graham crackers, BL?

daisydoll

Gold Member
hi
- this is a question that i'm sure BL will be able to answer

what are they?!

i have been looking at some recipes and i think they are sort of digestive -type biscuits maybe?

do we have anything similar in UK?

daisy x

Daisy - I got SO excited, and thought you knew of someplace here in the UK to get Graham Crackers!!!! But thats not the case. :cry::D I love them!!!

Yes, digestives are your best bet for a substitue, particularly if you can find the ones that have some tecture to them.

I do not know exactly what graham crackers are, or are made of - google it you will surely find out - but they are what we make crusts out of for cheesecake, etc., butt hey are gorgeous on their own....or with a thin smear of Peantu Butter. Or dipped in milk till they are gorgeously soggy.

Oh, now I am going to HAVE to bring some back with me on my trip!!! :)

If you are wanting to make a crust/base for something, digestives will work, as will most any cookie/biscuit. :)

xx

If you're going to be the one to export LL to the States, perhaps you could in turn import Grahams back in then.:D:D:D

Hob nobs

Iwas going to say oaty hob nobs!!!!
But look at your avatar Jan.
Gorgeous hair. You look great. xxx:)

thanks Bl
Your new avatar pic is amazing!!! you look great
daisy x

Aw, thank you hon!

Hey, I found a recipe to make Graham Crackers!!! :D :D

One day I am going to try this!! :)

1. Mix graham flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
  3. Add honey and vanilla to creamed butter and sugar.
  4. Alternating water and flour, add to creamed mixture, beating well after each.
  5. Cover dough and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Divide dough in half and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
  7. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle and roll dough (with a floured rolling pin) within 1/2 inch of the edge of the cookie sheet.
  8. Cut lines in the dough to form squares or rectangles.
  9. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until squares are browned.
Tips:

1. You can use a pastry cutter to make the dashed lines like store-bought crackers.
  2. Try adding sugar or cinnamon sugar to the top of the crackers during the last few minutes of baking, if desired.
  3. The baking process in this recipe is enough to kill any harmful spores in the honey. You may choose to substitute light karo syrup or additional brown sugar (with a little water for moisture) for children under 1 year, if desired.
What You Need:

• 3 1/2 cups graham flour (do not sift)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup water

Iwas going to say oaty hob nobs!!!!
But look at your avatar Jan.
Gorgeous hair. You look great. xxx:)

Thank you!!! I like it too!!! :eek:;):D

Oh yeah, there are some biscuits in a blue package - forget what they are called - some wierd name - the would work, as would the oaty hob nobs!! :)

After reading the description on Wikipedia ... seems like it's a coursely ground wholewheat digestive biscuit. Sort of like a Ryveta I'd say.
And Ryveta do lots of nice stuff. Most of their range uses Rye flour, however, there is one product: Wholegrain Crackerbread (20 kcal per 'slice') which uses wholegrain wheat flour and seems to be the closest in description to this .. graham cracker malarkey.

:)

Ryvita- Our Brands - Crackerbread - Wholegrain

Nope...Ryvita is nothing at all like Graham Crackers. Do not substitute with Ryvita - lol - it woul dbe a disaster!!! :D

Graham Crackers are rather sweet, semi-"creamy" texture - not crunchy at all. Very morish they are.

They are the cornerstone of every american childhood. I miss them!

anzac - graham flour - are you speaking another language?!
x

Graham Flour:

Wikipedia said:
Rather than simply grinding the whole grain wheat kernel (bran, germ and endosperm), in graham flour the components are ground separately. The endosperm is ground finely, initially creating white flour. The bran and germ are ground coarsely. The two parts are then mixed back together, creating a coarse-textured flour that bakes and keeps well.

:D

But will it be in tesco?!
x

Maybe, one of the huge tescos with World Foods, etc.

Health FOod stores may have the Graham flour. I saw some yesterday in a "scoop and pay" shop in WOrthing, but it was just called GRAM flour, assume its the same?

Anzac is the name of the cookie, like HobNob, Oreo, Anzac. Its an oatmealk type biscuit/cookie in a blue package with red writing.

i thought gram flour was used in indian cookery?
maybe i'm getting mixed up!

just spent the last hour looking at videos on the goodfood website - i'm getting a bit obsessed with food lol!

daisy x

NOT THE SAME

Don't do it Daisy.
Gram flour and Graham flour are not the same.
Yes, Gram flour is Indian and can be found in Asian food stores and larger Tesco/ Sains etc.
But Graham flour is a fine whole wheat American flour. As Minerva said there's a good description on Wikipedia and it tells you how to make a substitute - but some
things are best left alone, like Marmite belongs to us, Graham crackers belong to the Americans.
They'll come - we can get Oreo cookies here now.

And Anzac's too! I've just been on the Sainsbury's website and they're on there.

Nooo!!

Why mention these yummies the week I go to America! I always used to go a bit crazy with these when I went on hols!! Bad people :D :D

But yes, they are very yummy, would be nice to see if there's a nice "healthy" substitute.

sorry em

avoid all bad american foods!

daisy x

Back