Greggs

Shirleen

Gold Member
I found it interesting that Greggs now has as many shops as Starbucks and 200 more than McDonalds.

Bakery Greggs has more UK outlets thatn McDonald's | Mail Online

It's a bit of a worry as alot of it is still junk food, (sausage rolls, pasties,doughnuts) yet it's not perceived as junk food the same way that burgers, KFC etc are!

Mind you a survey was done on how many calories people thought were in a Latte and Muffin from Starbucks and the average answer was 300 calories, yet some of them can contain 1000 calories!!!!!
Skinny lattes all round – coffee shops cut the calorie count - News, Food & Drink - The Independent

I've got to admit I would have a latte and not even consider the calories before SW. A sausage roll didn't seem too bad either. Obviously now I know the truth I can make better choices.

I think this sort of thing ought to be taught in school!

I've got to admit I would have a latte and not even consider the calories before SW. A sausage roll didn't seem too bad either. Obviously now I know the truth I can make better choices.

Me too, Shirleen. Pre-Slimming World, I'd often pop into Greggs/Peters for a Latte and a Bacon and Cheese Wrap, then think nothing of scoffing a few Cheese Pasties and a Caramel Doughnut for my dinner. My god, just think of the calories in all of that in just one day :eek:

I work in Peters Bakers on Saturdays, and have done for around 4 years now. I think working there has helped me - I no longer crave pasties and cakes, as after a shift at work I'm sick of looking at them!

It is interesting though, how they're not really thought of as 'junk food', in such a way McDonalds are. Even the majority of there sandwiches are really unhealthy - being smoothered in full fat mayonnaise and sauces.

There's a cafe near me called 'lo cal' and i'm nearly sure that all it does is SW menus (or based upon the SW principles)

I'm surprised that SW hasn't maybe considered opening up a few cafes of it's own (considering their enterprise so far has a global market) and it might encourage other people (not on SW) to consider what exactly they're eating as well as helping people on SW

I totally agree, healthy eating & calorie awareness should be taught in school (as well as financial managment, but that's another soap box I have:D).

I remember when..............., seriously at school we had home economics & we were taught how to prepare meals & taught about nutrition. When my children went to school this type of thing just didn't exist. Yes they had cooking classes but that is all they seemed to be & didn't have any theory about them.

My children were never allowed, MccyDs, Burger King, KFC etc on a regular basis; when it's our birthday, the birthday girl/boy is allowed to chose what we have for birthday tea, my two always chose KFC or MccyD's and it was a treat as this is the only time they had it.

Even now, (aged 19 & 21) both see fast food as a treat & not regular occurence.

We were shown the 'healthy eating pyramid' but i don't remember a lot about nutrition being taught or awareness of how high fastfood is being taught.

the likes of starbucks i'd not go into purely because i really don't even want to start calculating what the stuff would be and it's just a waste of money...for the £3 for a coffee i could have a lot more healthier stuff filling my cupboard. begun to think like that a lot recently purely because my money is always tight so i don't really like going out to drink (esp.) or really buying loads of junk food because it just doesn't fill me or last more than a day...least with fruit i get a few days out of it :)

I'm surprised that SW hasn't maybe considered opening up a few cafes of it's own (considering their enterprise so far has a global market) and it might encourage other people (not on SW) to consider what exactly they're eating as well as helping people on SW

I doubt that would be commercially viable and it would detract from their ethos that SW is about normal eating. It would send the message that SW food is somehow separate and different from what 'normal' people eat.

I doubt that would be commercially viable and it would detract from their ethos that SW is about normal eating. It would send the message that SW food is somehow separate and different from what 'normal' people eat.

I agree with this but maybe they could have some kind of endorsement with a company? It would certainly help when on the high street and wanting to grab a bite at lunchtime. I never thought I'd say it but I'm getting tired of Subway salads now.

Don't get me started on Greggs.....YUK. I wrote to them to ask what ingredients they used and they said they could only tell me if they had allergens in them and if I could be specific.....YUK!!! Seriously what is the world coming to where Greggs is a lunch option.....a sausage roll has 25g of fat in it!! And what the hell is the meat??? Some slushed up, rancid, cat food meat, actually cat food probably has more meat!!

Sorry rant over lol :D

I agree with this but maybe they could have some kind of endorsement with a company?

They did endorsements at certain butchers until a couple of month ago (cost £100 for an endorsement certificate) - this has now stopped, because they say they havn't got the time to go round to the individual places to verify their recipes / ingredients.

That's what worries me, there is probably less fat in the Mcdonalds burger than in the sausage roll.
Watching TV the other day on how croissants are made was worrying too, the amount of butter is staggering.

the great bristish bakeoff showed how they make croissants...remember a few months back going through a pack of 6of them with a full tub of nutella:eek:.... obviously can't do that now!:8855:

hi, jellyfish where is this lo-cal cafe in belfast.....is it really sw friendly? think there might be somewhere in bangor too .!!!!!:)

There's a cafe near me called 'lo cal' and i'm nearly sure that all it does is SW menus (or based upon the SW principles)

Said this for a while, Weightwatchers have their range(s), and although the SW ethic is to eat anything in moderation or synned, I still think they miss a trick. HIFI bars, so far as I know are only available in group. Surely they could be sold in Supermarkets?

I used to eat sausage rolls from greggs as a matter of routine, in reality they are disgusting. The meat literally drips with fat! I've not had one in nearly a year. I used to also go to Starbucks/costa for a hot chocolate (large) and cake. Used to ask for skimmed milk & then have cream on top!!! Also dominoes used to be a twice a month thing.

Writing this down I dread to think how much I used to waste on junk food! I must be spending literally hundreds less now on food. We used to eat out regularly too! Eek!

I reckon i could make a low syn sausage roll with joes sausagemeat & filo pastry if I really wanted one. It's not something I crave, even though I. Loved them before SW.

Another interesting fact - more fat in one Krispy Kreme ring donut than in a whole big mac MEAL apparently!

Another interesting fact - more fat in one Krispy Kreme ring donut than in a whole big mac MEAL apparently!

You break me! :sigh:

In just the ring donut? What about the cream filled ones? Luckily, it's a 90 mile round trip to my nearest stockist so manage to avoid them for the most part.

Back