gym

fennerxo

hello,
the other week i was completely off plan but still visited the gym 4 times in the same week and i still gained, now i know this is probably due to the amount of junk i ate!

but i was just wondering if anyone goes to the gym and sticks to plan and gains? due to water retention and muscle stuff?
any help much appreciated x

As far as my previous experience can teach me, it seems that people tend to have slower or no losses in the first couple of weeks of starting or increasing exercise, but when they stick at it, it pays off in the form of fast losses! One guy at our group started cycling everyday, first week he STS, the week after he lost 6lb! I think it's partly because the body can go into starvation mode when exercise is increased drastically or something :)

thank you, it better work i have just joined for the year haha xx

I think that was partly the reason for my first week gain as I also went back to the gym after an absence. I lost in my second week and third weigh in next Tuesday.

You wouldn't have gained weight due to building muscles...muscle takes a heck of a lot more time and effort than a week even if you went everyday.

It could be slight water retention, but it's 95% more likely to be because of the bad eating.

fennerxo said:
hello,
the other week i was completely off plan but still visited the gym 4 times in the same week and i still gained, now i know this is probably due to the amount of junk i ate!

but i was just wondering if anyone goes to the gym and sticks to plan and gains? due to water retention and muscle stuff?
any help much appreciated x

Sorry but i think it was due mainly to what you ate. Exercise doesnt always guarantee you can lose weight without worrying about what you eat. As others have said building muscle would only happen over time and it would only happen if you did serious strength training. The weeks ive had better losses are when i exercised most.

i started going the gym- i got a free pass

i go to an NHS run class and i have to be weighed there- thats on a monday- sw on a tuesday (which i count really)

i went the gym sunday afternoon/evening and did a decent cardio workout. monday came and between monday and monday i sts, not even a .1kg change

but the next day between tuesday and tuesday i lost 3.5lb!

it was down to mainly water weight. i obviously hadn't been for a #1 enough times between the gym and monday morning :p

so if you go the gym the night before weigh in- it could just be water weight :)

My weight loss slowed to half a pound the three weeks I went to gym, the week I stopped ( because I had hip problems) I lost 4 lb! I was sticking to plan so definitely wasn't that I was eating junk! I needed the boost of losing so I stopped going, but will start again this week.

I find that as long as I drink enough water I lose most when I exercise. I just make an effort to drink 1-2pts water during and after exercise in addition to the 3-4 pints I drink during the day anyway. Exercise can cause you to retain water if you don't drink enough!

I find that as long as I drink enough water I lose most when I exercise. I just make an effort to drink 1-2pts water during and after exercise in addition to the 3-4 pints I drink during the day anyway. Exercise can cause you to retain water if you don't drink enough!

Thanks for that I know I didn't go off plan but I also know I didn't drink enough

hey guys its me again here to moan haha!!
last week i was good allll week like under 5 syns a day! apart from wednesday i went to toby and had a carvery and on saturday i went to a party and had 2 pieces of chocolate cake and i went to the gym 3 times and gained 2 pounds! it was so unfair :(

fennerxo said:
hey guys its me again here to moan haha!!
last week i was good allll week like under 5 syns a day! apart from wednesday i went to toby and had a carvery and on saturday i went to a party and had 2 pieces of chocolate cake and i went to the gym 3 times and gained 2 pounds! it was so unfair :(

Im sorry if what i say sounds harsh, but i dont believe the gym is the issue here. On most days you have been under your syns, but on the days youve detailed above you may well have ended up going over. Last time i went toby carvery all the veg and new pots were served in butter/oil which can add a lot of unaccounted for syns. Then there are yorkies and gravy on top of that, again made with fat adding syns. As for the chocolate cake, 1oz comes in at about 6.5 syns according to the book which means even a slither could be a days worth of syns!!

Have you thought about doing a food diary for your consultant for them to have a look at?

Back