Going back to eating regularly after a VLCD

Can anybody give me a few pointers on how easy/difficult it was and how they managed it?

I ask because I have a few friends who have done VLCDs (Lighter Life), and lost a substantial amount of weight. One in particular lost 4 stone over 4 months, but the second she went back to regular food it slowly crept back on, and this is what scares me about giving them a try.

I think most of us here aren't at that stage yet, you'd be better off nipping into the LL, CD or LT maintainers forums (they all have them) and asking them.

All the reputable VLCD companies seem to have some sort of structured refeed plan in place, even though they differ in length and other aspects.

If you pop into the Exante bit you will see that we have recently been discussing this and similar related topics.

I think at the end of the day you have to consider that you may never be able to go back to what you currently consider to be "normal" eating, cos if you do of course you will go right back to how you were when you started, that's how you got there in the first place!

In contrast to your friend I know 2 people who have reached goal with LL and both are maintaining very nicely thankyou despite some enormous stresses in their lives at present.

It seems to be very important that at the end of your VLCD you reintroduce food in a structured fashion and monitor its effect on you. Can't tell you the best way to do this cos as I said I'm not there yet, but there is a load of info elsewhere on this forum from people who have lost and maintained, as well as from those who have lost and regained. The second group is just as important to listen to as the first, they can give valuable insight into why they weren't able to maintain sometimes.

Been wondering about this too but...I'm no where near that stage so could just be obsessing about food! I know a few people that lost alot thru cambridge diet and only one out of the 4 has put weight back on (and only a minimal amount- 8/10lbs) so it can be done :)

Hi,
I succesfully lost 3 stone on CD, then thought i had cracked it and instead of working up the steps reintroducing food slowly, I went back to 'normal' eating :cry: and have since put 2 stone back on :cry:

Now i am back again determined to get to where i was this time last year ;) and hindsight is a wonderful thing, i KNOW i must follow the maintenance 100%, losing the weight is the easy bit, addressing your food issues and controling your habits for the long term is the hard work :cool:

But for once in my life I know what its like to be able to walk into any shop and buy of the rails :D and i want that back !!!

Good luck with your journey whatever you decide :flirt2:

Hi

I did LL about 5 yrs ago lost 4 stone 8lb in 16 weeks then just packed in. If you stay disciplined then you can maintain but I went crazy, old habits crept back and I ate carb city and gained all my weight back, it took about 2 yrs to gain all of it but I did ww and SW during those 2 yrs to help keep it off. Maybe look into a southbeach/Atkins style of eating ie low carbs and hopefully you will do well.

Good luck

Just remember to choose yr food well and portion control and you will be fine!:flirt2:

lol yep know what u mean about eating everything you used to and piling the weight back on! seems maintenance is not just there to con you out of money lol! just cant do it on your own!

I lost 4 stone in 4 months of CD in 2007. Maintained for 9 month then put 2 stone back on. Lost 1.5 stones of it on LT before my wedding Dec 2008 and now we are in April 2010, I dont know what I weigh because Im scared to see those numbers but Im pretty sure Im now 2.5 stones heavier than my lightest on CD.

Reason why I gained? 1st time was because I was going through a difficult time at work. 2nd time? Because I had the worst year of my life where everything seemed to go wrong and I sought comfort in food. Now Im on my third VLCD journey using Exante and Ive learnt the very hard way that maintaining for life is not easy and takes even more courage than sticking to a VLCD in the first place.

Back