Greeneyes will PERSEVERE.........

I like the way we are making use of GE's thread in her absence. It's quite comfy in here isn't it? *peers around*

I'm a non-meat eater. I choose not to eat meat because I don't like the taste, and also joke my shoe collection has killed enough cows! I like dairy and love fish. On the other hand, I can't handle eggs simply because of the whole chicken and egg situation. I only learnt yesterday (insert embarassed face here) those eggs were unfertilised. I can't cook with eggs (trust me it's all my head) and if I can see egg in a dish, I'll discretely leave the bits to the side. Of course I love my pasta though :) haha

Wild rabbits are a real problem with the farmers in Australia as they eat all the crops. There's a fair bit of rabbit culling as a result.

Some crematoriums in Sweden are hooked up to the energy network as well - It's all about sustainability really...
:17729:

I've just re read this bit Alli, :eek::eek::eek: That's forward thinking for you, well why not really? Just a bit stunning for us Brits!

Shall I tell you about my vegan years? Eight years and had both of my kids too as a strict vegan... local doctor nearly had heart failure until she saw the babies were healthy & fine. (They have been brought up veggie but not vegan). I spent a lifetime in canvas shoes trying to save the world, but funnily enough living in the country does put it all in perspective. It fits together, somehow, but I think farming only works for me if it is free range and it very often isn't. The small flocks of sheep and home slaughter, that is how it SHOULD be. And... I suppose as you get older you learn to see other viewpoints.

I will always be veggie, but now I do eat dairy & quorn & eggs. (The protein matters... I know that now, from CD experience). And CAKE... sigh. And... gulp... wear leather shoes. But maybe when I am a very old lady I will be vegan again... I have seen cows when their calves are taken away, and they CRY. They howl. It breaks your heart.

For the record, it is possible to be vegan & fat... I think you have to eat a LOT of food to feel full when the food is very protein-low. I used to make chocolate cake with cocoa powder & tons of vegetable oil... bleughhh. None of it really helped in my messed up food relationships.

Um... I guess you said best not go there, and I just did. Hope you're all still speaking to me!

xxx

I was going to ask you about this, when you mentioned being a vegan earlier. I admire you, living by your principals. That's really important. It's a really interesting post. Did you find the diet limiting? I'm just trying to think about what you would have eaten.....apart from weird cake that is!!

I like the way we are making use of GE's thread in her absence. It's quite comfy in here isn't it? *peers around*

I'm a non-meat eater. I choose not to eat meat because I don't like the taste, and also joke my shoe collection has killed enough cows! I like dairy and love fish. On the other hand, I can't handle eggs simply because of the whole chicken and egg situation. I only learnt yesterday (insert embarassed face here) those eggs were unfertilised. I can't cook with eggs (trust me it's all my head) and if I can see egg in a dish, I'll discretely leave the bits to the side. Of course I love my pasta though :) haha

Wild rabbits are a real problem with the farmers in Australia as they eat all the crops. There's a fair bit of rabbit culling as a result.

So then Laura, I have a little Silky hen sitting on 6 eggs which should hatch fairly soon I think. Wrong time of year of course, but tell the hen that. There's things that I wouldn't eat either. Veal for instance, although I ought to put my prejuduces aside for properly reared pink veal- but maybe not. Tripe euch! my MIL loves it ugh! And I'd never ever ever eat horse!! shh!
I hate killing things though. It usually falls to me to dispatch the hens because I'm better at it, so kinder for the hens, but I have to tell you that some hens' normal life span is around 13 years! I know because occasionally you get a very tame one which becomes a pet, so you see I'm not so heartless after all. And I couldn't kill a duck, it'd be like doing for the dog, no way. This is also why we don't keep pigs. They'd be here for ever, far too intelligent for me to keep and dispatch. Our pork comes from a local farmer who we know where the pigs live outside and are well cared for. Nor could I eat hares, because they are so magical and beautiful.

What is lovely Greeneyes going to say when she gets back? Eeek!

Glad you have issues with veal, and agree about pigs... so lovely. And hares... we have some near here and when my son was a toddler, just after we moved into the house, one came right up onto the doorstep and stared right through the door at him, as if the two of them were talking. It was amazing. A week later, we were in the garden & a hare (same one?) appeared right beside him, again. Spooooked. Nothing like that has happened since, but we do see them, especially in the spring, and it always feels like a gift.

xxx

What is lovely Greeneyes going to say when she gets back? Eeek!

Glad you have issues with veal, and agree about pigs... so lovely. And hares... we have some near here and when my son was a toddler, just after we moved into the house, one came right up onto the doorstep and stared right through the door at him, as if the two of them were talking. It was amazing. A week later, we were in the garden & a hare (same one?) appeared right beside him, again. Spooooked. Nothing like that has happened since, but we do see them, especially in the spring, and it always feels like a gift.

xxx

I utterly, completely agree!! Feel just the same. How I wish that'd happened to me. We had two in our house field this year. It's a big 14 acre pasture field that curls itself around the house and orchard, a steep hill where we see fallow deer most days. I was thrilled to have hares there and watched them for ages. They are usually in the arable fields aren't they? Lucky son, I don't suppose he remembers it?

No, he doesn't remember, would have been maybe 15 months as my daughter had not yet been born. We have no arable fields by us, it's mainly sheep or cattle grazing on rough hills/valleys, but there is definitely a hare hotspot here! I love seeing deer too, but it's red deer mostly here.

xxx

PS. Greeneyes, promise to shut up & go to bed now, & you can have your thread back!

xxx

Poor Greeneyes, we'd better tidy up before we leave, she'll think she's been burgled!

Greeneyes, are you out there? Miss you, hun. Hope we didn't bug you by posting random stuff on your thread? Didn't mean to! Hope you are just busy & all is well, but let us know you are OK. Hugs.

xxx

Hey Greeneyes are you around hun?
I echo Katy's thoughts we miss you on here...come back :) Hope all is well, and you are just spending time with your new grandchildren. xx

Hi Linda, you back from Dublin yet? We tidied up before we left. There should be flowers for you on the table - here they are -:flowers:. And we didn't eat all the biscuits!!!!

How's things? x

Oh Dublin... I forgot... bet you are still recovering from the Guinness!

xxx

Come on out Linda, where are you hiding? We miss you.xx

Just let us know you are ok Linda. I can't pm you, so please let us know. x

Hi everyone, I am back... I just had the most horrendous week last week, I was soooo down, I spent most of the week crying or near to tears, I slept so badly and was so tired and to top it all my cat had to be put to sleep as it had leukemia, tumours and his liver was failing. He was only 2 years old. I then felt that it was unfair for our great dane to live in the garden most of the time (despite the children going out to play with her and the other dog with her, having a kennel and couple of quilts, toys etc) and decided we would have to rehome her, but on telling the children they started crying and I couldn't deal with their pain on top of mine, but I did manage to speak to someone at the weekend who assured me that the great dane had everything she needed in the garden (she does come in at night, when there are fireworks, storms etc) and that she was perfectly happy and I was worrying over nothing, plus DH and boys walk her every day too.... the reason she cannot live in the house is because last February she managed to take my pugs eye out, so she only has one eye now and I would be devestated if she was hurt further because she is so small and the dane is so big, so we have to keep them seperated all the time (it was an accident just due to them being so different in size)... so I am now happy to keep her.

Things have started to look up and on the plus side, my weight dropped to my normal weight of 9 stone 13lb last week and has stayed there, I am keeping my weight stable by eating a lot of the no count foods on the Weightwatchers list most of the time and only eating 3 points worth of other stuff each day, I do have a lapse on a Sunday, but by Tuesday weight is back to normal, so am really happy with that especially as I have managed to maintain now for 3 months. Also on Sunday I had more good news. I am an Independent Demonstrator for Stamping Up, originally an American company selling stamp sets, cardstock etc, and have been for just over a year, when I got depressed in the summer I kind of let it slide with the intention of giving up, but I haven't and found out that I ranked 9th in the whole of the UK out of 281 demonstrators at the European Convention in Hamburg last weekend, unfortunately I was unable to go because of finances, cannot believe I am up there with the best of them, so now I am giving it my best and trying to sell as much as I can, it is awesome stuff tho...

Thank you all for caring about me, I am sorry I was AWOL for so long but I just felt so bad last week.... hope everyone else is going along okay, will catch up on the posts when slightly less busy.... take care all xx

seems like we;re both returning today hun!
Sorry to hear about your cat! what a horrible thing to have to go through and i really feel for you!
The lovely dog sounds quite happy outside hun, they are really good with outdoor stuff so dont worry too much!

i know the feeling about the wobbles....had more than enough recently. I'm back on my CD porridge and fruit now to try and kick start some weight loss and then thinking about giving carbs the elbow as i seem to really sufer with them!
This weight loss stuff is hard! Harder than i like to admit!lol
Just REALLLLLY want to get into the 10's so here is to kicking crap food out of the house hun! We can do this!
x

Back