Got a wedding coming up...

Caz

Repeat Offender
My aunt's getting married on the 12th of September. I did post a similar question to this last week but can't find it now, is buried! But basically, we're talking about outfits for the wedding. But as I'm dieting, I have no idea what size to tell her! Obviously we can get to altered a bit too. But I have no idea what to tell her!!

I currently weigh 147lbs (17st 9lbs)
I'm an 18/20 on top, depending on the top, but more and more 18s a fitting now :)
And a 22 on bottom, but 22s are very loose, almost at a 20.

I just don't know what to suggest to her, and don't know how much longer I can wait.

Last edited:
Is the dress going to be from the high street or a wedding shop? If it's a bridesmaid dress(?) They usually come up smaller and then you get them adjusted to fit, so you might be better ordering say a 20 and then getting it altered to fit nearer the time.

It's always easier to take bits out than add them in!

It will be a high street type shop rather than an actual wedding shop I would think. I don't know exactly!

How exciting, my sister brought my bridesmaid dress a few months ago and i couldnt even get it pas my waist and now all i need to do is lose a few more cm's and then im in it - woohoo. I would opt for a bigger size as its easier to take a dress in then let it out.

I'd go for an 18 Caro - you'll definately be that size by then :)

YOU GO GIRL!

Hugs x x x

I'd get an 18 and you may need to have it taken in!

But then I'm an 18 on top already, if I'm still an 18 in 3 months, surely something isn't right!

Actually, I suppose it's the bottom that counts, well, whatever is biggest. And it's only 2 and a bit isn't it. Ok, maybe 18 is likely. I don't know, that disappoints me for some reason! Just feels like slow progress. But I'm sure Ill be happy with whatever I am at that point as it'll be better than I am now!

Were it me I'd be tempted to secretly go out and buy it in a 16 as well....you may well be past the 18s by that point, yes.

The only thing is that posh frocks, if they're structured rather than loose floaty efforts, tend to be cut on the smaller side. I have a 14 'posh frock' from Jane Norman which is more like a 10 anywhere else.

I'm tempted to see if it can wait a while. It's not like I'm a bridesmaid or anything, so I guess it's not a huge rush. I think it's just she was wanting to get them out of the way. But then actually, I don't want her paying for my dress anyway really!

You will be at least a 16 by then my dear you can loose 2.5 stone by then so if you get a 16 you may even need it taken in how nice would that feel and what an incentive for you. Good luck my dear xxx

A 16 would be nice! I think I'm going to aim for a 16/18, I'll speak to her and my mum, if I'm just going to a high street store or whatever, there's no reason I can't leave it til a week or two before the wedding to get something. Or at least closer to the time, as I'll have a better idea.

Come on Caro - me and you getting 2.5 stone off by then. On the same day as the wedding you're going to I'm at my best friends wedding too!!! I'm hoping to have a lovely wallis or monsoon dress by then. No idea what size, my plan is purchasing a dress the weekend before!

Here's to size 16!!!!

Hugs x x x

If thats the case then I'd gracefully decline her kind offer to buy you a dress, or if she really pushes you then just fail to find anything you like on the shopping trip - and say you're flattered, but she's got enough expense at the moment and you'll buy your own frock nearer the time. Summer sales between now and Sept, don't forget.

I want a Monsoon dress! I really really do, I might just try start saving now! Or if I manage to get this job in Topshop I'll have discount at all Arcadia group stores.... ooh!

I know! I was thinking about buying a lovely evening dress from Monsoon once I get to goal to wear for special occasions. They're nearly £200 but so worth it :)

My bridesmaid dresses were from Debenhams and they are pretty roomy ! So I would say probably a 16, if you are an 18 on top now and have a few months, a dress in an 18 may swamp you round the bust. Can you compare your measurements from start to now to see how much you have changed after losing the 32lbs?

Oooh aren't you a clever girly! I didn't think about that, though, whether I'll lose them quite as fast I don't know, but it's probably going to be pretty similar isn't it! I'll do that now!!

Right, here it goes!

So, 32lbs, I could lose that in 2 and a half months right? That's only 3-4lbs a week, which is about what I should be losing. So, if I lose at the same rate, I should go...

Bust - was 48", now 43", then 38" - 14
Waist - was 45", now 38", then 31" - 14
Hips - was 54", now 49", then 44" - 18

No! That does NOT work for me! I refuse to be a 14 everywhere but my god damn hips. No. This really doesn't work for me. Now is the time I start targeting my hips so they play catch up! Though, to be honest, at first they were really really slow on losing inches, but am currently losing an inch on them most weeks, so they are starting to catch up a bit, can feel my shape changing! Just need to get on with the exercise and stuff. I've got an ab cruncher, I need to start using it! And wii fit, huuuuuuula!

Back