Going to a class on your own and for the first time

Summer

I really want to do some classes as I now feel a bit more confident about going to and being at the gym.

There is an aerobics class on tomorrow morning (Sunday 10am)

There are already 13 people signed up to do it. The class can be up to 38 people. I am really nervous and think should I? I already think 13 people is a lot. If the class was fully booked I'd definitely not go.

I will walk in not having a clue, everyone else will probably know what their doing. I am unfit and overweight so will be a bit rubbish. I also lack hand eye co ordination badly if someone says wave your left hand I will spend 4 seconds thinking what is left and then by then I have forgot what I'm doing with it when I find it.

I have asked some friends to come but they won't come as it's early on a Sunday.

What should I do? Should I go? Should I just wait until my friends are able to come to a class?

Everyone feels like you do about starting something new and it is hard to go on your own when you don't know anyone but remember there will be others just like yourself who are there on their own feeling nervous and apprehensive.

If you get a chance at the beginning of class or whenever you get time to explain to the instructor about your co-ordination and she will help you out with that.

This is a great opportunity for you to move out of your comfort zone and perhaps make some new friends...all these things are skills that we can all learn to build on and when something else comes up in the future that you would like to do you will feel more empowered to go ahead and give it a go...with or without friends.

This could be your first step in broadening your own horizons...I say go for it!

Going to a new class - whether excercise or education - is daunting. Most of the time you would find there are other people in the same boat as you and feel exactly the same. If you attend each week you'd soon get to know some of the others.

The class leader should also be supportive of any convcerns you have.

Good luck, xx

I frequently go to aerobics classes alone. Once it gets going no-one is talking to each other anyway!

And don't worry about having no hand-eye co-ordination. My instructors line is "if in doubt....style it out!". You'll find lots of people have no clue what they are doing!

I really really want to start classes at the local gym, but I really dont have the confidence to do it on my own. I have no friends that are willing to come with me either. Its a pain =( Still, one day I might be brave enough to face it!

i always go on my own, tho sometimes it gets a awkward when the other gals are chatting away and i dont know anyone, so i just jog on the spot or something while im waiting for it to start!!

Back