given up smoking

GreenDayJen

on the 1 april i will have given up smoking for eight months. i used to smoke 20 a day and had done since i was 16. i just wanted to say, it can be done! with the ban coming in in just over 3 months, wouldn't it be a good plan to give up now, rather than be forced into it?

trust me, i never thought i could do it. if i can, so can you!
i think it is national stop smoking day next week as well.

x

Well done on giving up smoking and losing weight:clap:

Love Mini xxx

i'd encourage everyone to do it. it is so nice not to stink anymore and i reckon i'll be more likely to find the man of my dreams being a non-smoker (cos this is of course much more important than my health. lol). i'm going to treat mysef to teeth whitening after i have my wisdom tooth out later this month.

on the 1 april i will have given up smoking for eight months. i used to smoke 20 a day and had done since i was 16. i just wanted to say, it can be done! with the ban coming in in just over 3 months, wouldn't it be a good plan to give up now, rather than be forced into it?

trust me, i never thought i could do it. if i can, so can you!
i think it is national stop smoking day next week as well.

x

Many many congratulations on giving up, I hope your sucess inspires others. I'm presently witnessing my MIL battling lung cancer which really brings it home so please, please anybody who's thinking about quitting.......PLEASE TRY TO FIND THE STRENGTH TO DO SUCCEED.

Well done

Big achievement Jen and well worth it. You will be so glad when you are older and realise how much damage you could have done to yourself if you still smoked.

Hope you've been treating yourself with the money you've saved.

Dizzy x

haven't treated myself yet but am going to get teeth whitening after i have a wisdom tooth removed (eek) this month and once that's all healed up and better. to be honest, i have no idea how ever afforded to amoke in the first place but that's addiciton for you.

cheb- so sorry to hear about your MIL. hope she gets better.

xx

im on day 15 of non smoking..and its been surprisingly easy really. i went to my gp and got my patches and gum, and haven't looked back. the gum is revolting and i only use it occasionaly . the patches seem to do the job. in fact i forgot to put my patch on tuesday and i diddnt notice until i went to bed! yesterdy was difficult as i had a stressy day at work but apart from that i havent even thought about smoking

deffo reccomend getting the patcheson prescription..saved me well over £70! :)

Well done Jen,
you must have amazing willpower to give up smoking as well as eating!! unfortunately I find I smoke twice as much while SSing, probably to replace eating.
It is next on my list to tackle though!

im on day 15 of non smoking..and its been surprisingly easy really. i went to my gp and got my patches and gum, and haven't looked back. the gum is revolting and i only use it occasionaly . the patches seem to do the job. in fact i forgot to put my patch on tuesday and i diddnt notice until i went to bed! yesterdy was difficult as i had a stressy day at work but apart from that i havent even thought about smoking

deffo reccomend getting the patcheson prescription..saved me well over £70! :)

Well done, I admire your resolve.

day 20..all going well still................AND over the weekned i totally forgot to wear my patches,,and i diddtn miss them..i wear them at work, thats when im at my most stressful and more likely to light up
just be careful about missing the patches. i did this a few times, thought i was fine then BHAM, suddenly craving again. not worth the risk. i'd suggest wearing the patch every day for at least a month, even if you feel like you don't need them. bit of a safety net. i only used them for 6 weeks, then willpower all the way. i only used gum when it was really bad. once overdosed unintentionally by using gum and patch at same time and fainted on the train. oops. instinctively ripped my patch off without thinking. my body must have been telling me what was wrong! so my advice is keep using the patches and be careful of having the odd gum when you have a patch on. a few is fine but not too many.
well done on giving up so far. massive achievement!!
x

Well done Jen,
you must have amazing willpower to give up smoking as well as eating!! unfortunately I find I smoke twice as much while SSing, probably to replace eating.
It is next on my list to tackle though!

i too smoked like a train on ss. felt like it was my lifesaver but really it was killing me. however it is so hard to give up both. i lost my weight first. got to goal, waited a few months, then tackled the smoking. put on a few pounds but beats lung cancer eh? both my dad's parents died of smoking related illness and it roke his heart seeing me smoke but i wouldnt give up until i was ready. that's important too.
best of luck when you're ready xx

Hi all, I would like like to tell you a story(will try to keep it short).My fiancee Martyn was a smoker up until 12 months ago, he smoked up to 40 a day, and he started in his teens.
One day I noticed his voice seems really hoarse and mentioned he should see the Dr.After a few weeks of me nagging he did, he was told he had Tonsilitus.In fact he didnt he had Cancer.We found out after I asked for him to be referred to a ENT consultant.He didnt have the sypmtoms of tonsilitus, he was still working, carrying on as norm.He was given laser treatment which worked for a short while(he was still smoking at this point)After a few months he was sent for a scan and they found he had stage 4 cancer of his Larynx.I asked how many stages were there for this cancer and I was told 4.He was booked in for majory surgery in May of this year for a total Lartyngetomee.He had his voice box removed and he now breaths through a hole in his neck.He never chose to give up, and im sure he would still be now,but
Martyn fortunatly cannot smoke since his operation as he cannot breathe through his mouth or nose.He is just 42years of age.

On a really happy note 6 months post op, he is now back at work Full Time as a long distance lorry driver.He has put on a few stone, but its a small price for what could have cost him his life.

bloody hell. really makes you think. thanks for sharing. can he speak now? what happens when you have your voicebox removed?
glad to hear he has back at work and i'm sure you have been a massive support.
x

Hi Jen, yes he does speak with the help of a speech valve which he had inserted at the time of his surgery.He covers his stoma(hole in his neck) when he wants to speak.
Good luck to everyone who is trying to give up:)

So glad Martyn is keeping well now...

I found it ever so hard to stop smoking, but so very glad I did:)

Love Mini xxx

I quit smoking on March 13th , 2007. I started when I was 13 and became a full time smoker by age 16. Smoked until I was 27. I quit for 4 years and then started up again. I smoked for another 7 years. So that is 21 years of my life and also being raised by a smoker who smoked inside the house all the time. I can just imagine what my lungs look like. But now I need to loose weight. I was thin for years. Until I moved across the country into a slower life style. Got married had 2 kids ( both special needs kids). Needless to say I am freaking out about trying to diet again and not smoke. I will keep you all updated on the not smoking . Haven't started the diet yet. Still researching. Bought some Hoodia today. I hope it helps.

Well done to those who have managed to kick the dreaded weed. By no means an easy feat.

I stopped smoking 5 weeks ago and it was sooooo easy.

I used a book called "Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking."
It was absolutely fantastic. I know of 3 other people who have given up with this method.
By the time you finish reading the book you are a non smoker with no withdrawal symptoms.

I smoked from the age of 15 for 31 years and was on 20 a day. everyone who knows me is amazed as my fags were permanently superglued to my lips!!! LOL.

I would urge everyone to try this book - especially if your dieting. (Plus its a lot cheaper than gum and patches)

Back