Go Lower

As Ken above said, we are getting our foods on Wednesday, had to amend it a little for my fussy self coz 'I don't do' nuts.
So my breakfast will be eggs, pity my work mates, if I am eating eggs everyday for brekky :rolleyes:

Hi Ken and Pink and welcome to the group. How are you today? I hope your excited for getting started. Ken you are totally right about it just making sense to eat like this. We are all here to help support each other and share any tips we come accross.
Pink puma I love having for my breakfast egg and bacon mushed up with some full fat mayo - yum, or scrambled eggs and some smoked fish. Xx

Hi "not so Bigbum" ;) - we're both really looking forward to getting started - hoping everything arrives tomorrow as scheduled. Sandy (or Pink Puma as she sometimes calls herself) bought a couple of new thermos flasks for us for soups today as she doesn't have a microwave or kitchen at work and I am on the road for work a lot.
We are raring to go and have that "new eating plan" flush for sure. But also we both are really determined to make this count.
It's very inspiring to see people like yourself "living the dream" and losing stones in weight at a really good rate - hope we will be inspiring others with our success soon!
Scrambled eggs sounds great to me - unfortunately Sandy is a bit fussy about her eggs and only really does boiled, fried or poached. I guess in theory any of the above is allowed on GL? I am sure she will be fine.
More soon, once we've had our delivery!
All the best,
Ken

First week and without any effort what so ever I have lost 6lb woo, woo.

Whooo-hooo! :) Absolutely delighted - both Sandy (Pink Puma above) and myself lost 6lbs in our first 3 days - couldn't ask to a better start to a diet. I know you always lose a lot at the beginning but this is unprecedented.
Actually for Sandy it's really only two days - the GoLower pack arrived Weds after she went to work so I have a half a day head start on her.
As she says it just doesn't feel like dieting - tasty meals, tasty snacks. We were dreading not liking the meals and soups after some of the comments on here and on the GoLower forum itself, but so far we've not found a bad one.
Roll on the next 6 months to get us back to the shape we used to be, and roll off the flab!!

Hi everyone. I've bought a weeks supply of 'Go Lower' off ebay, but although I know you can have some fruit and veg, milk and yoghurt, I'm not sure how much or what exactly I can have. Would anyone be able to help me out please?? If I like the food, I will definitely be getting some from the website. Sounds like it's a good diet!

Morning all. Hope you all had a good weekend.

Ken and PinkPuma, that is awesome news! Well done. How has the weekend gone? Glad you are liking the food, there are a few that havn't liked it but I think its brilliant, and to be honest a lot better than most things I can cook, I'm no Nigella!!

Hi Hidjus, I think if you go back through the posts someone posted the amounts of veg you can have in metric. I generally work to about a handful because I don't have scales. Xx

Ken and PinkPuma, that is awesome news! Well done. How has the weekend gone? Glad you are liking the food, there are a few that havn't liked it but I think its brilliant, and to be honest a lot better than most things I can cook, I'm no Nigella!!
Hi bigbum - the weekend was great, just weighed in again today at the end of our first full week, and I have lost another 3lbs. Sandy (Pink Puma) hasn't lost any more but still, that's 6lbs in a week for her which is still excellent. We only have to average about 3 1/2 lbs a week in order to hit the target of losing 1 stone per month so she's well on the way.

Given that I've got about 2 stone more to lose than her, losing 9lbs in one week is great news - that's over half way to shifting the first stone already! However, I am cycling about 7 - 12 miles 3-4 times a week as I had signed up for a charity bike ride on 6th September, so that is I am sure helping my weight loss.

So far we have liked all of the meals except the vegetarian "chickenless sticks with blue cheese sauce". Neither of us liked the vegetarian pieces (they should use quorn instead, much tastier). And I am not a huge fan of blue cheese at the best of times so we'll be asking to have that one taken off the list.

That being said, we actually didn't get a full selection as GoLower were out of some items so there are still a few things left to try - will see after week two is out of the way.

So far we think it's the best diet ever - absolutely zero hunger, no feeling of being deprived of anything, and still losing more weight than we've done before.

Only question now is if the weight loss will stay consistent, but we are determined to stick to the letter of the plan as it seems to work really well.

wow Ken & Sandy,

what a result for week 1, finger's X'd it keeps going for you. It makes such a difference to find a 'diet' that not only you enjoy but actually works for you too.

I've not been great at sticking to the plan since I came back from hols. I weighed myself this morning and I'm 4lbs heavier than I was a few weeks ago at my lowest so I'm going to psyche myself up over the next few days and get myself back on track as of next week. I know I'm on a very slippery slope and I don't want to slide any further than I have already.

so thanks Ken, Sandy & bigum for your recent posts as they've inspired me to sort myself out

cheers

marion xx

Thanks for the advice big bum, I scoured throught the threads and found what I was looking for. Been going for 3 days now, foods pretty good for packaged meals. Just having one problem. Feel incredibly bloated and uncomfortable loads of - ahem - wind! Actually had a couple of sausages tonight and a pork chop, skipped the packet meal and feel quite a bit better. Any one else had anything similar. After reading Ken's weight loss, I feel very inspired, but feel something needs a little adjusting.
xx

Woop Woop, well done on your first week Ken and Sandy, I wasn't too keen on those chickenless pieces so I just used the sauce for real chicken, much better.

Hidjus, glad you found the post, for your, ahem..little windy problem, it does pass. It is because of the increase in fibre in your diet and your belly does get used to it as you carry on. I was horrendous for the first week or so, my man wouldn't share a bed with me :( totally fine now though.

Welcome back Marion. DOn't stress about a little gain, just think to yourself that you can do this and just get back on track. We are all only human and its only a tiny gain. Xx

Wow bigbum, looks like you are nearly at your target, will have to change your title to, not so bigbum :)

:) Thanks big bum. Was getting quite worried there for a minute. It is actually a little better, don't think I could continue if it didn't! Hoping I am actually doing ok, 'cos my stomach actually feels quite big.

Morning all.

Hidjus if you are sticking to the plan then you should be doing fine. It takes your body some time to adjust to new eating habits, give it some time to settle and ask anything.

Anyone doing anything exciting this weekend? I have recently taken up golf so thats my plans. Xx

Hello Bigbum and everyone else :wavey:

I haven't been around for a while so I thought I'd better pop in to let you know what happened to me :sigh:

Basically for some strange reason I went off everything, including the ones I normally like and I coundn't face another egg :eek: So I gave up for a couple of weeks, then on Monday I went and had a chat with my doctor and he has suggested I give Xenical a go, along with a low fat diet!

I still have lots of food left so I will come back at some point and have another crack at it, but for the time being I am enjoying the change :greenapple:

So thats where I am at the moment, I can see you are all doing great, so well done, I will pop back from time to time and say hello :D

Bye for now
Karen X

Woo hoo, another 6lb down, just over a week on this fantabulous eating plan and I am nearly at a stone loss.
Just under 16 stone now, it's nice to hit a number and get it just under. :bliss:

Nearly the end of week 2 - 12 days gone and 13 lbs closer to my target. Pink Puma and myself are both well on course to lose over a stone in our first month. I'm now aiming for 2 stone in my first month.

KJ2s - sorry to hear you've given up on Go Lower and gone to the dark side - the "miracle pill" Xenecal.

Sadly most doctors still subscribe to the idea of a low fat diet and don't buy into the low carb lifestyle otherwise he might have suggested something better.

My wife was prescribed xenecal but in the end didn't take them after reading the side effects :-

From wiki "The primary side effects of the drug are gastrointestinal-related, and include steatorrhea—that is, oily, loose stools; because orlistat blocks some of the dietary fat from being absorbed, the fat is excreted unchanged in the faeces—, fecal incontinence, frequent or urgent bowel movements, and flatulence."

And the benefits? "In one-year clinical trials, between 35.5% and 54.8% of subjects achieved a 5% or greater decrease in body mass, although not all of this mass was necessarily fat. Between 16.4% and 24.8% achieved at least a 10% decrease in body mass. After xenecal was stopped, a significant number of subjects regained weight—up to 35% of the weight they had lost."

So to summarise between 51% and 68% didn't lose anything and those that did quickly regained 1/3 of the 5-10% they had lost.

Sounds like a lot of risk for very little benefit to me. :(

Bottom line is there is no miracle cure - a genuine and permanent change of lifestyle is the only long term answer.

KJ2s - sorry to hear you've given up on Go Lower and gone to the dark side - the "miracle pill" Xenecal.

Sadly most doctors still subscribe to the idea of a low fat diet and don't buy into the low carb lifestyle otherwise he might have suggested something better.

My wife was prescribed xenecal but in the end didn't take them after reading the side effects :-

From wiki "The primary side effects of the drug are gastrointestinal-related, and include steatorrhea—that is, oily, loose stools; because orlistat blocks some of the dietary fat from being absorbed, the fat is excreted unchanged in the faeces—, fecal incontinence, frequent or urgent bowel movements, and flatulence."

And the benefits? "In one-year clinical trials, between 35.5% and 54.8% of subjects achieved a 5% or greater decrease in body mass, although not all of this mass was necessarily fat. Between 16.4% and 24.8% achieved at least a 10% decrease in body mass. After xenecal was stopped, a significant number of subjects regained weight—up to 35% of the weight they had lost."

So to summarise between 51% and 68% didn't lose anything and those that did quickly regained 1/3 of the 5-10% they had lost.

Sounds like a lot of risk for very little benefit to me. :(

Bottom line is there is no miracle cure - a genuine and permanent change of lifestyle is the only long term answer.

Hi Ken,

I do agree with what you have said and he low carb eating did suit me, but at this point I just feel I just need a change, however I do love the Go Lower diet plan and like I said I have lots left so before long I will be back, ready give it my all once more :)

I am so pleased to hear of both your and Sandy's losses so far, you are both doing amazing well done :happy096:

Karen X

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

We are in this for the long haul, and with the best will in the world it will be a good 5 - 7 months before either my wife or I lose all the weight we need to, and there's no question that we will probably get bored.

As you say - often a change is as good as a rest. Good luck with yours, and getting to your ideal weight.

We got our second two week detox pack which had a much wider selection - found a second GoLower meal I don't like which is no surprise - the blue cheese and broccoli soup - I'm not a blue cheese fan at the best of times. Otherwise some very tasty dishes for variety.

I was in Amsterdam for work this week and was really proud of myself - I stuck ridigly to the plan, packed GoLower soups, granola etc, and for dinner picked a very tasty veal with egg mayo salad that was tasty, filling, and completely allowed on the plan - complete result.

Because of the trip I didn't weigh in dead on two weeks, but I just weighed in today and have lost 2lbs since last time, which means I've shed a total of 15lbs in 16 days! :)

Goodbye and good riddance to that stone of useless flab! Hello slimmer, fitter new me! :)

Back