Half marathon training

well done!:D

Excellent result - well done x

Hi all, this is a really good thread. Back after a long break!
I've always been an exerciser but for the last 5 months I've been consistantly running in addition to playing sport. I'm doing a 10K race every month for 5 months and hoping to do a marathon in October. Since I really started running I CANNOT shift any weight, I'm not sure if its because I now eat real food after a few years of very low calorie diets, Lipotrim and eventually a pretty serious bout of bulemia. Most of my clothes still fit so I'm not hugely bigger than I was a stone lighter than now but the weight is sticking to me like "no more nails".
So I'm taking on a new approach - 3 of my 5 runs a week I'm running shorter distances 4-5km at a much higher pace or in intervals. The other 2 runs I will use to keep my distances up - 8-12km for now and later 12-15, 16-20 as the fitness comes (fingers crossed).
I'm also introducing protein products to my diet, I've read a lot of reviews about Maxitone Sculptress so going to give that a try. If any one has any comments/suggestions I'd really appreciate it. To happiness and health
Siobh

the month before my half marathon im doing two runs (10am 10k, 11.30am 5k)

accident that im doing the 5k though, i thought that 5k was yesterdays run, not in september. well ive paid now, and i might aswell do it :) good practise for my half!

Exiguous - I have the same problem with weight loss. I am only 5lb away from goal, but have been in this place for nearly a year. Which is about the same time my running increased. I am still determined to get there though. If I find a way of breaking through I will let you know :)
Good luck with your marathon!! Keep us all posted.

I am still really sore from the race on Sunday, but my head really wants to go running. It's my day off so I normally do 6-7 miles on a Wed. Think I might x-train instead and start back at the w/e.

Gina- did I read your post wrong or are you doing a 10k and 5k on the same day???

Thanks Shazzabir, if anyone's looking for a really good training plan for running the My Asics site is really good.

Hi exiguous, I shall check that site out too. I too am stuck at the same weight which is very annoying.

Shazz how did the cross training go?

No bother - struggled with my 5km today I was trying to do it in 25 minutes wearing Zoggora hotpants - their ment to help you loose weight 4 times faster....not sure that thats true but they certainly make you sweat 4 times more!! They certainly make your skin very soft!

Exiguous - I have the same problem with weight loss. I am only 5lb away from goal, but have been in this place for nearly a year. Which is about the same time my running increased. I am still determined to get there though. If I find a way of breaking through I will let you know :)
Good luck with your marathon!! Keep us all posted.

I am still really sore from the race on Sunday, but my head really wants to go running. It's my day off so I normally do 6-7 miles on a Wed. Think I might x-train instead and start back at the w/e.

Gina- did I read your post wrong or are you doing a 10k and 5k on the same day???

nope, you read it right. the 10k is at 10am, the 5k is at 11.30am :( puts pressure on me to finish the 10k faster though, would take me about 1 1/2 hours anyway, pressure to finsih it sooner now :/

I've been struggling to lose weight since before Christmas, and it's taken an absolute AGE to lose anything! I've felt I've been going backwards and forwards over the same 1/2 stone and it's also co-incided with when I upped the running. However the inches have still been coming off. However in the last 2 weeks I've lost 3 1/2lbs and it's almost as though I've beaten my body into submission and it's "allowing" me to lose again! I know I don't have much to lose (the stone it says on my profile is beginning to seem too low for me), but I'm now happy the weigh is moving in the right direction again.

I've been struggling to lose weight since before Christmas, and it's taken an absolute AGE to lose anything! I've felt I've been going backwards and forwards over the same 1/2 stone and it's also co-incided with when I upped the running. However the inches have still been coming off. However in the last 2 weeks I've lost 3 1/2lbs and it's almost as though I've beaten my body into submission and it's "allowing" me to lose again! I know I don't have much to lose (the stone it says on my profile is beginning to seem too low for me), but I'm now happy the weigh is moving in the right direction again.

Littlemeercat, i am so glad I read your post. I thought it was just me! Definitely have found the running has given me a fantastic shape but it took me 3 months to loose half a stone and now I am bouncing up and down again on the scales. I too feel it has coincided with upping the running.

Mind you I am not complaining - No one believes me when I tell them what weight I am, they all think I am 1
stone lighter than I actually am, so the running must be helping.

Hi Fairymary, I thought it was just me struggling with the last few pounds as well! However I love the fact that my breathing and heart rate recover very quickly from a run and also that I've slimmed into size 10 clothes. I don't think I'd be there if it wasn't for the running. 15 years ago I was a size 10, but I weighed just over 9 stone then, and a dress I kept from that time fits perfectly now! The running and inch loss seems to be miles better than the scales suggest. I get told by so many people that I should stop losing as I look fine, but they then can't believe I still weigh over 10 stone. For me I think my end weight will be a psychological decision, not one based on looks or the scales as such. Even when I do declare target, I think I will still be toning so what difference will the actual stated weight make, if that makes sense. I'm already a healthy weight so any more I lose is my choice rather than through necessity.

Hi Fairymary, I thought it was just me struggling with the last few pounds as well! However I love the fact that my breathing and heart rate recover very quickly from a run and also that I've slimmed into size 10 clothes. I don't think I'd be there if it wasn't for the running. 15 years ago I was a size 10, but I weighed just over 9 stone then, and a dress I kept from that time fits perfectly now! The running and inch loss seems to be miles better than the scales suggest. I get told by so many people that I should stop losing as I look fine, but they then can't believe I still weigh over 10 stone. For me I think my end weight will be a psychological decision, not one based on looks or the scales as such. Even when I do declare target, I think I will still be toning so what difference will the actual stated weight make, if that makes sense. I'm already a healthy weight so any more I lose is my choice rather than through necessity.

Guess its proof that the scales means very little at the end of the day when you've reached health and fitness like you have - well done you
:)

Can't believe I have Race for Life 10k on Saturday! It will be my first race ever and seems to have come round very quickly!. . . then onwards to half marathon in November.

Can't believe I have Race for Life 10k on Saturday! It will be my first race ever and seems to have come round very quickly!. . . then onwards to half marathon in November.

good luck! :D

there is no 10k race for lifes near me, only 5k's :(

Back