Greed

MargyParker

My belly this will be!
This is a word that has very negative connotations and if anyone accused me of being greedy I would be hurt - but - I think there is a lot of it about and because the word itself is not very nice - other words get used instead but it still means the same thing.

Is everyone that is overweight greedy?

I've been bad....
I've fallen off the wagon....
I've lost my mojo....
Had an off plan day....

I wonder if these are all just euphemisms for I have been greedy - I know it was for me 2 days ago.:eek:

I think in some instances or on some occasions they may all be euphemisms for greed, but if I say I've fallen off the wagon I'm usually thinking more along the lines of "I've lacked willpower".

On Tuesday I ate a whole slice of chocolate brownie cheesecake :eek: but I wouldn't say I was greedy, I just had a moment of madness where my willpower was weak (I blame the flu!).

Greed is a very negative term, and not one I like because it implies censure by others! xxx

greed·y (gr
emacr.gif
prime.gif
d
emacr.gif
)
adj. greed·i·er, greed·i·est 1. Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.
2. Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous.
3. Extremely eager or desirous: greedy for the opportunity to prove their ability.

Make your own minds up.

I know when I feel like going off plan, and I rarely do, go off plan I mean, not feel like going off plan, I have something that is on plan but more than I would normally.

I think it is more desire than greed.

de·sire (d
ibreve.gif
-z
imacr.gif
r
prime.gif
)
tr.v. de·sired, de·sir·ing, de·sires

To wish or long for; want

In Spanish we say I have ganas for something and one of the meanings of ganas is to eat or to laugh heartily. Much nicer than greedy !!!

No, greedy is a horrid word !!! Let's all have ganas !!!

I definitly agree with fillymum. It is desire, its the desire to have something that you shouldnt really have.

Sometimes it is greed, i.e having a massive SW meal then eating 4 high syn cupcakes when your already full.

Sometimes its neither greed or desire. If your out for the day and get hungry but the only place about is McDs that have run out of salad then you may have an off plan day - although it wouldnt be greed or desire that made you do it, just hunger

xx

As Filly wrote

2. Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous.

I take greed as eating until you are stuffed and then some more.

A slice of cheesecake is enjoying a treat...it's not greed. xx

Stefanie said:
I take greed as eating until you are stuffed and then some more.

A slice of cheesecake is enjoying a treat...it's not greed. xx

I completely agree with this. And I don't think all overweight people are greedy. I know I'm not. I generally can't eat a large amount of food in one sitting, I rarely snack, and I don't keep eating after I'm satisfied. I do, however, make TERRIBLE food choices, hence the weight gain!

Well i feel totally greedy.

Was doing really well - have been a bit iffy with my food this week (but not really bad) but have been to zumba twice, and today started off really well. Came in to work and they have a huge buffet on as some of the health visitors are leaving, kept away from it most of the day - and have just had prawns SMOTHERED in marie rose sauce, chicken with skin on, crisps, dips, a pork pie, and some cadburys fingers. *dies*

I didnt even need it. Just complete and utter greed. I feel really digusting :( xxxx

Back