God Awful Sunday Dinner!

I had this same problem before I moved in with my BF. I used to stay over on the weekends at his house and his mum would insist on cooking a sunday roast. Salty tinned carrots, mashed potato full of butter, roasters that looked like they'd been deep fried. The THICK gravy used to have a layer of oil on the top, no joke, it was like a blanket covering the food.

I admit, roasters in oil are gorgeous but there are times when things are just TOO rich, like oily chinese food and stuff. This is part of the reason why I was never able to stick to SW properly, I always had to flexi-syn on sundays.

My nan used to make gravy using meat juices and LARD! You'd get a layer of white on top of your gravy if you left it to cool enough! Lard should be banned in my opinion.
I know I'm just going to have to put up with it all, there's no way is it worth her knowing what I really think about her cooking lol

I miss my mums sunday dinners :(
Can relate to you though. I used to have lunch at an ex partners parents house every other weekend and I used to hate it. I wasn't on SW at the time obviously LOL. I love real gravy and his dad would make it with just hot water and an oxo cube!

I must admit that I do like my veg cooked. My O/H likes them a bit hard and usually moans about mine but I tell him the cook cooks the dinner to how she like it, you want it different, the kitchens thata way hun. No complaints for ages now.

You cann't please everybody so sometimes you just have to please yourself and the others just have to put up with it lol.

Awwww I feel for you. Luckily, my Mum makes the bestest Sunday roast ever *looks sternly at those who look likely to argue this point lol* but it's deadly syn-tastic so only have as a treat these days.

My OH's Mum is a great cook, but she seems to think I don't eat meat much. I said to her early on that I tend to eat more white meat as I was told by docs to cut back on red meat...anyway...she always apologises if it's beef or lamb despite me always saying I just tend to eat more white (I actually LOVE red meat lol).

Bless her heart - she's so lovely x

I miss my mums sunday dinners :(
Can relate to you though. I used to have lunch at an ex partners parents house every other weekend and I used to hate it. I wasn't on SW at the time obviously LOL. I love real gravy and his dad would make it with just hot water and an oxo cube!

Sorry hun thats not gravy thats nats p**s stock lol

My boyfriend makes gorgeous potatoes. Any kind, without using oil, butter, milk, anything. Just frylight on the roasts and chips.
He has a gift.

Back