GP's and Free Gym Membership?

LianneJane5687

Hiya, I hope I don't offend anyone in this post.

Does anyone know if GP's can prescribe free Gym Membership?
I suffer from depression and about 7 years ago i asked to have surgery as had lots of lose skin after losing 7 stone, i met with the surgeon and he said there's no reason why i shouldn't have the operation and that i was a really good candidate to get it done after losing so much weight. After 2 weeks the GP called me back to say they wouldn't be going ahead with it as they didn't have enough funding. In the past year i've known 2 people to have a gastric bypass/band without even trying to diet first.
Anyway, I put all my weight back on as i hated my body, Now i don't want the operation and i'd rather go to the gym but just cannot afford to go but i'm scared that i'm going to be left with all this lose skin as i've started to get some already and no matter how much i walk or go on the wii etc it's just not helping.
There's a leisure centre just re-opened around the corner from me which would be ideal but wouldn't be able to go any further than that as i'd have to rely on My partner being at home for a few hours during the day so he can look after our daughter while i go as can't afford to put her in the creche and I don't want to stop going to group in order to pay for the gym as i've tried doing it from home before and couldn't stick to it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
I've made an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday to have a chat with them and see what they say.

I found this on the NHS site. 'If it’s appropriate, your GP may recommend exercise on prescription, where you are referred to a local active health team for a number of sessions, under the supervision of a qualified trainer. Depending on where you live, the exercise programme may be free or at a reduced cost. There may also be other physical activity opportunities that your GP could point you to.'
However exercise is unlikely to reduce loose skin. It can tighten some areas up but if the skin is overstretched then surgery may be the only option. Unfortunately this is no longer available on the NHS and can be very expensive.
All the best with your weight loss journey.

Thanks for the info! Doesn't look like there's any hope for me then if I can't get the free membership :(

Why is there "no hope" for you if you don't get the free gym membership?

You don't have to go to the gym to do exercise. There are all sorts of exercise plans you can do at home, free.

My public library has dozens of books on exercise - why not go to your library and see what they have? Most libraries have a loan period of three weeks - more than enough time to find out whether something suits you. And then you can keep renewing the loan, if you don't want to purchase a book. Lots of libraries lend DVDs too, although there is usually a charge for this.

What doctors are able to offer varies a lot from place to place, and you will just have to see what is available where you live. But if it isn't what you want, think positively and try something else.

How about following a couch to 5k plan or buy the 30 day shred DVD? You may also find charity shops have fitness DVD's for a few pennies.

I've tried Walking loads and DVD's and none seem to help.
Maybe it is true and my Saggy skin won't go, no matter how hard i exercise and can't afford surgery.

Just done another thread

It may be true that your skin won't snap back. Or, it may take a bit longer than you've given it so you may need to maintain a low weight for 2 or 3 years to see how much it will come in. Even if it does not work as much as you hope, surely being slimmer and fitter is worth it for health reasons, so diet and exercise is important even if your skin is not as toned as you would like. It may also be that you're GP and health board will support plastic surgery for you if it is impacting on your mental health (I'm not sure about this but is it worth checking?) I am fairly sure that they would only agree to this if you had shown yourself to be dedicated and able to maintain a healthy weight for an extended period of time (over a year at any rate). I am not a health expert but probably things vary from region to region so perhaps your first stop should be your doctor.

Back