golower diet

Go Lower food for sale...

Dear all,

First & foremost, well done Chrissie & others on your incredible weight-loss achievements, you must be so pleased. Keep up the good work!
:angel09:

By way of introduction, my name is Turi. Like you Chrissie, I also signed up to the Go Lower program. Unfortunately, however, I am not doing so well...
:sigh:.

To give you a bit of history, I used to suffer from Bulimia and Anorexia for nearly 10 years and have been 'clean' for 2 years. I would say I now eat healthily and have a very balanced attitude towards eating/size and what not. I went onto Go Lower upon a friend's suggestion as I wanted to literally lose 4-5 hard-to-shift pounds so that I could squeeze myself back into thosejeans that have been under the bed for who knows how long!

So, I signed up... I should mention at this point that I eat fish but do not eat meat so I was told to spread my month's supply of food over 6 weeks supplementing the program with my own high-protein, low-carb meals.

I don't know if it was the lack of options - I've realised that Go Lower is not well suited to non meat-eaters - or the lack of fruit of which I normally snack on a lot but I've failed... miserably! Last night I ate ALL my chocolate nuts and raspberries - snacks that Go Lower provides for a once-every-other-day treat. I woke up this morning with knots in my stomach at the prospect of returning to unhealthy and damaging eating habits.
:break_diet:

That said, my friend is loving the program and since I started my sister signed up & is also loving it. The food is delicious but perhaps it's just not suitable for people who like to eat some sweet things that may be higher in carbs.

So, bearing in mind my history I have decided to sell the remainder of my food. I have spoken to Go Lower this morning & they are going to get back to me as to whether they will refund the remaining food. They also suggested this website to me as a fantastic resource so I thought I would add a post to test the waters...

Anyway, the food I have remaining is as follows:

10 granola breakfasts
10 snacks (mix coconut bars, raspberry bars and nuts/seeds)
10 broccoli & stilton soups
10 mushroom soups
5 quorn bolonaise
7 'chicken' (tofu) coconut curries (my fave!)
7 prawn curries
0 chocolate treats :p

The retail value of these items would be £137. If anyone is interested, please feel free to put an offer in for them! I do hope that my post hasn't been discouraging to those of the diet... like I said, I think it's perfect for some people and the food is yummy (especially aforementioned chocolate treats!).

I hope to hear from you soon,

Turi x

Hi Turi
Sorry to hear that Go Lower has not worked for you. Ive been on it now for nearly 2 weeks and feel great. Went through ketosis a few days ago, but once the headaches had gone, feel on top of the world. This is the best diet I've ever been on, and I've been on a few! In my first week lost 5lbs, which is great. My next weigh-in is tomorrow, so hope it continues, but like I said I feel great. The food is really tasty - my kids like the look of it as does my husband...but if he wants it, he can order his own!!! Already feeling as if my clothes are falling off...
Good luck with what ever you decide to do
xx

In fact I always try to weigh myself every day when not dieting just to (link removed by moderator) keep an eye on what's happening. When trying to lose weight I reckon it helps to measure the results of your efforts and keeps you motivated. Common advice is to do weekly weigh ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
GoLower was started by Hannah Sutter, the author of Big Fat Lies.
If you haven't read the book do. It is the science behind low carbs & explaining why low fat/high carbs don't work for most people. It sounds heavy, but it isn't, it's brilliant!

Hi Turi, sorry to hear you didnt get on so well, different diets suit different people i guess, its all about finding one that works for you :)

I have been started Go Lower end of last year and have lost just over 5 stone!
I try to only weigh myself once a week never more!Dont want to go onto those scales to many times!

Hi Cinta, interesting read isnt it?
Have started to read it at the weekend a friend of mine gave it to me(she is on the diet too).
:) Isabel

It is Isobel, reading it was like a light bulb going on in my head. It explained why I struggled so much with calorie counting. My sister always said if we eat the same food for a week she would lose & I would gain, yet she does no exercise & I do loads.

Well, it looks like she was right! I must be either insulin resistant or just produce too much of the stuff when I have carbs!!
Thank goodness I seemed to have found the answer.

Sharon

Exactly, no diet suits everyone, I tried many and the only one that worked for me was Atkins, though I suspect any low carb diet would have been as good.

Tried the celriac chips yesterday and they ended up as an oily soggy mess. The go lower recipee doesn't give the oven temp or the length of time to cook them. I put the tray and oil in the oven to warm up first, then put in the dried parboiled chip-shaped celeriac in it at 180C (fan assisted oven) for 15 mins. Disappointing. help would be greatly appreciated as they sounded like a good alternative to broccoli/cauliflower!:confused:

I've never tried them in the oven Nadia, I do them in a chip pan. You do need to make sure they are thoroughly dried though, they seem wetter than potato somehow.

Tried the celriac chips yesterday and they ended up as an oily soggy mess. The go lower recipee doesn't give the oven temp or the length of time to cook them. I put the tray and oil in the oven to warm up first, then put in the dried parboiled chip-shaped celeriac in it at 180C (fan assisted oven) for 15 mins. Disappointing. help would be greatly appreciated as they sounded like a good alternative to broccoli/cauliflower!:confused:
Hi, how long have you been doing Go Lower?
The Go Lower website has lots of recepies on it and the people on the forum might have some ideas.
If anyone has any tips that would be good for me too.
:)Isabel x

I tried celriac as a mash potato but can't say I really enjoyed it. Is it worth trying it as chips?

I have done quite well to give up potatoes so it is worth finding a substitute that I don't really need?

thanks all. I only started mid-last week and got the recipee from the go lower website.
thanks Jim. I never thought of the chip pan. Haven't I been brained thoroughly washed about the evils of fat?

I tried something today that i really liked. I blitzed half a celeriac in a food processor until it was very small (but not mashed). I cooked it in the microwave for a few minutes, let it cool a bit, mixed it with 1 egg, a lot of seasoning, a drop of double cream, 1 Emmental babybel cut in small pieces, and spreaded it at the bottom of a greased hot frying pan until broen on both sides. It made an excellent accompaniment for my meal.:D

That sounds nice Nadia, I must give that a try love. :)

Ah yes, getting your head around the fat is good is very hard. :)

Thanks Lucy, I think hubby did cook it but I am not sure how. I think he may of boiled it. I keep out of the kitchen as I can't cook, won't cook!

Hi again Nadia,

Is sounds nice but too much hard work for me. I think I will just go with the easy option of a cheese omlette!

Hi Isabel,
I go for something straightforward like the herb chicken (it is on the website)

chicken thighs, Olive oil and knob of butter, Minced garlic,Salt & pepper
fresh thyme

Rub chicken with olive oil, butter and garlic with salt and roast in the oven for 45 minutes at a high temperature.
Just before its ready shake some dried thyme over the chicken
Simple but effective!
Although now i have managed to cook non-soggy celeriac chips, i really like them.
What is yours?

You guys make me feel guilty because I don't cook but that is why I love Go Lower so much as it is just a case of putting it in the microwave!

I should think about trying the Go Lower recepies but I just don't enjoy being in the kitchen......

LOL Suzy, I didn't really cook until I started Atkins, now it's my hobby and I love it. :)

Hi Jim

So there is still hope for me yet!!!

My mum never liked cooking but she had to do it to feed us and I guess I picked up on her vibes that she wasn't enjoying being in the kitchen.

She still finds it a chore, although at least my dad helps more now as he is retired. His limit isn't much more than a cooked breakfast though, but he does cook wicked fried eggs!

Me, I just leave the cooking to the hubby! A few times a year, literally... I will buy a meal from M & S that I just have to take out of the wrappers and heat in the oven and that is me cooking a meal for hubby. Normally his birthday, our anniversary or Valentines and that really is it for me in the kitchen!

I suppose with our anniversary coming up in about six weeks I should look at the Go Lower recepies and really try to make the effort to cook something for both of us. I'll see nearer the time.

Back