Gammon

the gammon rounds are actually round and they add cereal and other stuff into it.
gammon steaks are more odd shaped and darker in colour because they are whole cuts of bacon rather then added water/cereal.
it will say in the pack reformed gammon or somthing along those lines!

I love gammon and pineapple but it costs the earth these days so i wait til its on offer LOL

I have a delicious way of cooking a joint of gammon, takes about 3 hours slow roasted in the oven and is syns but it is worth the syns.

Use a le crueset type casserole dish. Add a small amount of olive oil, loads of cinnamon and nutmeg, a couple of glugs of water and a tablespoon of orange reduced sugar marmalade. Coat the gammon in the pastey juice, put the lid on the casserole dish and cook on gas mark 3 for about three hours. I swear you will never have tasted anything like it! I'm not sure how many syns, probably about 9 syns for the whole marinade but you can either not use it at the end or add it to gravy if you are having it as a roast - I tend to add some of it to the gravy but not all of it, so I don't think it's really that high in syns and for the flavour it is delicious. I reckon if you just take the meat out after and don't use the juices that you will only be looking at 1 syn.... but I'm not sure how that works, I would guess at that because you are only eating the flavour of the marinade and not the actual marinade.....

But like you say not the cheapest, I pay about £4 for a gammon joint that will feed 2-3 people. Worth it!

Emerald
X

If you can see the pattern of the muscle fibres being continuous, and the gammon has fat around one edge then it's real meat. if it looks like lots of bits compacted together then it's reformed.

Back