Going to the gym

tipperary

Gold Member
For medical reasons I cant walk or swim for a few weeks so have got the gym to do me a short 40 minute programme for upper body.
I don't normally enjoy the gym feeling intimidated by all the muscle guys.
Does anyone else here visit a gym regularly and what is your favourite thing to so?

I do an exercise in the home. I downloaded a workout dvd from the internet and I have been following this since last monday. just 25 mins a day. I feel great after this. never get tired. my favourite thing is cardio. also I drink a cup of form tea everyday. I will let you now the result.

Thanks, the programme I have is fine and I have been a few times now. Bit as I say its just a case of who else case of finding a quiet time there. I cant put too much pressure on my foot. I have been threatening for a while :)oops:well 4 years actually) to try C25K and now have a reason not to. But I have been using the cross trainer at the gym and was thinking about trying the C25K on that.

I've just started a membership for my local leisure centre, haven't been brave enough to tackle the gym yet. However, when I went previously I used to love the rowing machines. There's something about the all over body workout it gives you and the 'whooshing' sound it makes as you work on it (daft I know - but it's so satisfying) I also enjoyed the treadmill but just for walking on, I never really built the courage to run on it. The cross trainer is also excellent too.

At the moment I'm just using my membership for classes - I currently go to Drums Alive twice a week which is great fun. You get to bash core balls with drumsticks whilst following the instructor.

My advice would be to go to the gym outside of peak times, that way you can familiarise yourself with the machines and gradually you'll feel more confident.

Good luck!

Thanks Silken, my foot seems better so back walking and I reckon I can go back swimming next week. The gym hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

You're welcome. That's great news, I'm pleased you're on the mend and able to get out walking again. I need to gain some courage and go for a swim. Haven't been brave enough to out on the swimming costume yet :p

I need to gain some courage and go for a swim. Haven't been brave enough to out on the swimming costume yet :p
A huge amount of people say that and I have to say that while sunbathing on a glamorous beach is one thing I am so glad that I have never been concerned about how I look at the swimming pool. Swimming is such great exercise that getting over that barrier can lead to a toned body and an all round excellent workout. I suggest to people to go on a visit to your local pool and see if you can have a look at "the bodies" using the pool. Trust me, yours will be fantastic compared to most. I am able to go during the day and the pool then is mostly older people and the local Down Syndrome group, the steps leading to the pool is full of wheelchairs and walking sticks. Also see if you can get a look at the changing rooms, so then you will know if it is communal or cubicles and if the showers have doors etc. This can help you plan what towels you need, what to wear and make life easy. Ours is communal changing but with private showers so I go into the shower with my togs on, shower and dry in there, come out dry wrapped in a towel and then just jump into my clothes. We also have a small family room and I know a friend of mine who has had a mastectomy gets changed in there and another lady with alopecia takes off her wig in the bathrooms and put her swimming hat on.

I've just joined my local Nuffield one and due to waiting for an op I can only swim,walk on treadmill and do the bikes.
Mon,Wed and Fri is gym then a swim and on Tue and Thurs is swim only. But I will cycle there and back if weather is nice.
Looking forward to getting back to exercising.:)

You're welcome. That's great news, I'm pleased you're on the mend and able to get out walking again. I need to gain some courage and go for a swim. Haven't been brave enough to out on the swimming costume yet :p

Do it and don't worry about others around you. They will be too busy doing their own thing.:)

That seems like a great amount of exercise Craftermary, and well done on the amazing weight loss

Back