Going it alone....

He's at Salford Uni, I think the first years on his course have been split into two groups and he's in group B. According to him Group B is full of slackers lol Everyone leaves their coursework until the last minute and lecturers keep sending them home hours early. I suppose the main part of the learning for nursing comes from the placements and being hands-on, especially when working within Mental Health :)

He's not too keen on the uniform he's been given to wear on the wards, grey polo shirt and grey trousers with sewn in creases down the front of the trouser legs - bit dreary! And he had to lop off his long mosher hair 'cause he wouldn't wear it in a bun. I hardly recognise him lol

Aww bless that's quite a transformation for him then! Ive had to remove some facial piercings and be mindful of my hair colour lol. None of us have been issued with uniforms, and we have been told that as a rule we won't be given any in MH. sometimes I wish they would as finding something totally appropriate to wear its always easy. Plus there is the issue of cross contamination in all fields of health care :/

Our first year has been foundation nursing. So it's been all 4 fields of nurses being taught together. There has been some benefits from this as we are able to consider all aspects of patient health, not just within our own discipline. Often MH issues are caused by an underlying physical illness that has been undetected, also we will need to work with children, so learning the principles of child nursing is useful. On the flip side this often means sitting in lectures with 200+ students, and yeah, there are a fair few slackers! Lol

I've found the majority of the theory we are taught useful, general stuff about communication, empathy + dignity, capacity, consent, the law etc, but there are some lectures when I can't link the theory to a real experience.

Xxx

I think the uniform is just for being on the wards, especially the dementia units just so the patients can easily identify the staff. For a lot of it though they are just meant to be smart casual as it keeps things between nurses and patients more 'equal' I think? Also people don't like home visits from nurses with 'Manchester Mental Health' emblazoned across their chests incase any curtain twitcher neighbours clock it and cause them problems :sigh:

It all sounds so interesting and such a rewarding job. I wish it was for me but I think I wouldn't be very good at keeping work and homelife separate, I get too emotionally involved. Plus being a patient already (albeit just for medication reviews right now) it would be weird being the helper and not the sufferer :eek:

Are you going to do some lunchbox ideas practise over the weekend to help you get prepared for your placement? x

Yes that's exactly right re: uniforms. To prevent the patient/ care giver divide. I have been and from time to time continue to be a sufferer myself. I now feel like I'm in a place where I can help people with empathy and compassion. The amount of stigma surrounding mental health is something I take personally, and I believe with the right attitude and enough hard work it can be improved.

We have been making extra when cooking curries, soups that kind of thing and freezing them so I can take them to work. I keep reading the what's for lunch thread. I've got plenty of pasta, couscous, mug shots, ryvita that kind of thing. I'm going to be as organised as possible, and I can rely on sushi and stuff of I get caught short.

I'm getting nervous now. More so about juggling my life whilst doing shifts, than the work itself. I miss the children terribly and not being a constant part of their school life and play is difficult. Just keeping the end goal in sight. Just like with my eating really :) have had another 100% day, so feeling positive :) xxx

Sounds like you're properly kitted out for lunches then and the sushi is probably a good Plan B. Subway is another good option if there's one near where you'll be working - they know me so well now in the one I go to they always go mad and stuff my salad bowls with tonnes of veggies. It was a bit of a shock when I went to a different one in town instead and the stingy people only half-filled the bowl, I was crestfallen lol

It must be hard coping with the shifts with three kids :sigh: As you say, keep the end goal in mind and also make the most of each day as it comes :) xxx

I've not posted the last few days as I e been so busy preparing for being back at work. I've struggled a bit in the evenings with sweet cravings but have managed to stay within syns. Was a bit annoyed this morning. Had some LMc sausages thinking they were the red onion and rosemary ones but they were the normal vegetarian ones. Does anyone know the syns on these? Are they high? Hope not.

I made a big sweet potato and spinach frittata today. It's made 6 portions, each being a hex a. Will be great with salads on the ward. Also roasted a huge ham joint today. It's 3.5 kilos and is absolutely gorgeous. Can have ham salads as well.

Weigh in tomorrow. I feel like I Have lost, but after having sneaky peaks o. The scales thought the week it's looking like a gain! Hope it's wrong. I don't deserve a gain :( xxx

I looked the sausages up for you - chilled ones 1.5 syns each, frozen are 2 syns each :( Apparently the free ones should be frozen, I keep looking out for them, I've seen ones with red onion in the picture but not in the food name so I'm having to not bother. Though there's supposed to be syn free frozen quorn sausages available exclusively at sainsburys, according to an ad in the latest sw mag so they might be okay if you can find them :)

The frittata sounds lovely - can you post the recipe please? :D
Good luck for WI tomorrow, just see how it goes and if it's a disappointment we can all have a think what you could try in the next week xxx

P.S Hope the first day of your placement goes well x

:( major wtf moment :(

My scales are showing a 6lb gain!!!! I'm really upset. I've tried really hard this week. Not due on, have eaten a ton of speed food and Superfree. The only difference is Ive tried using more syns.

Maybe it's last week catchin up with me as I deserved more than 1lb gain. I don't Feel my scales are that reliable as it is as they change each time I step on and off them and I end up having to go with the average :/

I think I'm going to have to write down everything that crosses my lips. Won't let this spoil my day, need to feel confident and positive today.

Breakfast: 35g Porridge (hexB), made with 1/2 ss milk and 1/2 water, blueberries, half a banana and an apple.

Cry cry cry :( weight now 17st 8lb.

Aww crap you definitely didn't deserve 6lb on this week :(

I don't know what to say about the syns, I hope it wasn't down to that since I suggested you try using more :(
Definitely try writing everything down this week - I track things in the notepad on my phone during the day then write stuff up properly in the evening. Do you feel heavy/bloated at all? Water retention could be playing a part in it given how hot it's been lately - try aiming to glug at least 1.5/2 litres of water or non-caffeinated drinks a day as it might help. I'd probably try and invest in some new scales too as if they're giving different readings all the time they're probably unreliable.

What ever you do hun keep going, no giving up :bighug: xxxxx

Well it hacked me off to say the least, but I am definitely retaining water and not drinking enough! After 8 hours on the ward today I've got some super sexy sock indentations on my ankles :/ I've eaten really well though. After y breakfast I didn't get time to stop til 1:30 and had:

Lunch: lettuce, spinach, cucumber, peppers, tomato, a little potato salad (jersey royals, raw cauli, red onion, boiled egg, Nat yogurt, 1 tbsp ex light mayo)(1/2 syn) With some frittata (hex A)

Snack: apple, strawberries, watermelon.

Dinner: lentil Dahl made by the other half syn free and DELISH with rice.

6 syns of SS milk in coffees and porridge.

So I've had my hexa hexB and 6.5 syns.
I'm realising how often I miss out one of the hex's which won't help me lose weight. I don't think my gain is because you suggested I used more syns. In fact I think it's helped as I feel less deprived. I had considered thismorning 'consoling' myself with chocolate tonight, but I'm more determined now.

I'm on and early shift tomorrow, so gotta be up at 5am!!! So very out of order, it's the middle of the night! Haha Got tomorrow's lunch made in the fridge to take with me. Onwards and upwards :D

I'm glad you've turned the frustration into determination instead of caving in to the chocolate monster :) I was proper gutted ('scuse the commoner speech !) for you this morning :(

Definitely up the water then to help with those ankles. I take some herbal water retention tablets from holland and barrett when mine get really bad. You can also try lying down with your legs up against a wall for 5-10 mins every night to take the pressure off them - I just read somewhere that it's good for destressing combined with some deep breathing too so it might do you double the good after long days walking up and down the wards :)

Hope the early start isn't too painful - I couldn't do a 5am start :eek: xxx

Writing this on my break. I'm on a late shift today. I'm not finding time to update my diary, but I am doing great.

Still need to be drinking more tho, and water not coffee lol xx

Get that water down you missus lol

How's the shiftwork going? x

It's harsh, but I am love love LOVING it! Staff are lovely with me (makes all the difference) patients are very unwell but I'm doing great. On a late again today, on til 9pm. On an early tomorrow so up at 5am again. It's taking an age to wind down after a late, so how I will cope I don't know haha.

I've had some low fat super noodles, joes sausage and beans for brunch, then a banana. I needed something naughty and it was syn free, just not enough Superfree really.

Have brought dinner: 4 ryvita, tuna with ex light mayo, beet root and cucumber. Also a box of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. An activist fat free yog and apple. Oh and a massive bottle of water :)

My scales are rubbish. Tuesday morning I got on them again and it said I'd lost 7lb in one day!?!?xxx

Your scales are barmy lol Get them replaced as soon as poss or go weigh yourself in a boots or something.

Maybe you could try camomile tea to help calm you down in the evenings? The twinings camomile and honey/camomile and maple are really nice :)

I can't stomach the stuff. I've tried. I'm a long suffering insomniac and have resigned myself to it, however tonight I think I will be sparko by 8pm!

Was on an early today. What a shift it was! Started at 7 and worked til 3. Don't get chance to have a break. I had weetabix and banana at 5am and nothing else until just now. I made Moroccan couscous with ex lean mince beef. It was DELISH. I'm now enjoying a gin and slim....or 4! Weekend off! Yeyness :D

A swimming pool of gin, yay! That would knock you out for the night lol

Your couscous sounds really tasty :drool: Hope you're enjoying the work-free weekend :D xx

Oh yes please to the swimming pool off gin hahaha!

Well yesterday's weigh in showed a loss of 9lb again! I did work super hard at it, but it's a shame I feel like I can't trust my scales.

I do feel that so log as its going down I am doing ok, so my new weight is 16st 13lb...11lb off in 4 weeks :)

Today whilst grocery shopping (after a full shift and only had time to eat 4 crab sticks and a mug shot) I picked up a large bar of chocolate with the intention of stuffing it in on the drive home. Felt like I was trembling and it was almost like panic. Before loading the shopping at the till I put the chocolate back!! This is a massive achievement for me.

I came straight home, put shopping away and had joes sausage, mash, cabbage and broccoli. I've been fighting the chocolate urge tonight but have had strawberries blueberries with yogurt and 2 crushed mini meringues. Yum! Hit the spot! I know I could use some syns for chocolate but its the uncontrolled binge I was wanting at the time. So glad I didn't, I don't miss the self loathing xxx

Hi, was just reading your bit about the chocolate bar, I do exactly the same thing! But now I do it on purpose! My theory is that I will get good practice at putting those things that make me unhappy back, short term pain, long term gain. There's the added bonus of a bit of excitement at the supermarket when the desired choccie bar goes into my basket and the feeling of strength when I put it back at the end. The other thing I do is talk to food on the shelves! I say things like 'look I really would like to take you home but I would rather get into my size 12 shorts in time for my holiday and you are not going to help so you can stay on the shelf.' I sound completely mad I know but I don't say it out loud, cause that would be nuts!

Back