Going to start Atkins

Poobe

Hi everyone

I want to try Atkins. I have sort of attempted it in the past, but i did not get past the first week as I had numerous people telling me how bad it was and so on. But I have since done some research of my own, and I now understand how the human body uses sugars, so now is a good time to give Atkins a try without being brain washed in the process.

I have LOTS of weight to lose. But I have set myself a half way goal for December which i believe is realistic.

The sad thing is that I gave my Atkins books away about a year ago thinking "I will never need these" and i chucked them all out. So I will be buying the book again and I plan to use this week to research induction properly and I will start on Monday. I find I do much better at weight loss when I have preplanned everything.

My biggest issue is breakfast, so if anyone has any breakfast ideas that would be great. I have made some homemade scotch eggs without the crumb which turned out alright. I did them in the oven instead of frying them as well, so hopefully having those as a snack or breakfast will help.

Thanks everyone! :D

I've not been on Atkins long (2nd day today) but I'm really enjoying omelettes for brekkie. I use 2 whole eggs and egg white (you can buy these fresh in cartons now). I separate the whole eggs, add the egg whites (6 tablespoons) and beat to stiff peaks, I then fold in the yolks and pop in the pan on the stove. After about 4 minutes I add 60g grated cheddar on top an pop the pan under a hot grill for 1.5 minutes. Perfect! Like a soufflé omelette and only 2.8g carbs.

Morning and welcome to Atkins - you will find there are a lot of neighsayers out there, but you're approaching it correctly and doing the research. Have a read of people like Gary Taubes (or watch him on YouTube) and if you're anything like me, your blood will start to boil at the nonsense GPs/dieticians/Daily Mail readers spout! :)

Read the diaries of Katie and Di (Alpaca) and see how successful and healthy women doing a low carb way of eating can be.

Might also be a good idea to start your own diary and record what you're eating, so all the lovely experts on here can give you tips and guidance :)

The best way to start is to keep it really simple - meat, chicken, fish, eggs, green leafy veg and lots of water. Do try and give up caffeine for two weeks if you can, the idea is to cut out everything that can bring about cravings.

Re brekkie - bacon and eggs is my favourite, also omelettes (I make mine with 3 eggs, whisked with some water, fried in butter, with herbs and mushrooms/bacon/cheese/leftover veg) - but there are lots of lovely recipes on that thread. Also check out the Low Carb Shopping thread.

Thank you :) I have always been a Weight Watchers person, but for some reason i just continually get so hungry on that and hunger derails me instantly. I hope Atkins will work for me because I know for myself that cutting out the carbs causes weight loss, so perhaps with a more structured plan I will be far better off.

Absolutely - and you won't feel hungry either!

Everyone here has tried every diet going - and none of them work without lots of hunger and suffering - except low carb :)

I was on Dukan for the past 10 months. I lost 2 stone but then stalled for 2 months. I couldn't understand why but I do now. I was eating far too many carbs, on Dukan you're allowed up to 1kg of dairy (milk or yogurt) per day. My sister convinced me to try Atkins with her, I'm really hoping to kick start the weight loss again. Day 2 and I'm up 100g but that could be down to many factors. I'm determined to lose the last 6kgs.
Low carb definitely works.

Back