Going it alone....

Flicktheswitch!

Hi I'm Alison, I'm starting slimming world plan today but alone.

I've been a paying member many times, but 6 years ago I joined and lost 9.5 stone. I was over 21 stone to begin with.

Since then my life has changed massively. My marriage broke Down due to my husband having several affairs, I became a lone parent of 3 young children, we relocate 140 miles away, I have become a student nurse, and have met someone lovely who now lives with me and the children.

I have regained over 5 Stone of what I lost :(

I have made so many attempts to lose the weight and have failed. I found a local SW group, bought a countdown and only went twice. My old group was fantastic, so warm and friendly, but this new one wasn't so. I didn't feel supported and felt disappointed in myself. I found this group and have become full of hope. I know I can do this, I just need a little support.

Right now, nothing fits, I have constant head aches, my bras are so tight I'm in pain with it. It's affecting my relationship. I've had enough!

So here we go... Monday 20th May 2013...17 stone 10 :,(

So far today, I've had two large glasses of water, a coffee and fruit tea.

For lunch I've had super speed soup, I will post the recipe here so I don't lose it.

1 onion
3 carrots
4 celery sticks
1 tin cannellini beans
1 tin mixed beans
1 tin baked beans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 carton of passatta
Beef stock cube
Veggie stock cube
Salt and pepper
One large red chilli
Few handfuls of red lentils

Basically all bunged in pot and simmered for an hour or so.

This was really nice. I missed the bread but that's life eh? Lol

Welcome back to SW :) Good luck with you mission, sure you can lose that 5 stone easily :)

Thanks Ally, I hope so. I just need a little encouragement and support with it I think. Struggling with weightless can be so isolating cant it x

Yeah it can, plenty of people on here who can help you along and support you when you need it :)

Hi Alison,
I too am going it alone this time. Having lost nearly 4 stone, I have regained 1.5 stone and want to get it off again. But due to living in the middle of nowhere it is difficult to get to a group! Today is also day 1 for me of re-start, maybe we can encourage and help each other along :)
xx

Hi Lizzie, that's a great idea!

How are you finding your first day back on plan? What meals have you had? I will look for your diary. I made super speed soup for lunch and made slow braised steak with mash carrots and broccoli. I've had loads of fluids, no fruit as yet though. I found myself getting irritable earlier because I had sugar cravings. Been eating too much cake for too long lol xx

Ok end of day 1 so Far so good.

Breakfast: coffee (was a nightmare Monday morning with all 3 kids in a strop)
Lunch: super speed soup.
Dinner: braised beef (beef, 1 knorr stock pot, celery, carrots, onions, bay leaves and seasoning) with a side of mashed potato (made with mayo lite) carrots and cauliflower.
Snacks: 2 kiwis, blueberries, shape 0% yogurt.
HES: a: milk b: none today :/

Hi Alison! Well done on starting your journey - you've done it before so I'm sure you're more than capable of doing it again, and I'm sure you'll find everyone here just as supportive as if you were going to a group :) Sounds like you've made a good start with your food so far. If you're getting cake cravings I can recommend trying one of the many Scan Bran Cake recipes that are out there - it's not quite a victoria sponge but it really helps with the sweet cravings! If you need any help with anything just ask, all the best, Nicola x

Thanks Nicola :) I have a recipe for a half syn cake... It sounds more like a sweet omelette but I'm going to give it a try. Are scan bran available from anywhere other than class do you know?

Roll on weigh day, I know it gets easier after that first week for me xx

Is that the half syn roulade? I haven't tried it yet but everyone raves about it! :) You can get Scan Bran from Holland & Barrett too. You'll get through this first week just fine - I'm the opposite, first week is easy for me while my motivation is high and everything's new and exciting, but the weeks after seem so much harder for me once the novelty's worn off - funny how we all have different reactions! :) x

Hi Alison,
Haven't had a chance to start a diary yet, but I think I will.
Day 2 now and so far so good - today is looking like this -
B - 2 Aldi cereal bars (H EX B) and apple
L - Left over chicken curry and rice from last night - all free and onions, peppers, mushrooms and tinned toms in curry to make up 1/3 superfree
Dinner tonight - Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and cheese (7 syns for cheese) with chips and sf veg.

What are you having today?

Think the only way for me now is one day at a time.

I am already worrying about the weekend though - Friday we are having a chinese with friends, Saturday going to a bbq and Sunday having a day/night out. Not too worried about the food as I know there is so much to have on this plan, but worried about the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed across the weekend! Any recommendations for low syn alcoholic drinks?!!!
xx

The best low syn drinks are spirits with low calorie mixers - so vodka & diet coke, gin & slimline tonic, rum & diet coke - if 25ml measures these are all 2.5 syns - but watch out as a lot of pubs are 35ml measures these days, in which case you need to count 4 for each. It's not the most fun, but try having a soft drink between each alcoholic one to pace yourself? x

I drink gin and slim. Alcohol is my down fall too. My partner is a musician and it kinda comes with the territory.

For Chinese I would order a chicken chop suey and boiled rice, or chow mein. For the BBQ I would bring along some turkey and apple patties ( turkey mince, onion chopped small, apples grated, salt pepper and whatever dry herbs you like... Mix it well with hands and form into burger shapes. These are GORGEOUS)

Today I've had a bit of a strange day. Eldest spawn was having a flap about going to school so spent ages speaking with school staff about the possibility of her being bullied. I honestly think the girls in her class are at that hormonal catty age, and she's a bit sensitive to it all :/ kids!!

Anyway I would have come home and had breakfast after school run, but this took so long, so I went grocery shopig and didn't get breakfast til 11.30. I've not stopped!

Breakfast: magic pancakes (FIT!!!!) hexB with fat free Greek yogurt, blueberries and strawberries. Omigosh these were amazing!!

Lunch: it's 4pm and I'm having a small bowl of super speed soup as I won't be having dinner until really late...docs appointment.

Dinner: I'm making Katsu Chicken curry. Will post the recipe.

Snacks: 2 kiwis, apple.

Chicken Katsu Curry
Serves 4

Extra Easy: FREE
Add 6 Syns if not using Wholemeal bread as a Healthy Extra on Extra Easy.

Print recipe

ingredients

For the chicken4 skinless chicken breasts, 240g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs, 1 egg, beaten, Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the curry sauce 1 large onion, chopped 1 courgette, chopped 2 carrots, chopped 4 cloves of garlic, crushed 1 tsp fresh ginger 1 tsp turmeric 2 tsp cumin 2 tsp coriander 1 tsp chilli powder 1 tbsp sweetener 1 tbsp soy sauce 1 litre chicken stock 1 bay leaf 1 tbsp fat free fromage frais Low calorie cooking spray

method

1. Spray a large heavy-based saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is softened. Add the carrots and courgette and lightly fry for a further 4-5 minutes. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, chilli powder and sweetener and evenly coat the vegetables. Add the stock, soy sauce and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

2. While the sauce is cooking, preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Season the breadcrumbs with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place each chicken breast in some clingfilm and flatten with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser. Remove the clingfilm and dip the chicken in the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray sprayed with low-calorie cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

3. For the sauce remove the bay leaf and pour the contents of the saucepan into a blender. Blitz until it becomes a thick, smooth sauce and stir in the fromage frais.

4. To serve slice the chicken breast into pieces, spoon over the curry sauce and serve with steamed jasmine rice.

Another of the children has got a friend here for tea and my 3rd child is at her friends for tea....who am I again? Hahahaha xx

Last edited:
Hi Alison,
Haven't had a chance to start a diary yet, but I think I will.
Day 2 now and so far so good - today is looking like this -
B - 2 Aldi cereal bars (H EX B) and apple
L - Left over chicken curry and rice from last night - all free and onions, peppers, mushrooms and tinned toms in curry to make up 1/3 superfree
Dinner tonight - Chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and cheese (7 syns for cheese) with chips and sf veg.

What are you having today?

Think the only way for me now is one day at a time.

I am already worrying about the weekend though - Friday we are having a chinese with friends, Saturday going to a bbq and Sunday having a day/night out. Not too worried about the food as I know there is so much to have on this plan, but worried about the amount of alcohol likely to be consumed across the weekend! Any recommendations for low syn alcoholic drinks?!!!
xx

Looks like a good days food there Lizzie :) high 5 to us!! I've not exercised though :/ haven't had time xx

Is that the half syn roulade? I haven't tried it yet but everyone raves about it! :) You can get Scan Bran from Holland & Barrett too. You'll get through this first week just fine - I'm the opposite, first week is easy for me while my motivation is high and everything's new and exciting, but the weeks after seem so much harder for me once the novelty's worn off - funny how we all have different reactions! :) x

Yes that's the one I'm meaning! After trying the magic pancakes today I'm will to give anything a go as I didn't expect much joy from them and they were amazing!

I think I've done slimming world for so many years now that I don't really find t that different anymore. Even when off plan most of thefamily meals I cook are EE friendly...it's everything I stuff down my neck between meals that's the problem haha xx

Is that the one from the Taste of Asia book? Might have to bookmark it as my next new meal! :)

I'm not sure, I've not seen the book. I found the recipe in the archive of a group on a social networking site. I've posted the recipe above. Was well worth the effort x

What a CRAZY DAY!

I made an online order to joesausage. Lots of syn free sausages and burgers etc. I got up first thing to a courier delivering £300 worth of meat!?! Huh? I only paid for £31 of it! Then I got the kids in the car for school, drove off the drive and *ping* something fell off underneath the (new) car!!! :( Then we get to school and its all fenced off... There was a deer in the playground!

Mad as ya like. Anyway, nothing has gone to plan, and this would often be an excuse to eat something high calorie and think sod it. Stupid isn't it? As if that would help anything! However I'm really please with myself. I made a SW cooked breakfast :)

Breakfast: Linda mc cartney sausage, bacon, eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, 2 slices of whole meal toast (from small loaf) = hex B 0 syns!!!

I'm stuffed yet still feel positive :)

Now to shift this meat and get car sorted xx

Back