds good to me:D

hope you get sorted xxxxxx

Yes that is normal, the pain lasts up to three hours but gradually fades, ya might also be feeling sick or feeling restless as well. In some people the pain can travel from shoulder to the pain and can be mistaken for a heart attack which is not but always good to check yourself out as well. If ya havent already got it, the doctor may send ya for some blood and urine tests to check for signs of infection, jaundice, inflamation or problems with the pancreas. If ya need any other information let us know I will be happy to answer your questions, take care

hi nicky at least you know whats wrong and know it can get sorted all the best
xx

Hi Nicki,
Sorry you have the dreaded gallstones! As I've said before, I've been there myself, they will sort you out, don't worry too much. Most people get to have it done laparascopically (keyhole) and you'll br fighting fit in no time.
The reason for scanning your left kidney is exactly what she said, to complete the scan. When the Sonographer scans the Gallbladder, he or she can see the Liver, Pancreas, Common Bile Duct and right Kidney (coz these are all in the same sort of area) They then take a peek at the left Kidney, just for completeness.
Hope you get an appointment soon. Don't hesitate to go to A&E if you get any acute or severe pain, coz they may do it sooner rather than later, to avoid any problems.
Good luck Hunni, xxxx

Hi Nicki,
In some ways its a relief it's just gallstones & not something more serious? Your symptons were quite scary with the 1st attack.
When i had my 1st really bad episode, i was referred for the scan too, then given the option for surgery quite soon. I declined as i was breastfeeding, but had to be very strict with fats, if i even ate too many cabs i'd be sore.
I had the removal a yr later so you can 'delay', but take your gp's advice on your own case.
I sort of lived in fear of another stone getting stuck, so i'll be honest & say it was a relief to have it out.
I still get the odd bit of colic, i don't know why??
Good luck with your decision xx

Hi,hope they sort it out soon for you,at least you know what it is now! take care!! caz xx

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having this trouble. I hope it's all something simple and settles down with time.

Back