Goal Query

MellowYellow

Hi There,

I am just back from weight watcher weigh in and i am down 2lbs, which is great and only 0.5lbs from my goal or so i thought.

My weight watchers leader told me that a BMI of 24 is not my goal and that i need to set my own lower goal.:mad:
I have been doing WW now since Jan and have lost 2 st 4lbs.
I will have to loose a further 4 or 5 lbs to reach a BMI of 23. Dont think BMI is a good goal indicator for those who are big build.
Is this target correct? Thanks everyone

I think lots of people generally set their own goal, and once you reach it you can stay within 4lbs either side of it and still get free meetings. BMI 24 is a healthy range though. I am going to be happy when I get to 25 and just see where weight loss takes me.

Aw thanks Lorny,

Just a bit dissappointed i suppose as i thought i only had half a pound to go to goal, will set a new target next week after talkin it through with Leader. Just wonder doi have to go to BMI of 23 now or can i stay slightly below the upper end of BMI 24.

I am 5ft 6in tall:

BMI of 23 = 142 lbs
BMI OF 24 = 148 lbs

Was that the goal they set you? Maybe you can just go for 142lbs then to keep them happy. ;-)

That's terrible! SW would never tell you where to set your goal! BMI is a terrible way of setting a goal (for example England Rugby players are officially obese - some morbidly) - do you have a weight range chart in your WW folder book thingy? That should give you a good range

5'6" 8st 12 to 11stone 1lb

C xx

I agree with the above, I think its great sw don't dictate your goal.

I had this problem too, my upper limit is 11 stone 12lbs, but my leader told me to set my goal lower. In the end we settled on 11 stone 7lbs, but she wasn't really happy and told me I ?would want to go lower at some stage. Then a while after, I got the flu and lost loads and ended up at 10 stone 8lbs. My weight stayed there, so she eventually made me drop my goal to 10 stone 10lbs. But I haven't been that now in months, I tend to stick to around 11 stone.

Anyway, what I am getting at is, I don't think they should push us so much in setting a goal that may be too low for us to maintain. You will know when you are happy with your weight xxx

That's terrible! SW would never tell you where to set your goal! BMI is a terrible way of setting a goal (for example England Rugby players are officially obese - some morbidly) - do you have a weight range chart in your WW folder book thingy? That should give you a good range

5'6" 8st 12 to 11stone 1lb

C xx

I think the weight range thing is based on BMI though? I'm sure the weight range they give you for your height is loosely based on healthy BMI weight ranges.

To be fair - it can be difficult for some people to get to their BMI for various reasons. However, a 'normal' healthy adult should be able to reach a healthy BMI eventually. When I say 'normal' I mean as in, not a professional athlete. It is true that professional rugby players might come in as 'obese', but they are quite an extreme example. Unless you have a very good reason for your BMI being inaccurate i.e. being a body builder, it's a difficult argument to lose.

Mellow, you sound like you've done a fantastic job already! Well done you for getting so close to goal. I think that once you get to 24, your technically in 'healthy BMI' which is a great achievement! I think they encourage you to go a little bit lower because it gives you more leeway when you go onto maintenance. Because if you're at the top end of 'healthy BMI' then a couple of lbs gained when you start eating a little bit more, would send you back into 'overweight' and as such not great for your health.

You should feel free just to make your own goals - you can take the advice as much as you want really. You know what's right for you - if you feel like you might be ok to get the extra lbs off then you can. Don't let it detract from all the hard work you've done already!!

Thank you so Much Dopey Angel for your kind words. i will talk it through next week with my leader and will have to try and shed a few more lbs :)

I have never heard any leader state this,its not good for their members,I know they like you to be BMI 24.9 thats the top healthy weight,as said 4lbs eirther way is what they state so you should be in the right bracket? My mum at her ww meeting got to BMI 24.9 and that was her goal and her gold membership weight.
If you are happy as you are and are BMI 24 say this is what you want your goal to be,your leader has no right to tell you that cant be your goal xx

ive just texted my leader and she's just echoed what size102b said - if you're in healthy weight range then your leader can't tell you you have to go lower if you are almost at your target.

totally agree with blackwidow and size102bs in ur discover folder look up the rules of membership it doesnt say u have to be at a bmi of 23 if your leader says u are required to, there should be a number for the manager for that area l know in mine there is call them if she doesnt agree to give u what u want

Update

Thought i would update you after talking with my leader at WI this evening.

My goals set by weight watchers was 10st 8.5lbs (BMI 24). The leader has agree to set my own goal at 10st 7lbs:), she was trying to encourage me to go lower, but we settled on that. Which i am happy with. I was down 1.5 today:), very surprised, as it was a bank holiday here in Ireland and i ate quite a bit.
Only 0.5 to go now to my new goal, will hopefully reach it, next week.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Back