Grapefruit... How do you eat yours?

jenxy

Real dumb question I know, but I bought some, tried to peel one, bit of a disaster, then tried to do the "cheffy" thing with a sharp knife to get the segments out, ended up with juice running up to my elbows. I quartered the next one and just stood over the sink, slurping like a demented woman. :)
How are you supposed to deal with them?

I don't eat them but I'd imagine if I did then I'd cut it into about 8 or 10 sections with the skin still on and just eat them like that. That's how I eat a large orange.

With great difficulty. I find them nigh on impossible to peel, and if I cut it in half and try to eat it with a spoon, I just get big spoonfuls of juice. Never had any luck trying to get the skin off with a knife either, so I'm subscribing to this thread to see if anyone can give me some tips :D

x

I cut it into 8 and eat it with a bit of kitchen roll at the ready! Really love grapefruit x

The membranes are quite tough so I segment them with a knife, the juice goes everywhere!

ooooh one of my fave fruits, I just treat it like an orange-peel and break into segments ; if the pith is particularly tough I just "turn the segments inside out" so they pop out ...mmmmmm

Real dumb question I know, but I bought some, tried to peel one, bit of a disaster, then tried to do the "cheffy" thing with a sharp knife to get the segments out, ended up with juice running up to my elbows. I quartered the next one and just stood over the sink, slurping like a demented woman. :)
How are you supposed to deal with them?

...every morning, over the sink, like a demented woman. Tea towel at the ready!

I had to laugh!!! That's what I actually do!!!
:8855:

Have you tried the red ones? Yum.

well I'm a bit funny with grapefruit! I only like pink grapefruit and I only like it if I cut it in half and eat it with a tea spoon, they taste different in segments!?

I cut them in half, then run a knife in a circle between the fruit and the skin all the way around, not cutting the skin (if that makes sense). The segments are then easier to scoop out with a teaspoon. The trick is to cut as close to the fruit as possible.
Does anyone know how many syns there are in grilled grapefruit?

I do the chefy thing, but not with a knife! I just use my hands to get the segments out and do it over bowl so most of the juice gets caught that way.

First time I massacred it and had nothing left to eat! Lol

Now I use a large serrated bread knife, saw off all the skin and then cut up segments and add to my yog. Then I carefully pour the escaped juice off the bread board into my bowl. Spill some on the floor and say bollocks. Every morning!!

I do it the cheffy way......I use a very sharpe knife and take a thin slice off the top and bottom, then slice down the skin close to the segments, then slice each segment out.

Hxx

Chef-y way here too. Sharp Sharp knife, slice as close to the skin as possible, then slice in the middle of two segments. Sprinkle with splenda and EAT with a teaspoon!

when i lived at home I used to eat lots of grapefruit . My mum had a grapefruit knife which was fabulous , you cut it in half and then use the knife to cut each triangular segment away from the 'pith' ( so from the middle out to the peel ), then I used a serrated grapefruit spoon like someone posted about earlier :)
heres a link to a knife ... Kitchen Craft Wooden Handled Grapefruit Curved Knife | eBay UK

I think I will get me one of them there bendy knives, looks like something my nan used to have when we were small. I am sure I could manage with that. All brilliant replies tho, Thanks. :)

Back