going it alone?

asbo

i am not getting anything out of class what so ever, i am sticking to my eating plan 100% but either staying the same or like last week i lost 0.5lb on class scales, yet on the boot scales i weight myself on same time every week i had lost 3lbs, and its the same every week, i hardly lose anything,gain or stay the same at class but lose at least a 1lb at boots:confused:
dont really feel like i am getting any help offered to me at class either and its the only 1 i can get to so am thinking of doing it alone and wondered who else does?

Hiya asbo. I am doing the plan without going to class at the moment. I had to leave my group but have struggled to lose ever since. I find group is a social experience and the tips from other members can help keep me on track.

If you really feel group isnt for you then try it alone for a few weeks. You are allowed a certain amount of time for holidays so you can always return if you find it harder on your own than you thought.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more xxxx

hi i know what you mean about the scales i got weighed at the doctors then later that day at class i was 6lb lighter on the doctors scales but only lost 1lb at sw lol who knows which ones are right . i agree with panda girl though if i dont go to class i dont loose anything ,but this is the third time ive joined and the first time i lost 3 stone after i left managed to keep it off for a year but didnt loose any more untill i rejoined even though i was still following the plan weird or what good luck anyway x

Hi i went it alone and have put most of it back on now. I would do ok till lunch then all i ever used o say was oh i will start again tomorrow but tomorrow never came. Im off back to class tonight, by all means give it a try but its hard x

Hiya asbo,

Maybe I'm being a bit daft (it is Bank Holiday Monday after all), but are you always showing to have lost weight on the Boots scales, and not on the SW scales? This must mean your weight is getting lower and lower according to Boots, but staying completely the same at SW?

If you don't feel you're getting anything from the classes, then it seems you're basically going it alone anyway... However, if you're also not really losing weight (but that depends on above), I'm not sure it's time to leave class until you are losing weight on the plan.

I know you say you're following it 100%, but I'm sure I (and a lot of the rest of us) have thought that sometimes and been quite wrong! Have you thought about posting a food diary - if oyu do go it alone, it will probably help you if you're using this forum, and we might be able to spot any reason you're not losing weight.

Sorry you're not having a good time!

Hiya

I lost over 3 stone last year through going to class and reached my target.

Thought I could maintain at home! I clearly couldn't and have put back on 1 stone - not as much as it could be I know, but it proves to me that I can't do it on my own. I have to have the support of class and also that weekly weigh in to focus on.

It does help if you go to a great class, and I do. My consultant is fantastic and I look forward to going each week.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks everyone.

i do keep a food diary, not been asked at class to show it to see if i am going wrong though.
i have 1 week where i stayed the same on the boots scales which is the week i gained at class, the rest of the time i have lost at boots but stayed the same or small loss at class.

typical day[yesterday]
am:
2 slices wholemeal nimble toast with teaspoon flora light
small glass tropicana orange juice
3 dates
lunch: salad with toms/carrot/cucumber/spring onions
water
skinny cow hot choc with water [ skinny cow syned]
grapes
pm:
dry fried chicken strips with salad
diet coke
water
alpin bar[low cal one]

snacks:
grapes, banana,diet coke,kiwis,baby bell light[1]

i know i am capable to do it alone, i used to be a fitness instructor and teach martial arts and i know what i should be doing and how to do it, i just thought going to class would give me a extra boost and support, but feel kind of alone really.

You have to do what's right for you Asbo, if you feel like you aren't getting any benefit from class then don't go.

I like many others have tried doing it on my own, but because I knew I didn't have to get weighed at a class everyweek the only person I was answerable to, was me, so I kind of crashed and burned, eat a few more syns here, a few things off plan there and before I knew it I wasn't follwing any SW principles at all and put weight on.

But it's all about personal choice, I know some people who don't go class and are self disciplined enough to do it at home, and they have been just as successful as class members :)

Good luck with whatever you decide ;)

i just thought going to class would give me a extra boost and support, but feel kind of alone really.

Oh hun you are certainly not alone! It can feel like that though when the class scales aren't showing your hard efforts and others are losing huge amounts week in/week out.

What is your class like? Is everyone friendly? What about the consultant?

Hiya,
I am going it alone aswell! Partly because i cant afford to go to class (im a student) and also that i get nervous very easily but i seem to be doing ok at home. Lost a fair bit but it is harder to be strict on yourself or have the attitude of 'i can always start again tomorrow'... i kind of have some inspiration around the house like my hoilday clothes or old photos etc. so anyway, if u need any support, feel free to PM me as im in the same boat!x

thanks for that:)

class is friendly, consultant is nice, but i just feel like another number tbh, not sure what i expected lol.

i do a food diary every day as while i am at college and have exams coming up i can totally forget what i eat unless i write it down, i do my syns as a weekly block so i can take them off in advance, makes it easy for me to see what i am doing lol.

i dont want to stop doing the SW way of eating as i enjoy it and dont feel like i am missing out, just dont feel like i am getting much out of class:sigh:

:hug99: I guess if you feel like just another number then maybe you would be happier doing it alone... however do you feel like you can talk to your consultant first? They may be totally oblivious to how you are feeling but could help more if they knew. How many weeks have you been going?

Unfortunately I can't help much with you not enjoying class - it seems to be a very personal thing and quite particular to each individual.

However, about the scales - it sounds like there's a slight difference (ie. Boots are lower than your SW meeting scales) and the rounding is possibly slightly different too which will explain why one shows a loss and the other STS.

Overall, if you lose 2 stone (for example), whether SW shows 1 stone 12 lbs or Boots shows 2 stone 1 lb, does it really make a difference? Whatever the exact amount the scales show, it'll still be around 2 stone less!

I think that if you're re-weighing yourself on other scales it's because you don't believe in SW and maybe that's part of the problem. I also know a lot of people get frustrated by the slow losses SW brings, but it is better for you and I find I can keep weight like that off - if I 'crash diet', it goes straight back on!

Whatever you decide, keep at it - the weight didn't go on in a couple of weeks, so it won't come off on that timeframe either (although I wish it would!)... Good luck, and everyone is here to help if you decide to leave the classes.

I don't go to class asbo and when I'm on track it's fine ~ I could not do without the support of this forum though. I also love the SW magazine. I've had a few up and down weeks but that is due to having a lot of things on ~ weddings, nites away, lots of meals out. I believe that it is different strokes for different folks ~ good luck with whatever you decide, xx

Hi Asbo,

I too am going it alone! If you think you have the willpower, then go for it. Personally, I don't feel the need to pay someone each week, when I can weigh myself at home! I guess for some it provides the extra motivation to stick to the plan. I find there is lots of extra support on here, and good tips/recipes, etc. So I tend to come on here most days and I think that helps to keep me focused. Good luck whatever you decide!

I have done better going it alone than I did at class. Maybe because I am only accountable to me that makes the difference and everyone has to find what suits them. I do subscribe to bodyoptimise so that I can get syn values etc and use an online food diary and don't miss going to class at all.
I hope you find the method that suits you :)

thanks guys, your all great:D

got all my books here with food ideas etc, was thinking trying a few weeks on my own as i cant get to class due to needing to study for the next few weeks after tonight, so will do a trial run and see how i do, if i cant do it alone then i will re assess and go from there:D

You go girl! Lets start a study and slim club lol I miss the study muchies but hey ho! best of luck hun! xx

typical day[yesterday]
am:
2 slices wholemeal nimble toast with teaspoon flora light
small glass tropicana orange juice
3 dates
lunch: salad with toms/carrot/cucumber/spring onions
water
skinny cow hot choc with water [ skinny cow syned]
grapes
pm:
dry fried chicken strips with salad
diet coke
water
alpin bar[low cal one]

snacks:
grapes, banana,diet coke,kiwis,baby bell light[1]

If that's a typical red day, I'd say you're not having all your healthy extras and not eating much free food (the only meat you had was the chicken) so maybe you're not eating enough and your body is going into starvation mode. Also, are you counting all your syns because flora light, orange juice and dates are syns. If the alpen light bar was your other healthy extra, you should have two of them. If the babybel was your hex A, you should have two of those as well. I'd be starving if that was a typical day! Good luck x

Back