1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi Guest, let me just say that you are awesome for signing up to MiniMins. Your account is now validated. Your first few posts will be moderated. This is mainly to prevent spam showing on our forum. Dont worry we will get to your post most likely within 30 minutes between 8am and 11pm. Thanks again!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Gemma's Diary

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting - Diaries' started by gemmy, 15 January 2014 Social URL.

1. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the boring name!

My mission this year is to stop bingeing on chocolate & junk by giving up my trigger foods.

I've battled bulimia for years & this January I've decided that cutting out the foods that make me feel crap is the only long term solution.
    I've had therapy which was useful to a certain degree.

Last night I bought mini packs of chocolate thinking I would have one a day within my calorie allowance to try to prove that I can manage these foods in small amounts. I binged on half of them before throwing the rest in the bin. I can't have them.

Despite trying lots of diets I've never tried cutting out the foods that seem to make me binge so I'm going to give this a very big effort. It's always been lose/binge/lose/binge so I'm hoping 2014 is the year I crack this for good.

I don't just want to lose weight, I want to feel in control & healthy. At the moment I'm scared I'm going to develop diabetes from the amount of sugar I eat.

My aim is for 1,200 net calories a day spent on nutritious food that fuels me, I'll be checking labels to avoid foods containing sugar as much as possible & will obviously not be eating chocolate & cakes etc!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

My starting weight is 12 stone 4, I'm 5 foot 4 & a dress size 14-16 (mostly 16 but get into 14s in some shops)

The lowest I've ever been as an adult is 9 stone 13 & I was a size 10-12. That was 5 years ago & I look so healthy on photos from then.

My end goal is to get to 9 stone & a size 10.

4. BerryBerry

BerryBerry Well-Known Member

Good luck Gemma. I hope you can break the cycle with binging. I would suggest doing it gradually. So rather than cold turkey on everything all at once which is a lot of pressure, perhaps break it into smaller targets. For example, you could try and give up chocolate for a month but concentrate purely on that so if you are craving it you can allow yourself flapjacks or other non-chocolate treats. Once you have successfully completed that, then move onto the next thing and so on. If that makes sense?

Obviously you know what is best , its just a suggestion that I find is working for me at the moment. I have given up chocolate for January and although I have been allowing myself other puddings (ie. crumble in a restuarant the other day rather than the choc brownie and icecream!) I do find that the pause makes me consider whether I really want something. If I do really want something sweet, I have to chose a non-choc item and often I don't fancy it enough to "spend" my calories on so I do without :) Also I keep nothing chocolate in the house so I only face the battle in supermarkets. I have been having a scrape of peanut butter on ricecakes when I get a "sweet craving" or the activia creamy pot things are good. I also find a mug of low cal hot chocolate helps me in the evenings after my dinner to round up the day.

Anyway what a ramble! Good luck!!!!

5. LilEm

LilEm Well-Known Member

Here to subscribe. Good luck :) x

6. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Thank you both, and thanks very much for your suggestion Berry. I do know what you mean about tackling one thing at a time, and if I give myself permission to have something non chocolate that might help, I'll keep you updated on how I get on x

7. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Day 1

Porridge & banana for breakfast - 219 cals

Lunch is sweet potato falafel & salad. Greek yogurt, honey & grapes for dessert. 439 cals

Feeling good. I've made salmon & pesto for dinner & am just going to have carrots & butternut squash with that. I know it's only lunch time but it's amazing how much more positive I feel when I'm eating well

8. BerryBerry

BerryBerry Well-Known Member

All sounds delicious :)

9. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Another good day

Protein shake
    Tomato & basil soup
    Flapjack
    Salmon & salad

All came in at just over 1,400 calories including 2 cups of coffee.
    I signed up to the gym today so will be going on my lunchtimes at work.

Hope you're doing good too x

10. fibroprincess

fibroprincess Member

best of luck to you! you can do it xxx

11. BeckyBoo93

BeckyBoo93 Member

Here to subscribe! Looks great so far. I want flapjack now, though :p. Good luck.

12. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Still here still no chocolate! I feel really crap today though because I weighed myself for the first time in ages & I'm 8lb heavier than I thought!

I basically had some old manual scales that showed me as 12.4 & some digital scales that showed 12.12. I dropped the digital ones ages ago so figured they were wrong & that manual are sturdier & more predictable. Well today I bought another set of digital & they show 12.12 too. Gutted! I genuinely thought I'd broken the others.

I know I have weight to lose but seeing 8lb more than I thought has just made me feel rubbish, I fe like attempting a food replacement diet just to get some progress made on the weight front.

13. Lisa123

Lisa123 Well-Known Member

Hi gemmy, here to subscribe i too am a huge chocolate binger how are you getting on today x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MiniMins.com mobile app

14. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the subscribe. Feeling much better today thank you! I have come out at just under 1,400 calories & all of it on good food so I'm feeling positive. I set an alarm on my phone & ate something small every 3 hours so I haven't had a "meal" today, more snacks. I had soup, prawns, Greek yogurt, blueberries & protein shakes. I'm still trying to keep away from sugar, especially after watching Are You Addicted to Sugar? last night . Did you see it? X

15. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Downloaded Diet Piggyback to my phone. It tracks your cravings & calculates how many calories you've saved from not eating it. Should be quite an eye opener!

16. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

A good day
    Fighting the urge to go on a VLCD but I know from the past that I can't stick to those. Calories today came in at 1,043. Thinking of throwing 2 or 3 fast days in to speed weight loss up without being as strict as something like Cambridge diet

17. Lisa123

Yep I saw addicted to sugar. Wasn't ad interesting as I'd hoped. Have you read a book called beyond chocolate? I have heard its meant to be very good. X

18. Lisa123

Gemmy I personally couldn't do a vlcd I know people rave about them. Im too greedy. X

19. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Scales showing 12.4lb - somehow dropping 8lb?! I'm happy for the drop but I think it just made me realise I shouldn't be ruled by the scales - as long as I feel I'm improving my health & my relationship with food then that's progress for me.
    I had eggs Benedict for breakfast this morning - gorgeous & just over 330 calories. I've done tonnes of ironing & cleaning & am ready for a nice weekend with my family.

Hope you're doing well x

20. gemmy

gemmy Well-Known Member

Going to get rid of scales & weigh weekly at Boots - mine keeping jumping from day to day & I don't trust them.
    I've adjusted my goal in MFP to lose 1lb a week, I feel better already for that. Instead of pushing myself to lose as quick as possible I want to stop the yo-yo by setting less gruelling goals. I will be at goal by 26 July at that rate which is around my daughters 4th birthday & my 10th anniversary with my partner so they're really good events to aim for I think

21. MinzieMoo

MinzieMoo Well-Known Member

Mine said 14st 11 on Monday morning, had a naughty takeaway Monday night yet went down to 14st 8 Tuesday !
    Think I'm guna start getting weighed in boots too!