Getting nutritionally rich veg

Sandcatcher

Hi all,
just watched a programme on the tv which suggests that the veg we eat now contains a fraction of the nutrition that it did 50 years ago. Can't remember exact figures but, Spinach contains something like a twentieth of the iron content it once had.
So my question is, where do we get veg that is nutritionally rich? Organic is not supposed to contain anymore nutrients than non organic.
I would rather eat veg that has lots of goodness in.

If you can, I would grow it yourself.

Out of interest, what was the programme?

It's true though - due to over-farming, our soil has lost a vast amount of nutrients that it used to have. Farmers only actually tend to replace 3 back into the soil - the rest are lost, unfortunately.

Organic is better in the sense that it's as close as you can get to completely untouched and as it should be, but no, it doesn't mean that they're any more nutritious.

Not going to do a sales pitch here, but the company that I work for provide vitamins & supplements that are built around this whole concept. They're in the same form as food, so the body recognises what it is - they're just there to bridge that gap in what we ordinarily receive in a general diet and what our bodies actually need.

We're actually designed to live til 120 years old, but our lifestyle & quality of food and choices suggest otherwise!

Programme was - 50 shocking facts about diet and exercise- on channel 5

Was thinking about growing my own as the only solution

Thanks for the replies
Tim

19JB87 said:
If you can, I would grow it yourself.

Out of interest, what was the programme?

It's true though - due to over-farming, our soil has lost a vast amount of nutrients that it used to have. Farmers only actually tend to replace 3 back into the soil - the rest are lost, unfortunately.

Organic is better in the sense that it's as close as you can get to completely untouched and as it should be, but no, it doesn't mean that they're any more nutritious.

Not going to do a sales pitch here, but the company that I work for provide vitamins & supplements that are built around this whole concept. They're in the same form as food, so the body recognises what it is - they're just there to bridge that gap in what we ordinarily receive in a general diet and what our bodies actually need.

We're actually designed to live til 120 years old, but our lifestyle & quality of food and choices suggest otherwise!

Very interesting. Can I ask about vitamins and supplements if that's ok ? I was just wondering what the best one is to take. I'm breastfeeding and am always tired. My hair is breaking off as are my nails. Would be greatful for any advice please x

Back