Going my own way - dieting with allergies and intollerances

Hi I just skimmed through your diary, and can relate to a lot of what you say. Regarding depression, I believe I was depressed for most of my childhood/teens but I wasn't diagnosed until I suffered post natal depression. I was prescribed Escitalopram and I still take one 10mg a night, it saves my life. I have experienced no side effects, it just keeps my mood stable and I no longer have the massive 'downs' that I used to. If I feel low, I know that by tomorrow it'll have passed and it does. So don't be afraid to take a happy pill, depression is caused by low serotonin and that's something you're born with and my little pill helps retain serotonin. My son who is now eleven shows signs of similar low moods and anxiety and I will not let him suffer the way I have, if he gets to the point when I feel he needs help I'll get it him, there's nothing to be ashamed of suffering what is a medical condition and taking treatment.

Regarding weight loss, I too struggle to stick to a diet, even though I really want and need to lose weight. I've decided to throw the 'diet' out of the window and pursue a similar diet to Rainbow Rose - who I find a huge (no pun intended ;) ) inspiration, just healthy eating and not snacking. Snacking is my downfall, I have no 'off' switch and can eat all day long. My son's the same. I want to lose weight for health as I'm now 43 and want to be around for a while longer. I'm starting a new diary to help keep me on track. I wish you success, the journey might be longer than some who can stick to a diet but we'll get there in the end :)

Thanks for popping by Kayjay, I hope your journey is succesful in every way. Depression is an evil thing to have, I have been offered tablets but I wanted to try and get through by myself, I'm stubborn and hate taking tablets lol. The only tablets I will take are Xenical (because I feel my life depends on it and me losing the weight) and an occasional dizziness tablet for my imbalanced ears r an ibuprofen for back pain. I have never been able to swallow tablets properly and I think thats put me off taking them for anything unless I really have to.

Well the Escitalopram is tiny, you'll be able to swallow that ;) I feel strongly that nobody should suffer from depression unnecessarily, so do consider treatment if you continue to suffer. I tried Xenical but didn't like the diarrhoea side effects, I suffer from IBS anyway and it was just intolerable.

I suffer from IBS too, have sone since I was little. Buscopan is my friend lol.
Xenical seems to have had the opposite effect on me tho and makes me constipated, unless I have been naughty and then Mr Tango comes to visit.

2 weeks today....Oh God. So scared. Had my Pre-Op yesterday and that was enough to send me running for the Kettle Crisps and Pint of Nice cold Beer...I didnt tho, I made do with my nice dinner instead.
Really am crapping myself at the thought of this operation. Surgeon said to me yesterday "this will not be an enjoyable experience" Lovely, thanks for that.

Tough day today, Would have been so easy to eat crap but I didnt, stuck to the plan and feel good at the end of the day for it. Need to do some more exercise this week though, Havent done half as much as last week yet. Hopefully fit in a trip to the gym tommorow if I can get a babysitter.

Good for you luv, especially with being so nervous of this op, I hope everything goes really well for you, how long will you be in hospital?

All the best
x

Good for you luv, especially with being so nervous of this op, I hope everything goes really well for you, how long will you be in hospital?

All the best
x

Surgeon reckons 2 days max, but last time I had this op done I was in for over a week. It makes you VERY sick, and I HATE being sick :( Dont want to come home and throw up all over the place and scare our little girl with Mummy being poorly.

Oh what a day yesterday, I was doing really well throughout the day and at 3pm we decided to go to the Harvester for an early dinner at 4 when Hubby got home from work.
So off we went, half way through my bowl of salad and our Daughter decided to choke on some cucumber and then throw up all over me. she then had a temperature and wasnt responsive very much, so off to the doctors we went, (she has been a bit off colour for a few days) she has a viral infection and suspected urine infection. So now I have to follow her round with no nappy on to catch some wee in a sample bottle...mission impossible or what!!
So anyway we ended up having dinner at about half 8 and I had chicken friend rice fro the takeaway, Filled a hole but felt rubbish afterwards for eating it :(
This morning Ive had some toast, and then for lunch I bought some sandwiches from Tesco whilst we were out and about (been for a lovely wander around a local farm and orchard) only to start eating them and straight away taste Lemon dressing (allergic to Citrus) who puts Lemon dressing in a chicken salad sandwich without saying so on the front of the packet!?
So Im now hungry and annoyed lol.
Looking forward to dinner tho, going to have fajitas and some oven chips.
Lets hope the rest of the day/weekend is a bit better!x

Only 1lb off this week, Im trying not to feel too deflated about it, trying to figure out where ive gone wrong, I think its because i did so much exercise the week before and yet this week ive achieved my goal but it doesnt feel enough. The only naughty thing ive eaten was that fried rice the other night, so its not anything ive eaten. So frustrating, but I have to remember that the first week is a lot of water weight, and that even tho i may not have lost a lot the inches will be less.

Yes I think you are right, the inches will be less. Part of the reason I don't have a weigh in day is because I don't want to feel disspointed when I have a "bad week". Another thing I do is to find something that weighs a pound and feel how heavy that actually is - or to find something that weighs as much as I've lost so far and see how heavy that feels and realise it's great that I've lost that much

All the best luv, am sure you will lose more this week
x

Hey a pound is a pound and going in the right direction. I prefer using the tape as a guide rather than the scales.

There is a theory that when you lose fat the empty cells fill up with water until the body is certain you aren't going to need the fat cells again. That's why you can have small losses/STS and then suddenly you drop 3-4lbs in a week.

Hope the little one is getting better and that your op goes well.

Going ok so far this week, Ive been told off by MFP a few times for not eating enough calories so i'm working on that this week. Really Difficult tho, as I associate all food with being "fattening" regardless of the content. Just need to re-train my mind along the way! :) x

thanks hun, thats an excellent way of viewing it. x

Hi, i'm back :)

I see the weight is still coming off hun, well done, don't be put off with small losses, they all add up and the scales do reward with big losses along the way. you are doing great :)

RR Welcome back hun! Hope you had a lovely time :) x

Back