GSP's journey away from emotional eating

Hello GSP :) So pleased you are so close to getting your lovely new house . All the sweeter as it has been an uphill struggle for months and you have had disapointments along the way.

How nice to be only 9lb away from being in the overweight catagory. A nice little spur for you. Agree with Susu (who I want to find her bead) you will smash it :)

Back from NY and went to Lombardi's in Chinatown. Do you know it? Pizza didn't match up to Adriennes but Grandma's meatballs were gooood x (Lottie)

I think I've heard of it, Lottie, but haven't been there. Good to see you back, and hope you had a fab time in NY. :)

Down 2lbs since I last checked in! Which means I now weigh less than my husband, and I just have half a stone to go until I'm in the overweight category. Yay!

Hope you've all been well. Hope to pop back in for a proper catch up tomorrow. xx

Hi everyone! Hope February has been treating you well so far.

I had a sts this week. I had a few wobbles, so was expecting a gain, so I'll count that as a win!

I've been experimenting for the past few days with the 16:8 method. I'm finding that it's really good for helping me avoid binges, though I don't know how I'll do on it now it's the weekend. I tend to want to snack both late at night and early in the morning on Saturday. We shall see!

I've also been trying to get back on the exercise bandwagon. I've kept up with my walking the whole time, but let my weight training and other stuff slide. Downloaded an app that has 7 minute bodyweight workouts, so I really have no reason to say I can't make time for it now! Also, it rewards you with badges. I am about a hundred times more likely to keep up with exercise, calorie counting, etc, when I get badges. Deep down, I think I am still that 7 year old girl with a sticker album. :D

That made me chuckle :p Sending virtual "winner" and "superstar" badges to give you a boost gsp. What is 16:8 ? I'm presuming 8 hour eating 16hour fast ? what hours do you keep ? Lots of good vibes Lottie x

Morning! It's interesting that 16:8 is helping you keep from binging, I've heard a lot to recommend it. Personally I try to make sure that I go at least 12 hrs between my evening meal and breakfast, usually 14-16 hours. I'm not usually desperately hungry first thing in the morning so I just get a cup of tea and get on with something else for a few hours until I get hunger pangs.

If I'm really feeling hungry first thing, though, I do eat. I'm not sure it affects my loss either way but I think it makes me feel a bit fuller/more satisfied if I've had all my food in a shorter space of time? If that makes sense.

Yep, that's exactly what it is, Lottie! I have my breakfast at about 10 (will have tea or coffee before that), and finish eating by 6 PM.

I'm not usually desperately hungry first thing in the morning, either, Amneris. Except on Saturdays and when I'm on holiday, for some reason. I used to never eat breakfast when I was heavier. I started eating around 11 and kept eating late into the night back then. It's the late night snacking that is hardest for me to quit. I definitely feel more satisfied having all of my food in a shorter space of time, so it makes perfect sense to me. :) It feels like I'm eating more than I really am, since I don't have enough time between meals to get ravenously hungry, I guess!

Hi everyone! Hope February has been treating you well so far.

I had a sts this week. I had a few wobbles, so was expecting a gain, so I'll count that as a win!

I've been experimenting for the past few days with the 16:8 method. I'm finding that it's really good for helping me avoid binges, though I don't know how I'll do on it now it's the weekend. I tend to want to snack both late at night and early in the morning on Saturday. We shall see!

I've also been trying to get back on the exercise bandwagon. I've kept up with my walking the whole time, but let my weight training and other stuff slide. Downloaded an app that has 7 minute bodyweight workouts, so I really have no reason to say I can't make time for it now! Also, it rewards you with badges. I am about a hundred times more likely to keep up with exercise, calorie counting, etc, when I get badges. Deep down, I think I am still that 7 year old girl with a sticker album. :D
Hi gsp. What app are you using? Sounds great and something I could do -7 minutes sounds achievable.

It's called Seven, Crafty Girl. If you have an iphone, it's in the featured apps in the app store this week. I don't know if they have an android version.

You have to pay 2.99 per workout to get any workouts beyond the basic one, though, which seemed like a complete rip off to me, so to add some variety I made some of my own 7-8 minute bodyweight workouts on the app I have on my tablet (which is android). That one is called Body Kiss HIIT Timer, and is entirely in German, but is the best one I've found for android! And I can work out what they mean well enough to muddle through creating my workouts. :D No badges on that one, though... so I'm just running the app on my iphone as well while I do the tablet workouts. I need those little motivational stickers. ;)

Found it and installed. Will try it out later

Hi GSP. Good luck with the new plan. I don't think I could go without eating for that long, I'm a little and often kinda girl, but I hope it works for you!

Good on you for starting up the excercise again. You're making me think about pulling out my yoga mat to restart what I got into last year :)

How's things on the house front? Are you moving?

Has anyone tried the walking videos you can get on YouTube? I'm not capable of a lot of exercise but am thinking of having a go at those.

I'm pretty sure chezz has done those, Amneris. I think there are a few very gentle ones to get you started if you aren't used to much exercise. I highly recommend walking for getting into exercise, anyway. It's how I started! I could barely manage the 1 mile into town a few years back. Now I can walk 10 miles if I need to.

Weighed in this morning, and I lost 1 lb. :) I'm still liking the 16:8. It makes my breakfast feel like a feast!

I have been having GREAT success with batch cooking. It's so nice to have things already prepared in the evening, and to just need to reheat them. I am using one drawer in the freezer for the batch cooked stuff. I don't know how people get through a whole week of pre-made food and keep in in their fridge. :/ After a few days in the fridge it starts to look dodgy to me!

Had a sneaky weigh in this morning, since I felt like it, and it was 2lbs lower than last time!

I've also been speed walking for my walks, rather than just regular walking. I did it last year sometime, but stopped when I got all stressed out. Liking it so far--it means I don't need to spend quite as long out in the cold before I reach my fitbit step goal. :D

I have been feeling really negative about the way I look lately, though. I feel like I was more confident when I was heavier, because then my body at least looked its age. Now things are saggy and wrinkled with all the excess skin. It's so silly, because so often I say on here that people shouldn't say anything to themselves that they wouldn't say to a dear friend, but I am horrible at taking my own advice! I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing, and that it'll pass with time as I start to feel healthier and healthier.

Hope you've all had great weeks. xx

I felt exactly the same when I'd lost 10 stone, GSP. I didn't look older per se but felt like I looked far worse without clothes than I ever did when I was bigger. Since I've regained part of that weight I'm in this weird midway point. Sadly I don't think I'll ever be okay with my 'thinner' body unless i get surgery (and even then not hugely okay) and I'm not okay being fat either! Still, my clothes fit better when I'm thinner so that's what I'm aiming for right now - you're so right, it's incredibly hard not to be negative about ourselves. I don't see other people as flawed, whatever their size, and I accept everyone, but can't accept myself whatever I do?? Its an odd situation.

You're doing amazingly with your losses, though and your body is still changing a lot, I'm sure it will get to a place you're happier with.

Now, what kind of things do you batch cook? I am horrendous about leftovers, I only cook for myself most of the time and have to cook just a personal sized amount as I get anxious about leftovers that are more than a day old. I really should learn some healthy meals I could freeze, I'd love to hear what you've been making.

Thanks, Amneris. :) It really is an odd situation, isn't it? It's a whole lot easier to be nice to other people than to be nice to myself. I do prefer the way I look in clothes now, at least. And I like being able to shop in regular high street shops, rather than having to go to Yours et al. I do still go to Yours, but I like having a choice in the matter.

I make 3 meals when I batch cook, and I prepare 4 servings of each meal, which equals one day of each meal straight out of the freezer and one day of it being leftovers (since I'm cooking for myself + husband). I usually make something quick like sandwiches or a pasta salad on the day I batch cook, to make up the 7th meal for the week. This past week I made roasted vegetable lasagne, bean and veg quesadillas, and curried carrot and apple soup. I have pyrex storage thingys that can be used to freeze the food and to cook it in, which is handy. I make vegetables to go on the side on the day we eat the food, since that only takes a few minutes and can be done while the food is reheating. For things like lasagne, though, I don't cook it; I just put it together and then freeze it.

Oh, I also made a seitan stew (I'm veggie) for lunches for myself for the week. Ate one serving that day, froze half, stuck the other half in the fridge. It seemed fine for the 3 days. Soups and stews in general freeze really well, and are easy to make. I think it took me 2.5 hours, total, to make all of that--part of it included eating my lunch while the vegetables for the lasagne and quesadillas roasted.

You are getting just more and more sorted GSP ! batch cooking, walking fast, good for you, you deserve it you have worked hard for it chick :)
I wish you felt better about your shrinking bod and hope its just a passing phase and you can be entirely proud of your losses again soon.
Hopefully the house legals will be completed soon too. lottie x

Back