Goal weight

Geordielass

But you can call me Elise
Hi everyone

What criteria have you used to set yourself a target weight? I've just gone for the high end of my "correct" BMI (24.5) at which time I'll weigh in at 11 stone. However, never having been able to fit into a size 8, and curious to know what that would be like (or what I would be like, perhaps), I suppose, I was thinking of changing that for a target BMI of 19 which is about 8.5 stones. Given that I still have more than that to lose to get there, it seems a bit OTT, but having now finally achieve the stone since the start of January goal, I'm in an optimistic mood (I did want to do that by end of Feb, but 8th March doesn't seem too bad!):)

I think I'm leaving the target where it is for now, I can always review it at a later date. But I'm still interested to know how you decided on your final weight goal.

I am going by healthy BMI (and I don't think 19 is a healthy BMI, correct me if I'm wrong) I have gone for the upper reaches of healthy but perhaps when I get there I might lower it...
Surely if you were 5' 7" and 8 stone you'd look like a toothpick? I'm 5' 8" and to be 8 stone I'd have to be a skeleton.

well I have set mine by my bmi
I have been at 10 stone for a few years before the arthritis got so bad I became far less active
now I want my bmi down to about 22 as that is the optimum for my joints (so I have been told by my doc)
I will be happy at any healthy BMI but going a bit lower is fine by me if it will aid my arthritis

It's all pie in the sky anyway, me getting down below 11 stone. Perhaps it is the fact that I was raised by a family of near-midgets (other than me, my mum is the next tallest woman on her side of th family at 5' exactly, which gives me the perception that 11 stone is still pretty hefty - she's still well into the obese category and is not much over that now).

18-25 BMI is the healthy range, though I believe (and I'm 169cm or 5' 6.5" tall not 5'7", you just can't use halves on here, so I rounded up) at eight and a half stone I ought to still be "healthy". Maybe I'll look at nine and a half rather than eight and a half when I get down to my current goal, if I still feel I want to go further. Seems a bit more sensible.

Shall stick to my 11 stone now though, will be amazed and gratified when I reach that!

I know exactly what you mean, all my friends are midgets and therefore only 8 or 9 stone, when I was younger I was ten or eleven stone and thought I was massive because of that when really I was the perfect weight for my height. Because I thought I was huge I acted huge and ate everything ion front of me which is what has got me into this mess! We CAN do this, so lets get on with it!

My target weight is based purely on the lowest weight I've been as an adult. It works out at roughtly 12 and a half stone, which at 5 foot 3, is still way over my ideal BMI.
When I look back at pictures of myself at that weight, I realise how much more comfortable I was in my own skin, but i just didn't appreciate it, or sustain it long enough to enjoy it! At the time, I was wearing size 16-18 but I still wasn't happy because I wanted to fit into the clothes in ANY shop, not just the ones with a wider range of sizes.
Now I'd give anything to be back at that weight, and just hope I can do it this time, for the final time, and that I'll manage to maintain that weight or an ever lower one for more than a coupple of months!

Interestingly, by ideal weight should be between 8.5 and 10.5 stone - I really can't imagine myself at that weight, but who knows? Maybe one day! For the moment, I'm just focussing on getting back to my 'happy weight' and then I'll have another think and adjust my targets it I need to.

Ive gone by the BMI chart and what's considered a healthy weight for my height.

Also I think I need to be in and around that to be considered for a breast reduction

My target weight is based purely on the lowest weight I've been as an adult. It works out at roughtly 12 and a half stone, which at 5 foot 3, is still way over my ideal BMI.
When I look back at pictures of myself at that weight, I realise how much more comfortable I was in my own skin, but i just didn't appreciate it, or sustain it long enough to enjoy it! At the time, I was wearing size 16-18 but I still wasn't happy because I wanted to fit into the clothes in ANY shop, not just the ones with a wider range of sizes.
Now I'd give anything to be back at that weight, and just hope I can do it this time, for the final time, and that I'll manage to maintain that weight or an ever lower one for more than a coupple of months!

Interestingly, by ideal weight should be between 8.5 and 10.5 stone - I really can't imagine myself at that weight, but who knows? Maybe one day! For the moment, I'm just focussing on getting back to my 'happy weight' and then I'll have another think and adjust my targets it I need to.

The average size in this country is 14-16, I believe, it still amazes me that some high street stores don't stock anything above a size 16 (though I have noticed that is fewer now, many more go up to 18 these days - I'm currently 18-20, so am looking forward to getting another stone off and being able to go into most shops I like for clothes. Actually I'm a 16-22, if I'm honest, I'm so oddly shaped that I'm a 16-18 on the waist, 18-20 on the bust and 20-22 on the hips and thighs. It makes shopping anywhere for anything a nightmare - I'm VERY pearshaped, but I also carry an awful lot of weight on my upper arms, so have to buy everything with a long or 3/4 sleeve and try to always get it in a stretchy material. Shopping, as a Geordie lass, particularly, is something that is a pleasure (if you've every been/go to Newcastle at about 2pm on a Saturday you'll understand the comments about Geordie women and shopping - or for that matter the Metro centre) but also a pain, because of this.

when i was about 18/19 i was a lovely (to me anyway) around 70kg (not sure exactly what that converts to.. But i was a size 12 australian (they are slightly smaller than here in the uk) so to be that size again would be lovely... Or even get down to a size smaller.... Ooohhhh size 10!! That would be brilliant!!!!
I can only dream!!!

I have set my goal weight according to the bmi charts. So to get a bmi of 25 (top of the 'healthy range') I need to be 10st 10lbs so I am aiming for that first.
After that I may possibly lose another stone,so getting down to 9st 10lbs with a bmi of 23.
I have a loooooong way to go before that happens though!
Claire x

Back