Gardeners?

.Nicki.

Minimin Addict
We moved into a house in January that has a lovely big garden unfortunatly the previous people who lived here have trashed it. Once we've sorted it i'd like to start growing some fruit and veggies but i don't have a clue where to start. Any advice would be great.

Hi Nicki, First you need to sit down and plan what it is you want your garden to look like when it is done. Veg patch, flower section, part lawn, etc. Then you can see to digging over the bits where plants or veg are to go. Depending on what your soil is like, you may need to get some additions to add to it such as manure for the veg section or just to help rejuvinate the soil itself if it is in a poor condition.
Will be interesting to see how you get on. Do pm me if I can be of further help.

All the very best to you....:)

Hiya Nicki - we just got our allotment in feb and iiit was a total wasteland! Emmaline is right, you need to start with a plan, even if it's a rough, back of an envelope sketch :D
you need to think about what light levels each area of your garden has so you can choose where to put seating/fruit/veg/flowers/bbq etc.
clearing it in the first place is hard work, but excellent fat burning if you really do it like you mean it! ;)
let us know how you get on, i love gardening! <3

Hiya, just got my first allotment two weeks ago, and am having to turn the ground over as it was (and pretty much still is) a field! Really hard going, so am doing a square metre at a time cause I am so unfit!

My main tip with growing veggies is grow what you will eat! been growing them in the garden for a few years and people kept telling me to start off with salad, kale, oriental greens etc. Well, there is no way my family will eat any of them, so I grew potatoes, carrots and parsnips with no problems at all! lol

Back