Group Query

welshgirl21

Silver Member
I go every Monday to group and we've had 3 different consultants since November. When I joined we had a temp C til Xmas, now we have 2 women who do alternate weeks for 8 weeks. With this it's hard to get the personable service I've heard about at other groups, but the body magic part confuses me too:

At ours once everyone has weighed the C uses the little PDA thing and goes round the people who have stayed at group saying whether they lossed, gained or sts and asks for a target for the next week. Once they have done everyone the group is over-am I missing something or is body magic meant to be more than this?

I've heard of groups doing tasting evenings, swapping recipes etc. Should I change to another local group?

I think reading out the PDA is a waste of time, which could be better spent IMO and its one of the reasons I jpoined here and started to do it from home as I found I got far more body magic here than at class. I now if I were a C I would do things far different, that would focus on helping the members stay focussed, which to me the PDA rubbish didn't. Like you said, bouncing idea's, doing recipes etc etc is far more helpful than knowing what the person next to you lost. I think slimmer of the week should continue but there is no need to spend ages on the PDA.

It can be boring at times when the c goes round the room but doing the pda gives everybody a chance to speak and there are many that don't say much and if they didn't get the opportunity to be spoken to individually its doubtful they would speak up accross the group.
I think most groups would do this as it is sw but if you want a more settled group then maybe you could try another?

Body magic is the exercise part of the plan, not something that happens in class.

Just didn't want you to think there was something exciting going on in classes that you were missing out on!

I can imagine until you get a more permanent consultant it would be hard for them to organise taster sessions etc - and in my experience they tend to do recipe swapping type things around these times anyway because people bring recipes they have made in, and then others want to try it and so...

Usually in our group we will have some sort of little discussion around a product thats a new Hex, or low syn, or an article that discusses some aspect of the psychology of weight loss, as well as the PDA.

I, to be honest, if faced with a choice between the PDA reading or SOTW, would opt for the PDA, as it gives everyone a fair chance of being congratulated for their efforts or discussing why they feel they may have gained this week. SOTW is a daft concept that does not take into account consistent regular losers, or people who do not have as much to lose and therefore lose lower amounts.

I say this as someone who won it 6 times. And frankly, it did me more harm than good. People can get annoyed when you consistently do better than them. I couldnt help that any more than they could.

It is nice to praise someone and make them feel special, but I just wish it didnt boil down to a numbers game...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll stick at it at the moment as I like the people and maybe when we get a permanent consultant it'll be different.

We always have a discussion. Often there are different things put out on the table, so you can see the difference or not in types of bread, free things on red green or EE. As the C goes round we try to help people that are struggling, often we're asked on a "good" week what our favourite meal was.
This wednesday is a taster day .
I think it depends on the C, but ours often covers for a class in adjoining towns and I know she does this there too. She is retired so perhaps she has the time, it must be difficult if you're working, but then that is what should be expected for your money.

I can imagine until you get a more permanent consultant it would be hard for them to organise taster sessions etc - and in my experience they tend to do recipe swapping type things around these times anyway because people bring recipes they have made in, and then others want to try it and so...

Usually in our group we will have some sort of little discussion around a product thats a new Hex, or low syn, or an article that discusses some aspect of the psychology of weight loss, as well as the PDA.

I, to be honest, if faced with a choice between the PDA reading or SOTW, would opt for the PDA, as it gives everyone a fair chance of being congratulated for their efforts or discussing why they feel they may have gained this week. SOTW is a daft concept that does not take into account consistent regular losers, or people who do not have as much to lose and therefore lose lower amounts.

I say this as someone who won it 6 times. And frankly, it did me more harm than good. People can get annoyed when you consistently do better than them. I couldnt help that any more than they could.

It is nice to praise someone and make them feel special, but I just wish it didnt boil down to a numbers game...

I agree in some ways about sotw I don't like the way that it shows that the person who lost the most is the best slimmer that week as its not neccesarily the case and conflicts the advice given about steady losses being better in the long run etc

I agree with this too, especially as, like you've said, it's about maintainable steady losses. It's nearly always the same person who gets it at our group anyway but I don't think there should be a 'competition' type thing when it comes to weight loss.

The C this week has made oat cake and bought it with a banana and custard muller light and also a hi-fi bar for everyone. I like this one, she's really nice. Maybe she'll stay as our permanent C.

Back