Giza's reluctant diary...!

Giza

I'm not a diary person. I get so much from reading everyone else's and have highjacked a fair few but the time has come to bite the bullet. I need to 'diary' to chart this sudden development!

I've run into a problem and I wonder if anyone has experienced similar. Chatted about it to my 'work-support-group' (wonderful words those) today which helped enormously but briefly. I have a history of low selenium levels. The only way I know about it are the onset of feelings of anxiety and experiencing mild panic antics. "Mild/panic/and attack" is me being brave as there is no such thing, as any of you who have experienced these, will know. Anyway, they are looming for me and I think it's my selenium levels after such a fast and steady weight loss. So today, after about five days of steadily worsening episodes, I've added the chicken (100 g) and the 200 grams of veggies (broccoli). I had this today, first solid food in 9 weeks to the day. Feel stuffed, a bit of a failure but the alternative is much worse. :break_diet:What is good is that I haven't gone berserk but I am concerned re the effect on my scales. But frankly, if it's a choice between adding food or suffering a panic attack...well... no choice really.

I will weigh tomorrow as I can't help myself and log it here. It's a bit sad as I'm at my lowest from this morning but.... Just wanted to share this with you all and as I'm now in unchartered territory,

I'm going to log what I eat here and the resulting losses (or lack thereof). I'm not happy, as those of you who have heard my worries about adding food will understand. I feel absolutely stuffed and its two hours since I ate, but I also feel I had no choice. I'm going to add the same each day until next monday. It's hopefully a way to bump up my selenium. I've also bought some sunflower seeds, which are high in selenium. I'm going to take a teasp. each morning. I don't know if technically this means I'm not following the VLCD, or whether it's just like a refeeding week. That's how I'm trying to see it. I want to see how my body (and more importantly, my mind) copes! :sigh:

100 gs chicken
200 gs broccoli
1 teasp. sunflower seeds
2 squares of 85% dark chocolate (I know, nurse recommended, tasted horrid)!

Last edited:
Giza, You are definitely doing the right thing. The health of your mind is just as important as the health of your body. Chicken as you know is ok to eat as is the small amount of permitted veggies. Try not to jump on the scales too much. - You told me that lol :-D YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE - Celebrate your amazing achievement so far and I know you will continue to lose the weight you want to lose. I found a new drink today and I am bringing in to show you tomorrow we can both try it together! xxx

Thanks CK, I really appreciate your encouragement and support!!! xx I'm going to need it in avoiding the scales!!!!!!!!!

I'm here for you - every step of the way, I promise xx

You are not a failure. You are making positive adjustments consciously and that is a good thing, I reckon.

About the sunflower seeds: on AAW8, one teaspoon is allowed as a snack so you are not hijacking weightloss in any way.

You are not a failure. You are making positive adjustments consciously and that is a good thing, I reckon.

About the sunflower seeds: on AAW8, one teaspoon is allowed as a snack so you are not hijacking weightloss in any way.

Thanks Maka, that is good to know about the sunflower!!! Don't suppose anyone snook in dark chocolate on a vlcd?! I'm an experiment in waiting. Going to take CK's advice and NOT get on the scales until next Monday. That is a challenge for me and then some!

Sorry you're not feeling great Giza. I'm afraid I don't know anything about low levels of selenium to be honest. Can you get a supplement that helps with it? As far as the addition of the food is concerned you are absolutely still on plan. It might mean you've stepped up a bit earlier than you intended but the plan will still work with the added protein and veggies and you should still be on track for decent losses. I think 100g of protein and 200g of veggies all in one go might be a bit much after a few weeks on food packs! I'd probably split it up a bit more if I was going to have the full 200g of veg, so add some veggies to the soup pack maybe (do you have the soup?), or have a small salad at lunchtime with an incy bit of low cal / low carb dressing (will only be a few calories and negligible carbs), and then have the protein in the evening with some more veg. Might stop that bloated feeling like you've overeaten, and having trained our stomachs to expect less on a VLCD the last thing you want is to feel stuffed having eaten.

Hope you feel better soon, and remember you are absolutely not going off plan! That's the beauty of this diet - there is a plan that suits everyone's individual needs and circumstances.

Dark choc in small amounts is allowed on the Go Lower plan as an occasional treat (I lost 5 stone on that - and yes I did have the occasional choc!!)
I agree with the others that you have got to adjust your diet slightly to conpensate for your bodies needs, it shouldnt stop your weightloss so please dont worry about it!
There is no point to losing weight if you are unable to enjoy it so just make the small adaptions and I really hope that does achieve what you need!

Yay you finally have a diary!! But I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties. I really really hope this works out for you you've done fantastically well. Take care of yourself and report progress!! xx

Thanks all! I really appreciate your reassurances. BG, I wish I'd read your post before I indulged. I had my food intake at about 4.30 pm yesterday. And I'm STILL FULL at 10.30 am (next day) as I write!!!! Let anyone else moving to real food take a warning from this! I really wasn't thinking straight. I should have known that I should phase it in gradually, but it seemed like such a tiny meal!!!! Anyway, I've learnt and will phase it in more gradually during the rest of my week 12 'break' which is happening in week 10, for me - but that's ok!

Good news, not only didn't I go berserk around food, but I found what I had satisfying (and then some) and understand now, that I will NOT be able to eat 500 grams of anything in one go.

I feel I'm addressing my selenium issues in a good way, not cheating or failing, so all is well! Let's hope it continues this way.

Oh, and I DID get on the scales, (I knew I would) and I've STS, so again, all well.

Tuesday 31st January
1 Vanilla Shake
1/4 Bar (still bloated from Monday's allowances!)
100g chicken breast
200g broccoli
1 teasp. sunflower seeds
2 squares 85% choc

Last edited:
Be careful tho as I struggled to eat big portions of food when I had my 2 week break but believe me it doesn't take long for your stomach to get used to them again! By the end of my 2 week break I was easily eating much larger portions. 200g of veggies is actually a lot and low in calories and very filling. Guess that's why thin people seem to fill their plates with veggies and are more frugal with the refined carbs etc.

Yes, I've learnt a LOT from the past two days. Mainly that I'm NOT happy adding food. It's swings and roundabouts with me at the mo. One minute I'm ok with it, next I'm not. I'm going back on 100% tomorrow. I took the allowed food because I was worried about my selenium depletion. Having learnt that a teasp. of sunflower seeds will bump this up, plus a supplement, I'm heading back to the straight and narrow. Like Borders pointed out, I was able to wolf the full portion today. Still feel rather full but it's too early for me to be this loose and free with food. I'm ok with all this but tomorrow will possibly be a tough day...back to 'porridge'! Onwards and upwards!

You must do what works for you Giza, but don't be afraid to use the veggies sometimes, and then not. I did veggies about 3 times a week to start with when I first introduced them and now I have them most days. I see this as important in learning about returning to real food when I start refeeding properly. Plus it's good to give your body something to work on, digestion wise. You can't really go mad if you stick to 200g of veg. There just aren't enough calories there to throw you off track.

Some really helpful advice here and I agree with you Borders, it would be good to keep up the veggies, if only for the retraining, as you point out. I'll do that in Week 12.

Today, I'm cock-a-hoop with joy. I know I shouldn't (mustn't keep saying that, I do and I always will) but got on the scales this am and I'm down another couple of pounds. Feel great and the addition of food didn't hurt at all. I'm soooo happy!

Back to 100%
1 shake
1 bar
1 soup
1 shake
1 teasp. sunflower seeds (until supplements arrive).

Last edited:
Glad to hear you lost when upping your food but more importantly I am really happy that you feel better.
Am I being really thick here what does STS mean? I know I will kick myself but I just can't figure it out! Hehe

Hehe nightmare, BG write something on the dulcoease thread I have no idea what all the letters meant! Lol thanks Giza xx

How you doing Giza are you feeling a bit better? xx

Back