Half marathon training

shazz, i found when training for this years half marathon, despite the running and the mileage i was putting in my weight stayed the same!!!!! It was v.frustrating but I had the goal of the 1/2 as my priority instead of the losing weight.

If you have no goal in mind for your running at the minute maybe drop it down to 3 or 4 runs a week, shorter distances with a bit more speed, say maybe a 30-40min run and count your calories. Work out your BMR rate and that should see those 2lbs banished within 2 weeks :)

Thanks guys :)
Think I am guilty of not drinking enough water, so will try and do something about that.
Think my running goal is probably more important than my weight Summer. So I will just have to put up with it until after my half in March. Then will concentrate on losing the last few lbs.

I am now feeling really poorly, so no running for me for a few days....ggggrrrrr!!!

I have set myself a target for the end of the year.......I want to be up to 10 miles!! Scary thought, but I am up to 7.5 miles, so not that much further.

I know I'm alot further behind you all, and alot slower, but I'm on track with my training plan, and did 7.5k tonight (on the treadmill after work)
Am really pleased as I'd been in work since 8.30 this morning and went to the gym at 8pm!!
I did walk the first 5 mins, then ran for 17, walked for 1 and continued up to 65 mins :) loving it tho :) going to attempt the 10k on Thursday x

You're doing brilliant tiger.
Everybody has their pace etc jus remember to build up the distance slowly :)

You are indeed doing great WelshTigger. I am very slow too but when I set off on my 10k I just kept telling myself that it was my race and I was going at my own speed. To me the important thing is that I'm doing it rather than how long it takes. Good luck with your 10k x

I work with a Kenyan. His pb for the marathon is 2:08. He says the secret of the Kenyans is a very low fat diet, very high carb so you can train consistently over the years and to pace yourself come race day. He says that the first mile should be the same speed as the last mile.

I bought one of those garmin 310xt watches. its been pretty handy. Im not going to be running 2:08 for the marathon but a sub 3 is realistic he says.

Eat like a kenyan to run like a kenyan he says lol!

Sounds tasty to me.

I like the sound of lots of carbs ;) hahah
I have a garmin coming from santa for xmas the 305 - can't wait to get out and try it!! lol x

I have a Garmin and love the website you upload to. Really good to see your progress.
I like the sound of lots of carbs. :)

Still no running for me, still have cold /flu. Getting very fed up, hoping to get a run in this w/e, but not sure if I will be up to it, just making a meal is tiring me out!!!!

I find walking really helps with cold/flu.
Last year the time between Xmas & new year I had a v.bad cold and went for a walk and u instantly feel better & not only that you're still exercising :)

Well I was a bit silly yesterday. I had not not run for 10 days due to this poxy cold/flu, so was getting really frustrated. Still didn't feel 100% yesterday, but my head convinced me it would be ok to run 5k. So that's what I did. Then I spent the rest of the night coughing and really paying the price. Needless to say I will not make that mistake again!!!!!

Hope you've recovered now Shazzibar. I'm starting my half marathon training on Monday and I have a cold threatening so hopefully I can shift it by then. Who else is starting the Hal Higdon plan on Monday?

coachnomad said:
Hope you've recovered now Shazzibar. I'm starting my half marathon training on Monday and I have a cold threatening so hopefully I can shift it by then. Who else is starting the Hal Higdon plan on Monday?

Meeeeeeeee!!! Lol! Altho my plan tells me Monday is a rest day! So that means I technically start on Tuesday! x

Ah, that's right, I couldn't remember who it was! No technically we start Monday as a rest day is part of the plan!!! I hope I've shifted this cold by then

coachnomad said:
Ah, that's right, I couldn't remember who it was! No technically we start Monday as a rest day is part of the plan!!! I hope I've shifted this cold by then

Do you fancy buddying up 'virtually' for the training? Bit of extra support?

I'm just hoping this cold goes!! I'm a bit weary about using the app because when I used it last time it didn't work properly one day. Apparently my GPS signal wasn't strong enough. I don't know whether to do it using my Nike+ app?!?

coachnomad said:
I'm just hoping this cold goes!! I'm a bit weary about using the app because when I used it last time it didn't work properly one day. Apparently my GPS signal wasn't strong enough. I don't know whether to do it using my Nike+ app?!?

I'm planning on running the two apps together-I start them and just leave the Nike+ app in the background

Oooh exciting! When is your 1/2 marathon?
I'm starting my training on Jan 20th!! :D

Back