Half marathon training

Hi all, i have signed up for my first half marathon on Sept 23rd. I started my training and not doing too badly. Going out 4 nights a week so tonight is my 8k night. Just hoped I'd be able to tap into all the experts and knowlege on this thread. Will be checking in with you all so hopefully I will get through it!!

Well done Shazz, personally im a non watch/phone/etc runner if im out im out and its me and the road. Cant bare the looking down it gives me motion sickness lol
I did the London 10k race today. My official time was 60.46, so only 46 secs off my target.
My main problem was the rain and my Garmin 405cx......they are not waterproof!!!! I only got a small amount of rain on it, but it screwed up completely!!! So I had to run very blind, could not monitor pace, distance or time. I did not realise how dependant I am on my watch. Anyway I almost hit my time and I'm sure if my watch was working I would have done. Will still enter another 10k so I can hit under 60 mins.
Anyone with a garmin please be aware they do not like water at all...!!!!

Hi Fairymary, good luck with your training. As soon as I've shifted this cold I'll be joining you. Why is it when you can't run you want to run all the time???? Ah well, time enough.

That's great Fairymary!! Similar race dates to mine and Coach's race too :)

Hi Fairymary, good luck with your training. As soon as I've shifted this cold I'll be joining you. Why is it when you can't run you want to run all the time???? Ah well, time enough.

my 2 kids and husband have all gone down with a cold in the last week so I am trying to avoid catching it - I really dont need one right now.

Hopefully you will recover soon and get back out on the road - let us know when you do and we can encourage one another to get out there and run!

Guys I'm having trainer dilemma!

I'm normally a 6.5-7 usually a 7 (have one pair of 6.5!) do you think I should go for a 7.5 or an 8?! Size wise?! I know you have to buy bigger! Xx

started pushing myself to do more milage now, tuesdays run was 6 miles and upped it to 7 and half miles today. my pace was slower but im really pleased about doing more than 6 miles!
going to do a long run on saturdays, aiming to do 9 miles

one question though, after a run, i feel like i could eat a horse. my stomach was growling that loud my mum could hear from the other side of the room, i ate soon after but how to stop the hunger being so bad? i can have anything to eat before the run on tues/thurs, my dinner break at 12.45 and theres a no eating at your desk rule at work. i run after work around half 4. ill get a warning if im caught eating at my desk and im on my second one, after the third warning people do get sacked :/

gina_b said:
started pushing myself to do more milage now, tuesdays run was 6 miles and upped it to 7 and half miles today. my pace was slower but im really pleased about doing more than 6 miles!
going to do a long run on saturdays, aiming to do 9 miles

one question though, after a run, i feel like i could eat a horse. my stomach was growling that loud my mum could hear from the other side of the room, i ate soon after but how to stop the hunger being so bad? i can have anything to eat before the run on tues/thurs, my dinner break at 12.45 and theres a no eating at your desk rule at work. i run after work around half 4. ill get a warning if im caught eating at my desk and im on my second one, after the third warning people do get sacked :/

Gina, I used to have the same problem with hunger. I found eating pasta within 10-15 mins of a run sorted that.

Mizkirsty said:
Guys I'm having trainer dilemma!

I'm normally a 6.5-7 usually a 7 (have one pair of 6.5!) do you think I should go for a 7.5 or an 8?! Size wise?! I know you have to buy bigger! Xx

I always thought you had to go bigger, but my last two trainers have been the same size as my normal footwear.
Have you thought about going to a running shop to get measured?

Gina, I used to have the same problem with hunger. I found eating pasta within 10-15 mins of a run sorted that.

i have a big bag of pasta in the kitchen, ill start trying that tip from saturday, thanks.

assuming anything with a high carb content too? my after run meal today wasnt satisfactory at all- tin soup and 2 slices of bread.

Shazzabir said:
I always thought you had to go bigger, but my last two trainers have been the same size as my normal footwear.
Have you thought about going to a running shop to get measured?

I have been in to a shop to have gait analysis etc! But he put me in my usual sized trainers but my coach (or running group leader) suggested or pretty much told me to buy a size bigger if I didn't want blisters or black or no toenails!

I just kinda wanted to see what everyone else choses - I mean I'm only training for a 10k nowhere near the distance of you guys but thought you'd all e experts :) xxx

my runners are half a size bigger, but all my trainers are no matter if they are runners or just my casual trainers. my only foot issues have been bleeding toes but that isnt caused by trainers, its my actual toes. my toes overlap, and the nail digs in the skin of my other toe alot. no shoes will ever solve that problem!

Ok thanks for the advice guys! I'm still not sure what I'll do its seems to be a personal type of thing so maybe I'll just have to try it and see!

My Nike trainers are my usual size but Nike are usually bigger and I like the toe room! Hmmmm xx

My trainers are also the same size as my normal shoes and I wear thick socks as well. The only thing was, I needed to really losen the laces at the top, then they were comfy. I'm going to have a gait analysis done over the next couple of weeks. Don't need new trainers, but I just want to be sure I'm in the correct ones.

pushed myself to do 9 miles today, went a little over so my total distance came to 9.31 miles.

my running socks are in the wash, so my last two runs ive used my normal trainer socks and each time ive got holes in them after running! going to have no socks left at this rate...

ill try and keep up the weekly distances, two 7 1/2 miles and one big 9 mile at the weekend.

Decided to try something different today so I did interval training. I dug out a 20 minute programe from a magazine and tried that. I managed it and was really pleased with myself. Very out of breath but I think I'll keep it in for a session each week, I could do with increasing my speed as the long runs are going nicely. I can write it up if anyone is interested?

Back